Lets Be Proactive and Excercise Together for Better Health & Self Improvement

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
I lifted...food to my mouth. It counts, right?

Just remember that it's important to have a balanced diet... so if the food is in your right hand, then make sure you have a beer in the other :p

I feel a bit like I'm fighting a losing battle here, but I refuse to let this thread die.

Today is arm day. I've spent 70 mins doing biceps, triceps, shoulders and forearms. I can really feel the burn and it's had a very positive affect on my mental well-being. I might do a bit of cardio later, but now it's time for some food and relaxation :D

I really need to do something, I know I feel so much better after. I have the best of intentions, but motivation is low. I think maybe I should start with forcing myself to walk more.

Any other ideas?

She-ra said:
I really need to do something, I know I feel so much better after. I have the best of intentions, but motivation is low. I think maybe I should start with forcing myself to walk more.

Any other ideas?

I suppose it depends on what you're hoping to achieve, how much time you have available and what equipment you have to hand.

If all you're wanting to achieve is weight loss and general fitness then a brisk walk of 20-30 minutes a day is enough - it's also free and requires very little effort. It's what I started off doing and it helped me to lose much more weight than you'd imagine.

You could also try introducing some fun activities with your kids, because then it won't feel like work and it'll keep you motivated. Things as simple as a kick around with a ball, a home badminton set or throwing a frisbee around can burn a surprising amount of calories and give your heart a good workout.

I'm going to presume that you're not wanting to build a large amount of muscle mass, so I won't bother recommending anything to do with strength/weight training unless you ask for it ;)

-----

Today is leg day.

I've done squats, deadlifts, lunges and dumbbell calf raises. Trying to walk down the stairs afterwards was an interesting experience.

after 20 f**&% days total of flu + bronchitis I feel pretty week, but I did go 8 times up and down 3 flights of stairs and since three days I am doing my unavoidable 15-20 min of yoga again, I will go do that now
and oh, finally I am watching the calories
now, MOTIVATE me, thread

Well done, She-ra and Peaches. Keep it up! The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step... and other motivational guff ;)

Pushed myself to do some cardio today after being out for days. I hope I am not making my body get worse by doing these..

ladyforsaken said:
Pushed myself to do some cardio today after being out for days. I hope I am not making my body get worse by doing these..

I'm sure that medium level exercise will not affect your pre-existing medical conditions, LadyF. I'd imagine it will be good for your health - especially since regular exercise tends to keep us upbeat.

---

Today, I did squats, deadlift, lunges and calf raises, followed by leg lifts, sit ups and stomach crunches. I never enjoy it as much as upper body workouts, but I always feel good afterwards.

user 130057 said:
ladyforsaken said:

I'm sure that medium level exercise will not affect your pre-existing medical conditions, LadyF. I'd imagine it will be good for your health - especially since regular exercise tends to keep us upbeat.

---

Today, I did squats, deadlift, lunges and calf raises, followed by leg lifts, sit ups and stomach crunches. I never enjoy it as much as upper body workouts, but I always feel good afterwards.

I thought so, but I am bruising pretty easily lately so.. I just wonder if my system is just deteriorating and can't take much anymore. And the only reason why I haven't been doing much in the past week is only cos I haven't been feeling very well.

Anyway, I'm planning on going tougher on myself in the coming weeks despite feeling weak. What have I got to lose anyway?

And true, it's always a nice feeling afterwards. I absolutely love that feeling, especially those aches and sores.

Time to revive this thread!
Today I did;
seated rows
lower back extensions
bicep curls
shoulder shrugs (or upright rows, whatever)
front barbell raises (front delt lifts)
exercise ball crunches
hanging sit-ups
pull-ups
dips
lateral pull-downs

Making great progress~

Attachments

• Demarmsdoe.jpg
    Demarmsdoe.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 24
Nice one!

Thought I'd join you guys on here. Not a big exerciser as a whole but I'm being doing more of late and it's good to see a thread like this. I live in a rural area so getting to a gym is that practical for me at the moment unless I'm prepared to spend a lot of time there. I do an hour dance cardio classes (zumba) once a week locally, plus twice more at home during the week about 2 hours worth at a time. I've just started to mess around a bit with some weights I have lying around so balance things out a bit. I also spend one day a week out in the countryside working on thing such as cutting down trees, digging ponds etc which is pretty tiring work.

As a result I've found my metabolism's shot up and I can eat a tonne now which makes no difference to my weight - in fact I find that I kind of have to so I don't lose weight.

How do you guys stay motivated for strength exercises? Being at home I'm using some music at the moment to keep me going but I'm worried I might wane in a couple of weeks.

Katerina said:
How do you guys stay motivated for strength exercises? Being at home I'm using some music at the moment to keep me going but I'm worried I might wane in a couple of weeks.

In the first year or so I absolutely hated it. Despised going to the gym, would look for excuses to just sleep in.

The more I went, the more results I saw, and the more I got accustomed to it, I started to fall in love with it. Now it's something I actively look forward to and enjoy doing, it feels natural and right. Not sure how else to describe it :p It just takes time and patience, and (while obviously not everybody will feel this way) eventually you start to like it.

One big thing is having a partner. I've always had somebody else there with me, we take turns doing sets, push each other, spot each other. It's definitely a huge motivational advantage.

Another thing is the right environment. I believe that if you surround yourself with people that are where you want to be (this goes for fitness, finance, whatever) you will be more successful. I like to be around people twice my size, single digit bodyfat %, stuff like that. It motivates me.

Today was leg day. The dreaded leg day, hated and feared.
Leg press - 300 pounds (much less than I used to, but I'm slowly building my way back up to the 650 mark I once hit)
Calf raises
Hamstring curls
Quad extensions
More hanging sit-ups
More exercise ball crunches
(gotta do abs every trip, can't skimp)
Burn outs with bicep curls (essentially going until my arms literally can't even pick up 5 pounds)

Doesn't sound like as much as on arm days, but JESUS, doing weight lifting with legs is taxing. The muscles in the legs and butt are the largest in the body, and require the most oxygen to move matter, so it's much more tiring at high weight than arm workouts.

Didn't do squats today because fresia squats, they're like the benchpress of legs, and I hate benchpress.

You're right in having other people around is a big motivator. I did body pump in the past and having others around me certainly kept me going. It's going to be harder doing it at home than at the gym that's for sure. I've been outdoors raking and burning stuff all day which was more draining than I thought then I went to my zumba class where I helped out at the front with the instructor. I swear it's hotter and harder work up there but at least i get discount :)

Good to hear monty, what are you doing for your workout?

Well, since my shoulder separation is preventing me from doing anything too 'interesting', I decided to go for a nice long walk in sub zero temperatures. I'm sure my heart will thank me later even if my fingers will hate me for a few hours...

Well, this separated shoulder is making me as weak as a kitten with anything involving my shoulder or chest, but that doesn't mean I can't work other parts of my body - whether it's advisable or not is another matter. I love working out and when I can't, my mental health suffers, so I'll do it anyway.

I spent time doing bicep curls, hammer curls, bench dips, bent-over tricep extensions, wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. That's it for the arms. I followed it with squats, deadlifts, lunges and dumbbell calf raises.

Physiotherapy visit on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll find out exactly how bad it is and whether it can be rectified with physio alone or will require surgery.

Latest posts

Back