List of life strategies I have attempted.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I often think up life strategies to apply to my life. Its kind of an addiction, they never seem to work in the long term. I have been trying them for like 4 years...I thought I would list some of them coz I'm bored...

Loving myself...(trying to love myself no matter what)
Focussing on/letting go of anger.
Using hatred of certain things/people such as mother as a motiviting force.
Focussing on/not letting myself feel shame.
Having only positive thoughts for a week.
Having a sad melodys in my head. (convinced myself it would bring out my emotions!)
Repeating affirmations to myself.
Breathing deeply
Chanting (thought chanting would me less shy, and more 'out there'.)
Going along with everything I think. (accepting, not challenging any thoughts)
Challenging negative thoughts.
Focussing solely on behaviour (focussing on behaving in condfident/energetic way)
lieing in the foetal position (convinced myself I would feel safer!)
Focussing on speaking with a louder/deeper voice.
Trying to not be competative
Being competetive.
Focussing on getting my 'I' self into the world.
Living in the moment.
Focussing on not being a wuss. (the idea that people might view me as a 'wuss' made me angry.)
Saying all my thoughts out loud.
intentional negative thinking (i read it would actually make you think more positivelty in some obscure way)
Being Brave. (worked ok but would have panic attacks that everyone hated me, I became slightly obnoxious perhaps)
Trying to have 'happy' imagery in my head.
Focussing on negative imagery. (similar to trying to think negatively I convinced myself this would cause the imagery to bizzarly turn good).
Focussing on changing beliefs about myself.
Focussing on changing 'silent assumptions'
Not being melo-dramatic.
Being medium instead of high/low.
Trying to feel grateful.
Trying to lessen the need to be perfect.
Maintaining positive/energetic postures.
Telling myself I am loser. (I convinced myself I would connect with myself better because my thoughts would be more congruent with my supposed beliefs)
laughing a lot. (read about laughter therapy)
Not taking things so seriously.
crying. (everytime I cry I convince myself this is it I am crying out the bottom of my pain, I will be cured)
lieing in inverted positions. (I read the increase of blood to the head can help with neurotransmitters)
writing out all my thoughts/feelings in a diary.
screaming/raging.
not having a strategy. (after so many this inevitably was one)
Listening to healing music.
Going along with my feelings to the full.
Trying to abolish fear.

There are many more I can't even remember. Often it might just be having a word or sentence in my head that I can cling to in a bad time. I go through a strategy about once or twice a week, they all last about 3-4 days. Each time I convince myself I have found the answer, and look for evidence on google for reasons why it will work. Each time it just a placebo though. The outcome I want is to be a confident/fun/energetic/amazing person. Its kind of not even that though its probably trying to be some 'perfect' person I can't be. I know this is a dumb aim but its hard to change your desires. Even if I became this person I would probabaly still hate myself...! I feel competely trapped by my feelings and desires...like I have no 'agency' over myself. I think hating my mom ruins my life. I feel like if I just found the right strategy it could unlock the energy I know lurks in me somewhere and I could live to the full, if I could just get past whatever that main block is.

Alex said:
I often think up life strategies to apply to my life. Its kind of an addiction, they never seem to work in the long term. I have been trying them for like 4 years...I thought I would list some of them coz I'm bored...

Focussing on/letting go of anger.

My greatest problem reduced to one sentence.

Lonesome Crow said:
I think those are good living tools or habits you're developing.

But I am not developing them...each I just do for a while thinking its the cure I can use forever, but then it just dies...like i get sick of doing them and dream up another strategy.

Alex said:
Lonesome Crow said:
I think those are good living tools or habits you're developing.

But I am not developing them...each I just do for a while thinking its the cure I can use forever, but then it just dies...like i get sick of doing them and dream up another strategy.

I think it's good that you're bringing out in the open...as you're doing
now. I also attend support groups. My sponsor is trying to get me
to open up more or share to him about alot of my anger, hate, guilt..ect...This way I don't have to do it alone.
Alot of trust was deystroyed within me. He see it..I tell him how i feel sometimes...but it's very emotional for
me...I'll bascailly break dwon into tears if certain issues are brought up.

It's kind of like a cleaning house process or getting to the root of it..for certain issues.
Yeah..like the anger and hate you have towards your mother.
I have alot of hate and anger towards my father.

Staying possitive and loving myself..is a constant consious decision...
Sometime that's all I can do is tell myself that or that's all I can write in my Journal is "I love myself" over and over
again 4-5 pages...
Sort of like preventive maitenance on a good day...A life saver on a bad day.

When dealing with abandonment issues ...sometimes that all I can do is just sit still and cry...process my emotions
for what they are and try to let go of them..
Sometimes it hits me like a ton of bricks. I've been knows to just sit in meetings and just cry. That's all i can do.
But it's a safe place for me to process my pains without getting judged. Letting Go...simple but not always easy.

That's how I've been able to stay clean and sober throughout the years.
Oneday at a time...sometimes 5 mins at a time.
Yeap..no cure...I get up every morning and tell myself I love myself , stay positive, don't let the negative stuff
starts...I catch myself faster and faster though....Progress not perfection...(or a cure)

Ive also been listening (mp3) to the sedona method. It's helping me alot.
Kind of like having a personal coach help me or walk me through the letting go and release process.
It made a big difference for me. At first it felt very un natural for me..the MP3 helps..becuase
it keeps me on track. After a months i was able to do it more natural..
I still listen to those tracks once or twice a week.

I also still meditate 3-4 times a weeks

bascailly the same as a gratitude list...I still write one every so often..as I did 18 years
ago when I first started my recovery process. I still keep journal.

There's a couple other programs that i aslo listen to.

I've also been listening to BrainSync. It's something new that i came across.

Sedona....I have the complete program...
But I bascially just listen to the MP3 that's at the 5:45 part of
this vedio ...The basic and simplicity of letting go.

[youtube]YrT3xBoF6Wk[/youtube]

On this vedio...it gose more into depth about other emotions.
But you bascially just let go of them...as you would as if you're
droping an object.
[youtube]v7fIXqWU12E[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back