Just been diagnosed with Aspergers.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
I was told on Friday that I have Aspergers. Although I had suspected it, it is still quite a shock. The nurse told me that I think differently than most people, though I am not sure how exactly. It was odd talking to her, because it felt like she knew how I was thinking and this highlighted to me just how out of place I often feel with people.
Anyway, it is a relief to know what my problem is and now I can come to terms with it and the implications.

I'm glad you found this out. I remember you mentioning in your earlier posts that you suspected you had it.

Everyone thinks differently than the next person. That said, yes, people with Asperger's are....on a different wave length. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the easiest way to describe it. Chances are you come to the same basic conclusions as everyone else, but you just get there in a completely different way.

Having a diagnosis doesn't change who you are, you're the same person that you were before. There are many options for treatment and there's no reason you can't overcome any "issues" you may have.

May I ask if you got or if you are thinking about getting a second opinion? You should seriously think about getting one if you haven't, Asperger's can very difficult to diagnose.

Good luck and don't let any labels get you down.

Ya about the labels...don't let it get you down. Soooo many people have it and it's really not a big issue. Too many people I know that have it use it to blame all their problems...but really, everyone has their own challenges and situations to face.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
It is just a condition, it doesn't define your personality or who you are. It's just a label.

Completely agree! No need to be intimidated by silly labels, Tina :)

I dare you to point to ONE person in this world that is "normal"! Hugs.

@ Tiina63

I'm glad that a diagnosis has been found and things can start moving forward :D. Know that all of us on ALL will always support you.

Let us know if there is anything we can do :).

Tiina63 said:
I was told on Friday that I have Aspergers. Although I had suspected it, it is still quite a shock. The nurse told me that I think differently than most people, though I am not sure how exactly. It was odd talking to her, because it felt like she knew how I was thinking and this highlighted to me just how out of place I often feel with people.
Anyway, it is a relief to know what my problem is and now I can come to terms with it and the implications.

what is aspergers though ?

I was also diagnosed with Aspergers as a child and it the diagnosis was very helpful to me as it gave me a greater understanding of certain attributes of my mind and it helped me a hell of a lot throughout school. It also stopped people ignorantly dismissing my behaviour as just "quirky" among other things.

The thing which is worrying me is that I fit some of the traits but others I don't. As a child I was very imaginative and was always inventing stories to act out either on my own or with other kids. And although I find small talk very hard with most people, I can do it if I push myself hard. Inside I am floundering around for something to say, but this does not show on the surface.

Everything in life is practice! Social skills do not come magically to a person.

The thing is, don't people with aspergers look nervous socially and find that they dry up conversationwise? With me, it takes someone very perceptive to notice that I find making smalltalk a struggle and that it is exhausting me.
I prefer being in small groups as there is less pressure on me to 'perform'. One to one is harder becuase of the increased pressure to talk.

Yes, I like to think of these kinds of mental diagnoses as being just a useful way to get a handle on a group of symptoms/problematic traits which tend to accompany each other. It's not something that should define you. No two people with these diagnoses (talking aspergers, ADHD, personality disorders etc) are the same, instead you need to work on your self-development as it's relevant to you. You're YOU, you're not a person with aspergers!

My first reaction to the thread title was "yay!". :) You might not think that way right now, or maybe you are relieved, I don't know. But for decades there has been a growing movement of people who are mad-proud (or survivors, or questioning the label given to them). Also, there are many people are proud of being part of autistic culture, and learn and grow in those communities.

As others in this forum have said, you're not your diagnosis alone. And, it's not a "problem", and you're not a "problem".

If there is ever a chance to be stubborn, it's now.
Don't accept the expectations and/or limitations that the world will now think you have. Blast everyone away by showing them what you can do.

Latest posts

Back