Isolated at Work

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I was curious how many people on here work from home? I have been doing it for the past 2 or 3 years and it is very isolating for me. I have a good day if I go in to our office and reconnect with people and get a better sense of purpose. Then I have a slow slide of confidence and happiness with each day that follows until I go into the office again. It has been a few weeks since I have seen a coworker in person and it pretty much sucks.

What has anyone else done to deal with this? I find myself just embracing the isolation, even though I know it is bad and will make me less happy.

I don't work from home, but I mainly work alone... so I am also very isolated. It is only once or twice a month that I will see any colleagues. I do see my staff, and my clients.. but only for a short period of time each day, and we certainly do not socialize. It's very hard for me to be so isolated at work, then come home only to be alone again.

I am trying to join volunteer groups, and interest groups and such.. but so far, i haven't found much of anything i click with and enjoy. I wish i had words of advice... but we are in the same boat.

What do you do at home?
I recently started pursuing my hobbies and taking some art courses, so it's definitely a way to meet new people and do something fun.

What do you enjoy as a hobby?
While of course it won't solve all your problems; it may give you a sense of purpose - even if for a while.
Tomorrow I'm attending a volunteer fair and hoping to help out the city with the summer art festivals.
It's at least something to look forward to.

I know how hard it is.
Every day can be a struggle, but just hang in there.
Find your passion...

I'm working on my thesis, and for the last two years of it I've been in virtual isolation. I'm sure the loneliness is affecting my ability to think properly - which of course just drags the whole thing out. I'll never again put myself in this situation.

Why not go into the office everyday, or every couple of days? If you don't have to do this to yourself, then why do it?

I'm not really in the same boat, since for me it's disability that keeps me in the house all the time, but I agree you do start to feel like you're going bonkers after a bit.

Wow - thanks for the quick responses. It's just nice to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Short term, I don't see a change for myself. The office is 1.5 hrs away and no one is ever there unless we all schedule to meet there. My brain is definitely mush a lot and I feel like I have lost some of my communication skills.

However, long term is positive. I've been accepted to a PhD program where I will be surrounded by colleagues, at least for the beginning. AndrewM - once I get past course work, I might feel like you feel. I did pretty well with my master's, because I sat at a desk next to 3 other people while I crunched my data.

Luna, I've found that signing up for fun classes has helped me. Right now, it is pottery. Last year it was sailing. But usually when the class ends, my social opportunities end with it.

Still, overall, I feel okay, because I know that I have a long term plan in place. And I can't see myself accepting a work from home type of job again.

Latest posts

Back