It's happening again

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackarydoo

Reaction score
No sooner do I manage to finally get a bunch of new people to write to and be my friend, that most of them give up. One today has.....well not exactly, but it's complicated and however you look at it, I don't think I'll be friends with her much longer. Several others have just stopped writing for no reason I'm aware of. A few really nice people are still left, but.....well I'll always worry they'll give up on me too. :(

I often feel like there's no point even trying anymore.

Well, don't judge all of them by the actions of some is the best advice I can give.

I'm not judging them all - But it's just hard sometimes when even the people who I trust the most and who I don't think will ever let me down, still end up letting me down in a big way. Any remaining 'real' friends will understand why I find it hard to trust anyone.

i hear ya, it's happened to me too..

i try not to have too many expectations or internalize the reasons why someone stops writing..

don't blame yourself..

nothing else to do but keep having a go i reckon :)

It's not easy to find people who'd write to you consistently. Sometimes, its entirely circumstancial and I've learnt to just accept it as well...part of the way things go in life, I supposed. I used to be this really consistent kid writing to pen pals by snail mail (gawd, that was painful on my hands esp since I wrote like pages and pages and pages...). It always ends up that eventually, one of them would stop. And I'd get disappointed. A little disillussioned. I shy away from writing so I don't have to get dissappointed again...until I recover, the need to reach out and know a new friend builds up in me..and then I pick up the pen and start writing. Ok, granted that over the years, I've now turned too lazy to write snail mails anymore, but after a few hit and run cases with pen pals and stuff, I've just come to accept it the way it is.

I used to wonder...corrrr, is it the way I write? Did I say something wrong? Perhaps I came across as a little psychotic? It is strange how I can be as quiet as a clam in real life but can write on and on and on given half the chance. Perhaps I'm boring. I've always turned the finger to myself and questioned that maybe it is me. Quite frankly, maybe it is (ok, at some point, I can't shut up :p) but sometimes, it is not. People just stop writing. Perhaps other things came along and they forget. A lot of possibilities why some people stop writing, my friend, but it ain't your fault.

Like what Power2thePeople said, don't blame yourself. Just keep going :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll try not to think that it's my fault, but it is hard to. So often when I get to know someone I'm writing to, the issue of how people always stop writing to me comes up. They always say something like, "That won't happen with me". Well these days that means nothing to me at all because I know it's just meaningless words. Maybe they mean it at the time, but that means nothing at all later when they get sick of me.

I wish people would at least have the decency to explain to me why they do it. If I've done something wrong, they can yell at me or whatever, but don't just disappear without a word. Someone from these forums has done it recently and I haven't heard from her for well over a week, when it used to usually be a daily letter. I know a week isn't long, but when it used to be daily, it is a pretty good sign that they've given up. That is what it's always meant with people in the past when they haven't written for that long. Part of me worries about this person in case something bad happened to them - But the bigger part of me hates that I'm so concerned, because experience tells me that it's a lot more likely they've simple had enough of me. She was one of the many who's more than once claimed she wouldn't stop writing, because I'm such a nice guy, blah blah blah. Yea, so nice that they don't want to know me.

I accept that people sometimes have their reasons, although they should always write to explain them unless they're physically unable to. If they simply forgot or something, then they weren't particularly good friends in the first place. I don't tend to just write to people as penpals, but I try getting to know them well, we share stuff, maybe speak to a few on the phone sometimes. These people I write to are the only people I know other than family, so the only friends I have. So if they can just forget me, that's a bit depressing.

Anyway thanks for listening to me moaning.

I think that people just get bored with writing. It isn't enough for them. I've met a few people over the years who I really enjoyed writing, but they just kind of vanished. Sometimes, I'd write back and ask if I had said something offensive or maybe they were getting bored. I'm always told something like, "Oh, I've just been busy... I'll get back to you later." Of course, it never happens. It's not just you- it's just something that happens.

nerdygirl said:
I think that people just get bored with writing. It isn't enough for them. I've met a few people over the years who I really enjoyed writing, but they just kind of vanished. Sometimes, I'd write back and ask if I had said something offensive or maybe they were getting bored. I'm always told something like, "Oh, I've just been busy... I'll get back to you later." Of course, it never happens. It's not just you- it's just something that happens.

That's exactly how it's gone for me many times. It's nice to know I'm not alone, but a shame that so many people are like it. Writing isn't always enough for me, as I want to get to know someone more, maybe speak or even meet someday. I can't get to that point if I give up writing to them though.

Well, it's always better to give the person the benefit of the doubt. A few months ago I disappeared suddenly for 5 days; while I tried to get a message through (I had no internet at home), I found out later it hadn't gone through as I'd assumed it had.

Not all friendships work out in the long run; that's true online and in real life. But just because some friendships didn't last doesn't mean the rest won't.

I understand your point Steel, but when something has happened 100 times, you tend to expect it on the 101st time. I hope I'm proved wrong on this latest occasion.

Latest posts

Back