Lack of concentration-need help

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingPlatypus

Reaction score
I have trouble concentrating lately. It's really hard for me to read anything,because after a couple of minutes my mind wanders again to my life problems and all my motivation goes away. Also my procrastination is very high and I feel mentally and physically tired, even after taking a break,like a nap or a walk. I have some hard exams coming up and I'm scared as hell that I'm going to fail. That also fuels my anxiety.

Anyone ever felt this way too? I really need some help from you people. How can i cope with all this?

This is normal since there's worries on your mind.

There isn't much you can really do besides tackling these issues, if not then I guess you'll have to find a way to cope better.

Well, dealing with social problems takes time. That's why I'm looking for more short-term solution. The lack of concentration and the procrastination really interfere with my education and I don't really know how to cope with that.

Drinking more water and cutting out wheat and (most) dairy has made me feel a lot more clear-headed these days.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid advice but I try and take the importance out of those exams. I try to think to myself how I could clear the exam in the next semester if I fail it now (I'm not sure if your school/college has that system).

Also, I haven't failed a lot of exams and I have been doing well even if I have worried equally before every exam. So thinking about it helps too.

FlyingPlatypus said:
I have trouble concentrating lately. It's really hard for me to read anything,because after a couple of minutes my mind wanders again to my life problems and all my motivation goes away. Also my procrastination is very high and I feel mentally and physically tired, even after taking a break,like a nap or a walk. I have some hard exams coming up and I'm scared as hell that I'm going to fail. That also fuels my anxiety.

Anyone ever felt this way too? I really need some help from you people. How can i cope with all this?

I know how you feel. Not being able to concentrate because you just can't help but worry about life problems. Then when you finally get yourself back on track, like an hour or more has gone by. It can be really troublesome.

For me, when ever my mind starts to wander, or I just can't think straight. I take a break by doing something else for a bit. Like for 5 to 10 minutes. Like when I studied, for a break, I'd get something to eat, play some game, or check my email. Something you can get into and out of really quickly. Then try to get back to work :p

FlyingPlatypus said:
Well, dealing with social problems takes time. That's why I'm looking for more short-term solution. The lack of concentration and the procrastination really interfere with my education and I don't really know how to cope with that.

The only short term solution I can think of is to occupy your mind with something you're interested in, but this is a short term fix that will not last long.

Sometimes putting your problems into perspective helps. Is it something you can control? Is it going to effect you physically? Do you have time to "fix" it? Do you have people you can rely on? Sometimes by thinking about it thoroughly can help.. or so I've found.

I know it sounds dull, but sugar makes some people who are more sensitive extremely agitated, worse than coffee, personally taking away sugar solved half of my anxiety issues

Peaches said:
I know it sounds dull, but sugar makes some people who are more sensitive extremely agitated, worse than coffee, personally taking away sugar solved half of my anxiety issues

I don't think it's dull at all. I've learned that my diet and exercise greatly influences my well-being.

What I really wanted to say but I couldn't type it out this morning -
When I am overwhelmed by my assignments or exams and I can't study anymore I do some of the following:

1a)allow myself to freak out and cry
1b)write about why I'm freaking: a list of my fears, a list of how these fears make me feel, then a list of on a scale of 1 to 10 how strong that emotion is. By writing down a number, I can then think of ways and things to do to decrease that number. My problems look more manageable and controllable when I write it down on paper like that.

2)talk to someone about what I'm worried about (that's not school related)

3)talk to the prof about what's on the exam or what they want for the assignment

4)exercise: stretch or dance,

5)eat "brain foods"

6)change location, if possible: go to a cafe or library

7)make a study plan

8)take deep breaths, count to 10

9)take a nap

10)kitteh's on youtube

11)write lists like this and number them

I feel your pain. I've dealt with procrastination, anxiety and depression for most of my life. It gets easier with practice. :)

SomeoneSomewhere said:
I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid advice but I try and take the importance out of those exams. I try to think to myself how I could clear the exam in the next semester if I fail it now (I'm not sure if your school/college has that system).

Also, I haven't failed a lot of exams and I have been doing well even if I have worried equally before every exam. So thinking about it helps too.

The advice is not stupid. The problems is, that I'm very pessimistic, which I can't explain why.

WL7.3 said:
Is this a new problem?

No, not really. It started about a year ago. But it's worsening.

Wailun said:
I know how you feel. Not being able to concentrate because you just can't help but worry about life problems. Then when you finally get yourself back on track, like an hour or more has gone by. It can be really troublesome.

For me, when ever my mind starts to wander, or I just can't think straight. I take a break by doing something else for a bit. Like for 5 to 10 minutes. Like when I studied, for a break, I'd get something to eat, play some game, or check my email. Something you can get into and out of really quickly. Then try to get back to work :p

It's really hard for me to get back to work. I'm like "I'm going to study after 15 minutes", then the 15 minutes become 30, then 60. :D

Sarah_Lbnz said:
I don't think it's dull at all. I've learned that my diet and exercise greatly influences my well-being.

What I really wanted to say but I couldn't type it out this morning -
When I am overwhelmed by my assignments or exams and I can't study anymore I do some of the following:

1a)allow myself to freak out and cry
1b)write about why I'm freaking: a list of my fears, a list of how these fears make me feel, then a list of on a scale of 1 to 10 how strong that emotion is. By writing down a number, I can then think of ways and things to do to decrease that number. My problems look more manageable and controllable when I write it down on paper like that.

2)talk to someone about what I'm worried about (that's not school related)

3)talk to the prof about what's on the exam or what they want for the assignment

4)exercise: stretch or dance,

5)eat "brain foods"

6)change location, if possible: go to a cafe or library

7)make a study plan

8)take deep breaths, count to 10

9)take a nap

10)kitteh's on youtube

11)write lists like this and number them

I feel your pain. I've dealt with procrastination, anxiety and depression for most of my life. It gets easier with practice. :)

I will try some of those suggestions. Thanks. :)

Latest posts

Back