Losing your first love

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaedron

Reaction score
"There is no better or worse; just different arrangements of the pros and cons."

"The rest is drama... Drama is weakness, Drama is tragic. Drama is attachment; and attachment causes suffering."

“Needs and desires are imperfections in my world,” -The Ancient One

It has been said that "after your first, you never quite love someone the same way again." I've been giving that a lot of thought lately, and it seems to be true.

I'm not sure if anyone else is in this boat, but heres a quick background. It wasn't till I hit 27 that I had a true serious relationship, and it lasted a little more then a year. Prior to that, I've had very little interaction. I DO know there are people here are in THAT boat, and many wanting love so badly and feeling sad and lost. Some who are even older then me and still haven't found anyone.

So yeah, I'm one of you guys; and now you are watching me leave here with a girl and when I come back... I'm not the same. I've gotten to taste new joys and pleasures, but let me tell you one thing: and thats that when the end hits, it hits a whole lot harder then you can imagine and. It's full of seething, lingering dimensions of pain; the likes of which are dangerous to fathom.

I also know that many, if not most, who are reading have been through this. Well its still pretty recent for me. Yes, I know that it "gets better" I also know that "some wounds never heal."

When I imagine getting into another relationship, I see myself being cautious, paranoid, even detatched. Its as though we're playing the same game, and while I may play, I do so without attachment because I expect it go wrong, I expect it to end, and I expect to find out the other person isn't quite what I thought, and what's more: people change!

This plus all the other circumstances of my life which are generally unfavorable to the prospects of sex, love, and family, lead me to believe I will never be in love again. Yes, "the withered flower of my heart is torn asunder and the part thats content to be underground doesn't bother blooming in the dangerous desecrated soil."

Clarify: I see myself possibly having other relationships, I just don't see any of them meaning anything to me. I see myself having one at some point just to see if I "still feel anything" or I see myself ending things at the first sign of trouble or just ending it very quickly. However, I refuse to follow a jaded sex driven path that eventually leads me to betray someone else in the same manner I was betrayed. It will not let nature invalidate my pain in this manner. So ultimately I see myself completely alone, not going out, and not giving a **** one way or another.

It bothers me that I can't give 100%, even if I wanted to, so I think it's for the best that I don't. The experience was SO traumatic in SO many different ways and there were SO many problems along the way that when I see the so called garden of eden I see a garden of hopelessness and despair.

Finally, some advice for the guys, because we're adventurers at heart and aren't prone to being persuaded by risks and warnings.

1. Dump her at the first sign of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mentality; I'm not even kidding. Dead end streets don't get traffic, only morons who cause accidents and wreck homes. If nothing you do ever pleases her, nothing you do ever will. In her mind she is right and the man is always wrong which goes towards playing the moral highground and getting what she wants. If she can't take the highroad, she WILL take the low road and you will be made to look like a self righteous jackass, like you're always "too good" for her. No matter how you slice it, I promise you that if you see this attitude it will NOT go well and there will problems in the long run.

2. If she always insults you and then says "Im kidding" or "no one can tell when I'm joking" then develop your own method of "joking" and lash out with witty, insulting, and sarcastic remarks whenever you please. Make sure they are more insulting then hers and make sure you present them in a manner in which they will be taken seriously so that you can say "Im kidding."

3. This is an old one, but a good one. From "A Bronx Tale". Dump her when she gets in the car, if she doesn't open the door for you.

So maybe you can learn to spot the subtleties that prove someone doesn't love you, but what if they DO love you and are due to change? Here are a few things I discovered:

4. If she is willing to lie to her family and friends, belittle them, talk about them behind their backs, etc, then she WILL do the same to you eventually. This is number four on my list so the answer is still "dump her at the first sign of trouble."

5. Has she suddenly become greedy? If you pay for everything in the beginning of the relationship you will always pay for everything. She will even get you to buy her a bus ticket back home just to "visit" her folks. In reality shes had a paid vacation at your expense and ain't comin' back.

6. If you suspect something bad or suspect she will give in to temptation, then engineer a trap that's too good to refuse and catch her in the act. Yeah it seems pretty hard, but give it some thought, it is really is the perfect way to tell. Just be sure not to dress up and pretend to be another guy. She'll either see right through it, or fall for the "you" within your persona, most often both.

7. If she has cheated on you and you are ready to end it, drop her off in the middle of nowhere or on the bad side of town. Tell her that shes a ho and she can easily ho her way back home. This is especially delicious if you know she had the affair, but wait till now to bring it up.

Okay, how bout a list that doesn't involve dumping her. How bout a checklist for what you like and don't like. Here are some qualities that are complete deal breakers for me:

1. Gender policies: If she's always saying things like "I'm a woman, I'm allowed to keep a few secrets," using her gender to get special treatment then turns around and bitches to you about womens rights you should immediately bitchslap her and walk away. When she catches up kindly remind her that she isn't going to have it both ways. If you're in public and worried she will sue then say "This is me bitchslappin' yo ass" and walk away.

2. Secrecy. This goes back to that two way street thing. It has also been said "the curse of the liar is that she can't believe anyone." The whole point of intimacy is to share more of yourself especially if the goal is marriage or something long term. Women are very accustomed to deception. From an early age they learn to say things like "no that dress doesn't make you look fat" even though it so does. So you should expect to be "managed" and spared the brunt of bad news. This you will have to find out for yourself.

3. Bitchcraft. This generally involves selfishness, more of that damned if you do damned if you don't, and is often accompanied with some degree of witchcraft or Wiccan beliefs, but shes Wiccan only for the image of worshiping a goddess rather then a god, and mostly so she can tell the church to shove it. They are thus hypocrits. If you ask them "what is the great rite" few will know, and even fewer will know correctly.

4. Viciousness. Im talking about the kind of woman that dates your brother or best friend and pits you both against each other. When this problem is resolved correctly the guys walk away friends and the ***** is showing her legs out on the roadside. Women have their own version of this, but it usually involves subtle forms of rivalry. Furthermore you should stay away from the ones who date you for some alterior motive like showing off and one upping their favorite rival.

5. Chattle: It's been said women are like cattle and have a herd mentality. Of course like all stereotypes they show us the worst. However, does this situation sound familiar: you're a lonely guy with few or no friends, and every girl you know seems to have a gazillion. It doesn't seem bad now, but consider that when you breakup she's gonna have a big support group to cheer her on, and badmouth you, and you're gonna have squat. When you call your best friend crying on the phone hes gonna do little more then laugh at you. As men we tend to be proud and want to handle ourselves. We don't like to ask for directions, etc.

you know, I could say a lot of things about how you are bitter and have no idea what youre talking about, but instead Ill leave it at this.

Phaedron said:
1. Gender policies: If she's always saying things like "I'm a woman, I'm allowed to keep a few secrets," using her gender to get special treatment then turns around and bitches to you about womens rights you should immediately bitchslap her and walk away. When she catches up kindly remind her that she isn't going to have it both ways. If you're in public and worried she will sue then say "This is me bitchslappin' yo ass" and walk away.

how EXACTLY does this situation warrant violence ?

a man hit me. once. only once.

He got his, and he got a ******* toaster to the head, but that is a story for another day

youre not going to get much support if you advocate bitchslapping women.

(mumbles and walks away)

Phaedron said:
2. If she always insults you and then says "Im kidding" or "no one can tell when I'm joking" then develop your own method of "joking" and lash out with witty, insulting, and sarcastic remarks whenever you please. Make sure they are more insulting then hers and make sure you present them in a manner in which they will be taken seriously so that you can say "Im kidding."

I'll just say this:

That whole tic-for-tac attitude, doesn't work. Really, it doesn't. You're not in elementary school, you're out of high school... That mentality is not for grown people. It's for kids who have nothing better to do with their time but to throw sticks and stones trying to break some bones. Mature people would tell someone if and when that whole "just kidding" thing bothers them.

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of your "advice."

All I have to say, is that he said he only had a relationship with ONE woman, so this is really all conjecture based on this one woman.

I don't even know what to say or think after skimming (couldn't bear reading every word of it, sorry) through all of it.
I'm surprised that all of this, would come out of you out of all people.
Everything that I have read from you up and until now, I have admired and respected.
You're intelligent; critical thinker, excellent writer and everything of the sort.

This is...none of that.

Never hit a woman, ever. What the fresia?

I just lost respect for you....

I wouldn't hit my man, i don't expect him to hit me, when he is bigger, stronger, and more able-bodied than a disabled girl. It's an unfair and uneven fight.

For once, I can speak as someone going through the EXACT SAME situation. My first love . . . . the man I was supposed to marry and was dating for five years . . . . broke-up with me on Saturday.

First of all, you need to stop clinging to this bitterness. I understand it makes you feel good to be angry, but it doesn't help anyone. It only harms you. Ever since this happened to me, I've claimed Christina Aguilera's song "Fighter" as my theme song:

"After all you put me through
You'd think I'd despise you
But in the end
I wanna thank you 'cause you made that much stronger"

That's how the song starts out. It's ABOUT losing someone you love. It doesn't have to destroy you. It doesn't hurt HER if it destroys you, it only hurts YOU if it destroys you. No, it's not fair that you have to go through a bunch of pain that you don't deserve, but the theme of this song because it's so powerful:

"'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter"

I want to shout these words at the TOP OF MY LUNGS in fact.

Yes, it hurts so bad and I've been crying every day, but these words are so much stronger than that. Someday I will THANK him for doing this to me. Someday I will be a better person because he did this to me. In fact, the biggest revenge I could ever get on him is by improving myself because of what he did. Moving on in life to better things.

So no, I disagree with you completely . . .

Yes, I will NEVER be the same again. I probably won't ever get in a long distance relationship again (that's what I was in), but I've also learned things from the situation and I absolutely can't let it defeat me. It wants to kill me so bad and every day right now is pain, but I can't let it destroy me.

There's this myth that the opposite of love is hate, but the opposite of love is actually indifference. When you continue to hate the person, you continue to care about them and you can't let them have that power over you.

Now, I understand you need to vent somewhere some. It's healthy, but . . . . .

Just think about what you are doing for a second. You're insulting many women on this forum with your stereotypes.

Some of those things that you went through, *I* went through, too. *My* ex did that to me, too. Guys don't hurt worse than girls in this aspect.

I agree with you that when the other person makes you pay for everything then they probably don't care that much. He was always making me pay for everything, too. He had so many bills and things and I accepted that, but the fact that I had to pay for every, single plane ticket and things showed how little of a priority I was to him. How not committed to the relationship he was.

And guess what? I'm on this forum, so what does that mean? I have very few friends and I am very lonely. Guess what my boyfriend has? A TON of friends. Who's always been the socializing type out of the two of us. And you know what? Several of those friends are girls and it's been destroying me inside wondering if he's talking to those girls about me and how I hurt him and maybe falling in love with one of them eventually and confiding in them like he used to confide in me. I sobbed a good long time today thinking about it. *I* don't have that. Not all girls have that.

My ex lied to me a TON too. Kept lots of things from me. I always, always trusted him again, even though he did it a lot. So what is he, a girl? How did he become conditioned to lie like that?

IN FACT, I'm pretty sure he's lying to me right now. "Let's be friends" and "You can always talk to me about anything" and ESPECIALLY "I'll mail back the cell phone that you pay for every month." Yes, I pay his cell phone bill every month and he won't even tell me when he's planning to buy a new one and send it back. =/ It's the greedy thing you were talking about AND the lying thing combined into one.

And a lot of the rest are just stereotypes that you listed.

But let me tell you this . . . .

Even though I just said all those things about my ex. All about how he lied to me and crap . . . . I don't hate him. I still absolutely love him. I miss him and although people keep reminding me of how he was a liar and not committed to me, I still think he's a wonderful person and whoever gets him next is so lucky and I'm so envious of them.

I want to hate him . . . . I really do. It would be easier probably if I could, but I loved him for a reason. He was so gentle and kind to me. He was such a hard worker and a beautiful person. I will never look back on this time of my life and say that I wasn't truly in love with a wonderful man . . . . because I was.

Don't let the bitterness get to you or the hatred. Don't let them destroy you. You are better than that. You are stronger than that and I'm so sorry you are going through this. I can completely, completely relate.

Believe me, none of this post was meant as a judgment against you because I know how much pain you must be in now.

... I dont have anything to say other than, I m going through same honeysuckle just different angle and a bit deeper as its not a breakup but a divorce and we were 'just married'. Hurts... so much... can't even eat properly. Havent slept more than 2 hours at one shot, after that happened. I wakeup with nightmares. My head will be spinning. I m eating once in 2 days and all. I started to hate myself but I am trying to take all my anger and hatred and turn it into some faith or some belief, idk, I guess I just have to work hard and get out of this shitty life so nobody will belittle me again.

eris said:
you know, I could say a lot of things about how you are bitter and have no idea what youre talking about, but instead Ill leave it at this.

Phaedron said:

how EXACTLY does this situation warrant violence ?

a man hit me. once. only once.

He got his, and he got a ******* toaster to the head, but that is a story for another day

youre not going to get much support if you advocate bitchslapping women.

(mumbles and walks away)

Women are not always right.

I know a perfect case (I was not involved in any way) of man actually punching a woman in the face, and it was justified, and everyone agreed.

Example in this thread was bad. But the saying "never hit a woman" doesn't give woman a right to do whatever she wants with a man without getting some kind of adequate response. Some women actually use these kinds of unwritten laws for their own advantage. That, plus bitchslapping is actually not quite hitting. Its a slap, not a punch. Slaps are more meant to demean but not to actually hurt.

Wow, love really buggers people up, doesn't it? (un)

I still care a lot about my first love... he's in the Marines now and he has a really controlling girlfriend who won't let him see me. And I just want to shake him and be like, why are you such a biiiiiiiiiiatch?

Latest posts

Back