Loneliness and learning

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Free

Reaction score
Everyday after school I used to juss live back in my Jade Egg (The world in my head), disregarding all that happened. I'm a amrt guy, but never did homework...I graduated late because I was so busy staring at walls, masturbating, feeding my hermit crabs (who I gave "personalities" to) and playing my dreamcast. Now I'm back in school...art school now. I have been so much more out of the loop that now, when I turn in assignments, I fall short. No one understands where I'm going with what I'm displaying. They don't see what I see.

At work, I have to be told things several things before I grasp the concept, because when they talk to me, I zone out in a small way for a small second. I disassociate so much it effects how I even LEARN. I'm not stupid, but I'm not on the same level as the people I'm supposed to be associating with...I NEED to know how to get over this. I can't not leave the Egg...NE advice?

Hopefully in art school they don't hold it against you if their vision isn't the same as yours, and just at least acknowledge your works value. I can't give you any advice on how to stop zoning out since just yesterday it took quite awhile for it to even dawn on me that i should at least attempt to give the appearance of focusing on the words of the person who was assigned to give a verbal review of my work.

Oh wow, haha. Unfortunately I'm just off my learning game. I grasp all thats going on, but I dont convey it properly I guess. Maybe its just a speedbump...either way I need to kick it with people more, to help with my future if anything else.

I thought all artists has the crutch of "well you're obviousl incapable of appreciating my work of art"... lol. You could use that in art college.

As to concentration, I really dont' have too much of novel advice other than, sleep well, eat well etc.

If you can't focus just be persistent in TRYING to focus and something is bound to fall into your brain sometime.

Just don't give up.

i know what you're talking about with the disassociating and zoning out, i did quite a bit of that in my first year of university to the point where i could barely hear entire conversations and pretty much felt like i had left my body.. i actually dumped the first year because i couldn't handle it..

when it first started happening i had no idea what was going on, freaked out and ran.. lol. i lost all my ability to focus and concentrate and take in 'real time' information.. it felt like some sort of sensory overload.. the effect of thinking that i was no longer able to think, learn, and understand caused me a healthy amount of anxiety (oxymoron) and i feared i might be losing my mind.. i'm drooling on myself right now (just kidding :))

it is a 'state'.. your mind isn't gone; staying at home, playing video games, wanking and playing with your crabs hasn't permanently destroyed your mind, memory, ability to think, learn, focus or understand..
you just had a holiday in the 'land of sloth', it's not a bad place to visit.. it's just that it has dulled some of those faculties that you haven't used for a while..

sophia is right.. you've got to keep trying and practising to hear the information clearly and then retain it.. as the information comes in let it sloop around in your head for a few moments (helps the short term memory work better before it's transferred to long term) and them move on to the next piece of information.. eventually you will become quicker at 'absorbing' and understanding the information at once..

also, while things are a little difficult at the mo, study more on your own, as in reading and re-reading the material so at least the subject is not completely fresh when you go into a lesson.. do you have lectures on video?

in relation to displaying your work and no one understanding where you are coming from, is that really necessary in art school? what kind of work are you doing? many famous artists either got kicked out of art school or left because people didn't 'get' their vision.. maybe there is nothing wrong with that?

don't stress out too much over phasing out.. focusing is a skill you have to keep training and inattention is very common in all of us :)

Latest posts

Back