Lost...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave485

Reaction score
I guess I'll start with a bit of back story. I'm 26 years old. I left college after my first semester, because I felt that it wasn't for me. I was doing well, but I just couldn't get past the fact that I felt that the whole process was completely ridiculous. You basically have to suffer through a gauntlet of bullshit before you can even start thinking about taking courses that are actually going to apply towards the career of your choice, and even then, in most cases, that isn't going to prepare you for what lays ahead anyway.

In today's society you're basically pigeonholed into a system that is guaranteeing $50,000-$200,000 of debt for the off-chance that you'll be able to land a job, post graduation, in the field of your choosing. It's despicable, misleading, and it gives kids a false sense of hope. Scary. If you go against the system and choose not to follow the standard path, and what you were previously doing falls through, you are screwed. Very few employers are going to hire someone with no degree or experience, regardless of leadership skills, or how motivated or intelligent they may be.

Anyway, after I left school I moved to Las Vegas, where I worked as an assistant at a pretty well known establishment. Well, being under 21 in Vegas is terrible. It's very difficult to meet genuine, like-minded people, and the folks you do meet aren't exactly friend material. After a little over a year I became severely depressed. I felt alone. So, I moved back to my home town in Massachusetts. Still depressed, I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. I did know (or thought I knew), however, that I didn't want to be another 9:00-5:00 slave who sacrifices his or her life to work a soul-stealing job that they despise.

After wallowing in my depression for a while I end up getting a job recruiting models for a website that my friend was a partial owner of. That lasted about a year. I was never on an official payroll and they were posturing to sell the company, so in essence, I was no longer needed. As a parting gift, my friend got me a gig writing for a popular blogging network.

Finally, something I felt that I really enjoyed doing, I loved it! Well...fast forward to a year later, and just like everything else in my life, that didn't last either. The blogging network I was a part of got sold and basically lost its soul. The corporate influence completely destroyed everything we had initially set out to be. So, I left.

Moving forward, 24 now, still severely depressed, and again having no idea what I'm going to do. I move to California to stay with an online friend who was going to UCSD. On the weekends we would go to LA and eventually we started hanging around the Comedy clubs a lot. I got to know a lot of the comics, made some solid, like-minded friends, and started enjoying my life for the first time ever. Well, a few months later my friend was graduating. After graduation she was moving back to Hawaii. She asked me to come with her, but for various reasons, I declined. I end up moving back to my home town in Massachusetts, yet again.

So, here I am today. I'm 26. I have absolutely no close friends. No girlfriend. No close family. Little money. No job. Nothing of substance to put on a resume. Nothing at all. I spent what money I did have on nice clothes and a decent car so I could, at least, outwardly appear as normal. Basically, I am hopeless. I am a shell of my former self. My depression has gotten way out of control. I used to be able to put the blinders on and tell myself that everything would be okay. I can no longer do that. I'm a very logical person. I feel that I am irrevocably screwed.

The loneliness above all else is what really is making me remarkably sad. I have many acquaintances, but literally no people I would call close friends. Some weekends I hang out with these acquaintances at bars. I smile, laugh, tell stories, etc...but Inside I feel dead and alone, and honestly, I don't even like going to bars. I hate the atmosphere, it's loud and you can't truly get to know people. In these same bars I meet girls, they tell me I'm handsome and give me compliments, but I'm a fraud. I can't tell them the truth about where my life is heading. I can't tell them that I was forced to move back home because of my failure of a life. I can't do it. I want companionship, but I feel that I can't be fully honest. My two biggest fears in life are to A) become a loser, and B) end up alone. I am living my nightmare.

I can no longer go a day without thinking about suicide. I don't think I will do it, but I can't really get the thoughts out of my head. It's the worst at night. I feel hopeless. I feel alone. I have really no idea what to do. I don't talk about my situation with anybody in real life, because I have too much pride and I don't want to seem like I'm insane. I don't really have anybody I would feel comfortable talking to either. I really have no idea what I'm going to do. I feel my existence is a torturous one.

I’m 25 years old, so I’m not far from your age. What I can say from my experiences – we are at that stage where we are young, yet we have just started learning a lot about life. It’s a difficult transition. Everyone has this picture perfect expectation of how things are suppose to go for them. We are suppose to graduate high school and go onto college. We are suppose to knock out a majority of our schooling and have either graduated or be near graduation by our mid 20’s. Maybe even furthering our education by that time, but have at least landed a well paying job in our field. We are suppose to have a close support group of family and friends. And in the middle of this busy, hectic lifestyle that doesn’t really sound busy at all (sounds like a piece of cake, but in reality, it isn’t), we are suppose to have found the love of our life and we are suppose to be on the verge of starting a future and family with that person.

In a perfect world, this is how it would work out for everyone. Granted, some people somehow manage to obtain this, “American Dream,” but even so, come out with some problems in the end. In reality, a lot of people are in the same position you are in. The job market is weak whether or not you have a fancy degree or a lot of job experience to put on your resume. I’ve come across a good number of people in their 30’s, 40’s, and even 50’s going back to college or just starting college. As we get older, friendships are much harder to obtain, therefore, there are sites like these that help bring together all of the lonely people.

Heck, next week I’m turning 26, single, living with my father, and working my butt off. The crowning moment of my life was obtaining an associate’s degree and getting a decent job, but my lifestyle makes me feel infantile. A good majority of people are doing the same thing, yet I feel the odd one out because of these expectations of the “American Dream.”

You have to try to look on the positive side of things. You had the opportunity to experience life in different regions of the country. You had the opportunity to try different fields of work. You met new people. Although the jobs didn’t last and the people moved on in their life, you moved on as well. You went back home and probably for a good reason. Something was telling you that was where you needed to be. It is probably feeling like a step back in life and these new experiences were rewarding because it felt as though you were progressing onto somewhere. I think you are at a point where you are unsure of what you want to do, but you really have a lot of options out there. It is just a matter of stirring up the energy to try.

Can you contact the lady who invited you to move to Hawaii with her?
I would do that and ask her if that would still be okay with her. It seemed to me you were happy with her. It also seemed she was happy with you.

I don't really have any advice to give, only being in high school myself, but for what it's worth:
I really hope things improve for you. You sound like an intelligent and expressive person, and I really doubt that not having friends around you is any sort of indication that you're a loser or anything like that.
And also; if you need people to talk to about things, this forum is a great place for it.
Good luck!

So I have to say I laughed at your little college loan rant. I know people who paid their way through college with scholarships. Hell at my sold college you could get a full ride scholarship for being the valedictorian. Plus that whole thing about how you do not learn anything useful. It is funny because I can say that is incorrect. I still look back on old college books for answers.

Anyway onto your problem. First you need to pick a location friend. If I met you and heard how much you moved around. I would not get too close to you because you might up and vanish. So a little consistency will do wonders.

Second why don't you believe these girls at the bars? I mean you are at least told that by random strangers. The only women who tell me I am handsome. Are my sisters and their friends, long time coworkers, and people who get to know me on forums. Otherwise, I am pretty much avoided. So why not believe them?

jjam said:
I would do that and ask her if that would still be okay with her. It seemed to me you were happy with her. It also seemed she was happy with you.

Never, never when you are feeling lost and depressed try to seek comfort in the opposite sex. Try your best to sort out your life first.

AFrozenSoul said:
So I have to say I laughed at your little college loan rant. I know people who paid their way through college with scholarships. Hell at my sold college you could get a full ride scholarship for being the valedictorian. Plus that whole thing about how you do not learn anything useful. It is funny because I can say that is incorrect. I still look back on old college books for answers.

The only reason I don't have debt is because my parents paid for my college. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go.

I have a 4 year degree and when I graduated I looked back and realized that the only thing I learned in those 4 years was how to surf the web. I didn't learn anything from the classes I took. I still have no idea how I graduated.

I read recently that kids are starting to learn that college doesn't always have a purpose. Even Steve Jobs learned that when he decided to drop out.

dave485 said:
I can no longer go a day without thinking about suicide. I don't think I will do it, but I can't really get the thoughts out of my head. It's the worst at night. I feel hopeless. I feel alone. I have really no idea what to do. I don't talk about my situation with anybody in real life, because I have too much pride and I don't want to seem like I'm insane. I don't really have anybody I would feel comfortable talking to either. I really have no idea what I'm going to do. I feel my existence is a torturous one.

At the age of 38, I know what you are going through. As I felt that way back when I was your age. Unfortunately I can't give any advice as I am still stuck in that situation. I have tried to talk to some people in real life about the issue but for the most part they quickly disappear as they don't want to hear about problems that they can't comprehend.

dave485 said:
I can't do it. I want companionship, but I feel that I can't be fully honest. My two biggest fears in life are to A) become a loser, and B) end up alone. I am living my nightmare.

I think I know what you mean. Although I don't think you need to be completely honest when you find friends. I know you said you feel you can't make friends because of how screwed up your life is. I don't think that to make friends, your life needs to be in order. I think almost everyone has a fault in their lives.

Maybe don't tell them everything. But believe that you can find friends that will be interested in you and would accept your 'failures'. For me, I don't think that you are a failure. I think you were just living life. Life is a journey and at 26, I don't think you can expect your life to be wonderful and decent. We never really know what we want - even at college or university - those can be really confusing times. I know that I dropped out about 3-4 times because I just didn't know what I want to do.

I met some folks who STILL don't know what they're doing even at age 40. I have a friend who is in his 40s having a very stable and secure job in Dubai and I told him I don't know what I want and he says "Don't worry about that, you'll never figure it out."

Then I said "Easy for you to say, you're stable." And he says "I hate that."

Anyways, give someone a chance to get to know you and your 'other side' of your story.

If bars aren't the place, how about joining a support group? I find attending social events where I meet complete strangers kind of interesting. Out of 10, maybe there is one that I can sort of talk to. Not all the time, but try.

Keep us updated on how you're doing okay.

There are many dark times where I also think of suicide because I feel so trapped and lonely. I know those feelings well enough. Like I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't help being completely alone too. We need people. We need each other. Imagine if you felt like that and someone - a stranger or a friend put his/her arm around you and say "We'll figure something out, I'll help you."

It means a lot.

beans said:
jjam said:

Never, never when you are feeling lost and depressed try to seek comfort in the opposite sex. Try your best to sort out your life first.

Never say never! :p
There is no constant or static solution to sorting out your life. There is no blueprint. If I followed the advice of what MOST people would say they'd do regarding one of my more recent situations, I'd be feeling pretty shitty right now. I'm glad I went against the grain and followed my heart. Instead of feeling bitter and resentment for someone, I am 100% confident that I'll love this person for the rest of my life and will continue to work at showing her that I've always cared about having her as a friend.

Now, I will retract the part where I said "I would do that..." becacuse I can't say for certain I would if I were in his position or even my own. It was just an idea, really.

"The loneliness above all else is what really is making me remarkably sad. I have many acquaintances, but literally no people I would call close friends." - dave485

In response to this, I don't see how you can take the idea of engaging those who welcomed him and classify it as a "never do" under your column of advice.

jjam said:
beans said:
jjam said:

Never say never! :p
There is no constant or static solution to sorting out your life. There is no blueprint. If I followed the advice of what MOST people would say they'd do regarding one of my more recent situations, I'd be feeling pretty shitty right now. I'm glad I went against the grain and followed my heart. Instead of feeling bitter and resentment for someone, I am 100% confident that I'll love this person for the rest of my life and will continue to work at showing her that I've always cared about having her as a friend.

Now, I will retract the part where I said "I would do that..." becacuse I can't say for certain I would if I were in his position or even my own. It was just an idea, really.

"The loneliness above all else is what really is making me remarkably sad. I have many acquaintances, but literally no people I would call close friends." - dave485

In response to this, I don't see how you can take the idea of engaging those who welcomed him and classify it as a "never do" under your column of advice.

It's not about feeling bitter and resentment but being independent and responsible for your own frustrations in life. I try not to run to someone, especially if its a guy, when I am feeling that lost in life. And to move IN with him? I don't know. And it sounds like Dave may have some romantic feelings for this friend too.

I'd rather start from scratch and try to make other friends first and not rely completely on one person. It's up to him to listen to anyone's advice, not like he's forced to.

At 45... i feel kike and is in the fight of my life.
I joined the usaf. I had well paying jobs.
Stayed at one for 16 years.

Everything turned upside down starting 5 yrs ago.
Since then i havnt veen able to get back to
That stable life.

Im fighting fir Renaes life.
Im fighting for Kimis life.
Im fighting for my family.

Its not getting any esier.
Im worned out.
Im werried.

Yes, im with the person ive always loved.

Mores stress. More oressure.
i feel like im fighting a loosing battle
With no releave in site.

Not really sure what keeps me going.
Probably the same reason why ypu get up
every morning...Hoping for the better.
Then the same old honeysuckle slaps me in the face.

If i go negative...it wont help.
On top of that its not in me to
be negative for too long...that honeysuckle
Is too painful for me.

@blackdot: College is what you make it. That is the main difference between it and K-12. Those who go to college as just going through the motions are not going to see any point in it. Sounds to me like you went through the motions. You went to college because that is what is expected not because you wanted to further your education. My college experience has given me a solid foundation to do my current job. By learning the principles and theories in my field I can more effectively and efficiently do my job.

In my career there are many types of people. I can easily tell the difference between them based on their work. Those who went to college, those who only have a grad degree, and those who are self-taught. Those who are self-taught, and those who only have a grad degree do crappy work because they never cared enough to learn the fundamentals.

Plus colleges are needed for research purposes. Why hire a professional to aid in research when you can just have someone pay you to learn. Then at the end of it all you can take credit for whatever discoveries you made. College plays a vital role in working in teams, balancing work and life, and eases people into adulthood.

They do serve a purpose. People just do not like them because they are expensive. They also take easily abused, under paid employes out of the workforce.

Dont get me wrong...
Im insecured and scared shitless.

I went through almost the samething
In bussiness matters with a friend a couple
Of years ago. The hard work and long
Hours you have to put into starting a bussiness.
I feel o got the short end of the stick on that.

So when Renae came back into my life,
I feel i can make a new start with her..
I moved from CA to NV to AZ to CA to TX
within a yr.
I also met plenty of people on the,move
Seeking employment due to the ecomanics
Fall out.

I feel like i ran the grunet.

I struggled witj the balance between work
And love.
My Relationship wuth Renae is about as unstable as anything else...
Because she's unstable. But my life was more unstable before
She contacted me.
Ive been in toxic relationship or live with alki before.
Im tolerable of her...as Im tolerable of our current life situation...
Such as crappy ass employment market at the moment.

Latest posts

Back