Just Some Ideas About Life/Morality, Etc.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelygirl

I was raised a Christian but I am very attracted to certain Buddhist beliefs---primarily, that Life Is Suffering.

Here are some cool and interesting ideas I cut and pasted...what do you think?

The Noble Eightfold Path

1. Right View Wisdom
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech Ethical Conduct
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort Mental Development
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

3. Right Speech

Right speech is the first principle of ethical conduct in the eightfold path. Ethical conduct is viewed as a guideline to moral discipline, which supports the other principles of the path. This aspect is not self-sufficient, however, essential, because mental purification can only be achieved through the cultivation of ethical conduct. The importance of speech in the context of Buddhist ethics is obvious: words can break or save lives, make enemies or friends, start war or create peace. Buddha explained right speech as follows: 1. to abstain from false speech, especially not to tell deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully, 2. to abstain from slanderous speech and not to use words maliciously against others, 3. to abstain from harsh words that offend or hurt others, and 4. to abstain from idle chatter that lacks purpose or depth. Positively phrased, this means to tell the truth, to speak friendly, warm, and gently and to talk only when necessary.

4. Right Action

The second ethical principle, right action, involves the body as natural means of expression, as it refers to deeds that involve bodily actions. Unwholesome actions lead to unsound states of mind, while wholesome actions lead to sound states of mind. Again, the principle is explained in terms of abstinence: right action means 1. to abstain from harming sentient beings, especially to abstain from taking life (including suicide) and doing harm intentionally or delinquently, 2. to abstain from taking what is not given, which includes stealing, robbery, fraud, deceitfulness, and dishonesty, and 3. to abstain from sexual misconduct. Positively formulated, right action means to act kindly and compassionately, to be honest, to respect the belongings of others, and to keep sexual relationships harmless to others. Further details regarding the concrete meaning of right action can be found in the Precepts.

5. Right Livelihood

Right livelihood means that one should earn one's living in a righteous way and that wealth should be gained legally and peacefully. The Buddha mentions four specific activities that harm other beings and that one should avoid for this reason: 1. dealing in weapons, 2. dealing in living beings (including raising animals for slaughter as well as slave trade and prostitution), 3. working in meat production and butchery, and 4. selling intoxicants and poisons, such as alcohol and drugs. Furthermore any other occupation that would violate the principles of right speech and right action should be avoided.

I guess my point is that these ideas are so neglected here in the West, and we really need them! We all need to teach our kids in schools to avoid gossip, lies, slander, hateful and hurtful words. This is related to bullying.

Gawsh doesn't anyone want to talk about anything interesting with me? I feel very UNPOPULAR on this site lately! lol

Ok let's talk :D. If a person looks at various belief systems they notice most seem to follow a code of conduct or a code of ethics. Sure that works but how could it here?
For example: JUST WHO would teach the children?? lol I found that statement of yours rather comical no offense. It's a catch 22. Sure the ideas work in theory but in actuality its all a drop in the bucket.
Could we say "WE" teach the children? Well who is "we"? Our society is rotten to the core. It's not even on an individual basis anymore. It's integrated deep into all of our systems, organizations and agencies. Where do we find these people to teach the children?
Even if we could import them from somewhere somehow simply BECAUSE everything around us is already broken down these imports wouldn't even be allowed to teach the children.
The only hope we, who see things differently, have is keeping our children seperate from the collective and teaching them a different way of life that contains ethics and morality. Even then our children are pretty much going to be outcasts and targets for the rest of everyone else.
We are outnumbered______________ for now.

lonelygirl said:
Gawsh doesn't anyone want to talk about anything interesting with me? I feel very UNPOPULAR on this site lately! lol

I'm a big fan of Buddhist methodology, mainly because of the best guys out there, the Dalai Llama, is one of the few guys who practices what he teaches. As a buddhist monk he meditations on compassion several hours every day. Neurologists have compared brain scans of veteran buddhist monks meditation compassion with non monks and the brain scans show the veterans feel the emotion MUCH more than others. For all the good these words have though, I've still seen buddhists not act the most honorable towards others.

I think Christians (and other religions) have similar values to the Noble Eightfold Path of enlightment, but buddhists have a nifty little list that gets the message across clearer. Life is suffering, but that's good! If we didn't suffer, we wouldn't have things to lower our expectations, and the lower your expectations the more pleasantly surprised you'll be when something great happens.

We are all humans, we all are frail and we all are weak. Through CONSCIOUS effort, we can improve ourselves and how we treat others. I am working on Right Speech. Example: A few days ago I was very hurt by the way my mother had been speaking to me. So what did I do? My natural human instinct was to HURT HER BACK. I really ripped into her verbally, tearing her a new one. I was so mean. I hurt her feelings. Inside, it felt very righteous because she was being self-deluded, etc. etc. etc. Well, I felt very guilty the next day.

So, today, I will CONSCIOUSLY decide that I will try for right speech. Only speaking the truth in love. No cruelty.

Hmm Frizbit, I think that the CORE of Christianity is pure and beautiful. It's just, like so many religions, people instead use it to be cruel and hateful. Example: Look at the good aspects of Islam. They have some of the most beautiful Islamic art, mosques, etc...truly beautiful and breathtaking works of art. Then, look at people beheading others in the name of that religion--the dark side, the ugly, human, frail side. The side that uses religion just to judge and in fact execute other human beings, when NONE of us is righteous, not one.

I see what you're saying now lonely, the conscious effort is *hard*. It's so much easier to say I'm going to make a conscious effort to not hurt others, then when the time comes I lose my cool. It feels so good when we're taking the point of defense. If only I can get the other person to understand me completely!

Keeping my cool doesn't always work out, but it's good to try from time to time.

Hey Frizbit,

May I ask your A/S/L? :) I do try from time to time as well. It does feel good to give a tongue lashing to those who have hurt us.

Latest posts

Back