logical suicide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I have thought about suicide, I thought about how many people around me would be hurt by my death. My mom, my sister, my brother, my father, my friends, my teachers, and everyone I ever made smile or had a good time with, would feel pain.

I realized I would not be eliminating my own pain as much as transferring my pain to every single person who ever cared about me. I'd be dead, but then all of these people would be suffering for the rest of their lives by my selfishness. It's like a nuclear explosion of pain that the suicide victim creates and that everyone else has to live with.

That's why I could never kill myself. I could never do that to the people I cared about. There has been no situation that I have ever experienced that I could not overcome.

Besides, if life gets me down, I'm not going down without a serious fight.

I see no logic in suicide.

Case said:
Whenever I have thought about suicide, I thought about how many people around me would be hurt by my death. My mom, my sister, my brother, my father, my friends, my teachers, and everyone I ever made smile or had a good time with, would feel pain.

I realized I would not be eliminating my own pain as much as transferring my pain to every single person who ever cared about me. I'd be dead, but then all of these people would be suffering for the rest of their lives by my selfishness. It's like a nuclear explosion of pain that the suicide victim creates and that everyone else has to live with.

That's why I could never kill myself. I could never do that to the people I cared about. There has been no situation that I have ever experienced that I could not overcome.

+1

WL7.3. You pose a very unfair question. Suppose there are people here who think suicide can be an answer. Okay, they may be here, but would it be ethical for them to respond to this thread? Maybe not. Maybe even those that agree that suicide is an option do not want the burden of hurting another person. So they wouldn't respond to this thread.

The only thing that happens is that you transfer your pain onto someone else. It is a really selfish thing to do.

Case said:

That isn't necessarily true. You can't always justify these things by citing others. At the end of the day, people can overcome the death of a loved one, and some people aren't even so loved. You have to keep living for your own sake. If you can't do that, you can't even begin to think about living for the sake of others.

What about the people who have nobody who will miss them? Is it OK for them to kill themselves? I have nothing against the idea of suicide and I firmly believe that people should have complete control over their own lives but I do think that it is ultimately the most selfish thing a person can do.
When I was 17 I found my best friend in his room with his wrist slashed open. He lived and has managed to sort his life out and he probably looks back on that day and is grateful that I was there to help him. But a year or so later I ended up cutting him out of my life because the strain he put on our friendship helped turn me into an emotional wreck and he should never have put me through that.

Runciter said:
What about the people who have nobody who will miss them? Is it OK for them to kill themselves? I have nothing against the idea of suicide and I firmly believe that people should have complete control over their own lives but I do think that it is ultimately the most selfish thing a person can do.
When I was 17 I found my best friend in his room with his wrist slashed open. He lived and has managed to sort his life out and he probably looks back on that day and is grateful that I was there to help him. But a year or so later I ended up cutting him out of my life because the strain he put on our friendship helped turn me into an emotional wreck and he should never have put me through that.

I'm sorry you were put through that. :\

But no I don't think it's still okay for someone who has no one who would miss him to kill himself. Because even if there isn't anyone there to miss him, he's not being fair to himself who could have a lot of opportunities in life ahead of him or try to work things out if he were to keep persevering.

ladyforsaken said:
I'm sorry you were put through that. :\

But no I don't think it's still okay for someone who has no one who would miss him to kill himself. Because even if there isn't anyone there to miss him, he's not being fair to himself who could have a lot of opportunities in life ahead of him or try to work things out if he were to keep persevering.

Thanks for the kind words, it was a tough time in my life and that wasn't the worst of it believe it or not. But it helped make me what I am today and I have no regrets or hard feelings.

I understand what you're saying about it not being fair on the person and I agree, I've always maintained that no matter how bad my life gets it will just make me fight harder. But who are we to know what is going on in another persons head? Perhaps if we could spend a day in their shoes we'd come to the same conclusion and want to end it all too.

What about euthanasia? There was a case in the UK recently about a man who had an accident of some sort and ended up suffering from locked-in syndrome. He went to court with his family to argue that he wanted to die because his life had become miserable and he didn't want his family to have to take care of him. He had no way of killing himself and anyone who helped him would likely be charged with murder. The court ruled against him and he ended up on hunger strike in an attempt to die. I can only imagine how terrible it must have been for the family and I can't abide the fact that the law doesn't allow a person to control their own death.

Changing the topic slightly, what about suicide that has nothing to do with being depressed? Take the bushido code for example, in many cases suicide by seppuku was the only logical choice and was considered an honourable way to die. I know it's not exactly a modern philosophy but it raises the question on whether cultural or social backgrounds can influence the answer to the original question.
There is also the idea of sacrificing ones life to save another, like a soldier who jumps on a grenade to save his comrades. He is still technically committing suicide and yet he will be (rightly so) considered a hero. Again, not strictly sticking to the theme of the thread but I think it helps prove that suicide is a very subjective thing.

I should add that I'm not trying to argue my point or change anyones opinions, I just think the topic isn't quite black and white and it's an interesting one to discus.

Well, this thread kinda reminds me of this other thread http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=11817.

There are many reasons why someone attempts suicide, some seems justified, others, selfish. It all really depends on the situation I guess. We can't really say we know how that person feels unless we're in their shoes. It's not easy to deal with such negative dark thoughts when you're really that deep in.

Again, whatever the reason maybe.. there is always some positivity to take from somewhere if that person is willing and really wants to. I believe it's possible. (Maybe some may not agree.. but just what I think.)

Latest posts

Back