Most ambitious game?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman55

Reaction score
In your eyes, what's the most ambitious game since 2006? The requirements are it must have a single player campaign, and it can't be a sports/racing title. Preferably it should be available for PC. There should be something innovative about it, something that might get it included in the "Video Game History" book.

Some ideas, not all of which I played, include Bioshock 1, GTA 4, Crysis, The Witcher 2, Rage, Dishonored, and so on.

Anyone?

I'm no huge gamer or anything but you could add Gran Turismo, they're always trying to get the best out of the graphics and make it good game play at the same time; I'd call that ambitious.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Amazing car chase in the busy streets of Karachi, and the first game I ever played where you can train in a Jihad training camp :p

Also, not full of liberal PC nonsense, which is refreshing :D

Just to put a different slant on the title of this thread, the most ambitious game I ever played was Final Fantasy 7 in one sitting with no memory card.

I think Bioware's save importing feature for the Mass Effect series deserves to be mentioned. The level of recognition/continuity of choices is something I haven't seen in any other game series. Others I would mention would be Portal 1 and 2, Bioshock, Borderlands, Metro 2033, Red Dead Redemption, The Walking Dead.... that's what I get off the top of my head.

The Batman Arkham games, both have won game of the year and are the best superhero games ever made. They utilize everything that makes Batman great.

Sci-Fi said:
The Batman Arkham games, both have won game of the year and are the best superhero games ever made. They utilize everything that makes Batman great.

Certainly these games deserve some mention, but they are after all based on an existing and extremely popular brand. I suppose that would count against innovation a bit.

On a side note I haven't tried either Arkham game, but look forward to it. I'm very "behind" on all this because I kept an old computer so long, just recently got a good enough rig.

Skyrim, Fallout 3 a FO: New Vegas were ambitious, even though they're kind of glitchy.

The problem with the Bethesda open world games, in addition to the GTA series, is the quantity over quality approach. When you aim to create a huge game world full of things to see and do, inevitably you run across repetition and the quests eventually seem meaningless as you do the same thing over and over. An example of a game that suffered from this is Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion, which is still a very good game, but lacks variation the further you get into it and at a certain point it just feels like a chore.

I have not played Skyrim, but have read many user reviews of it, and they claim it suffers from the same problem Oblivion did. Many even said Oblivion was better, not a good sign IMHO.

A good number of the critic and user reviews for Skyrim were written around the time it was released, and it was released broken. They've since fixed most of the issues with it, so the reviews do not necessarily represent the final product as far as glitciness goes.

There is some repetition in dungeons and enemies, but repetition exists in many RPGs, whether it's grinding in MMO's or the constant 'Boy saves the world' storyline in JRPGs. a greater variation of enemies would have been nice, but Skyrim had some good storylines and interesting ways to bulid your character, not to mention some fun mods.

I agree that repetition also exists in many open world games, but I don't always see it as a bad thing. I never got bored playing it. The genre may not be for you, but the scope and amount of content in Skyrim was very ambitious.

I didn't care for the leveling system in Oblivion.

Actually all these games you've mentioned are right down my alley, perhaps I didn't make that clear. And I'm sure these titles are ambitious indeed. It's just I'm not sure if I want to put in 60+ hours anymore once it becomes pointless. I guess I'll just have to try them before I judge, though.

I meant there is a downside to the huge open world approach, which is repetition, and thus far it is inevitable. But I think if you could blend the tight, linear, closed-world approach of Half Life 2 (which to me is one of the best examples of "quality over quantity") with the size and scope of an Elder Scrolls RPG, you might have the perfect game. But that's a tall order so far. ;)

Batman55 said:
Actually all these games you've mentioned are right down my alley, perhaps I didn't make that clear. And I'm sure these titles are ambitious indeed. It's just I'm not sure if I want to put in 60+ hours anymore once it becomes pointless. I guess I'll just have to try them before I judge, though.

I meant there is a downside to the huge open world approach, which is repetition, and thus far it is inevitable. But I think if you could blend the tight, linear, closed-world approach of Half Life 2 (which to me is one of the best examples of "quality over quantity") with the size and scope of an Elder Scrolls RPG, you might have the perfect game. But that's a tall order so far. ;)

You should give Skyrim a try if you get a chance, it's cheap now and as fixed as it's going to get.

The Mass Effect series did that pretty **** well! I guess some people might also include Dragon Age Origins in what you're talking about, but I wasn't a fan.

I hope we get Half Life 3 in this upcoming gen.

The best i have ever played is definetely The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It is also so ambitious due to its shear size. when i play skyrim its like i am being transported to another reality, it all seems so real that i have kind of made an emotional bond with skyrim. Its graphics are amazing, its story is amazing, its perfect. It also has so amazing music it seems heavenly when played with headphones. Any one here likes skyrim?

I haven't played Skyrim yet. While I look forward to it, I'm getting tired a little of high fantasy games with dragons and dwarves and elves. I prefer something a bit more original.

I'm about to try Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. I'm debating whether I should play the original version, or the Complete mod.

Alduin said:
The best i have ever played is definetely The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It is also so ambitious due to its shear size. when i play skyrim its like i am being transported to another reality, it all seems so real that i have kind of made an emotional bond with skyrim. Its graphics are amazing, its story is amazing, its perfect. It also has so amazing music it seems heavenly when played with headphones. Any one here likes skyrim?

Agreed, I used to turn it on just to go for a wander in the wilderness, skin a few elk, find a few caves. Level up a bit and craft a bit of armour, hours would drift by and all I'd be doing was chopping wood or collecting ingredients for alchemy spells. An awesome waste of time :)

Lippy_Kid said:
I used to turn it on just to go for a wander in the wilderness

Same here. Walking in the snowy areas while some of that ambient music plays is surreal. On my main character I did that and explored every cave and ruin I could find. The only major things I haven't done is collect all the Dragon Masks to get the last one, and collect all the pieces of the rare gems.

edgecrusher said:
Lippy_Kid said:
I used to turn it on just to go for a wander in the wilderness

Same here. Walking in the snowy areas while some of that ambient music plays is surreal. On my main character I did that and explored every cave and ruin I could find. The only major things I haven't done is collect all the Dragon Masks to get the last one, and collect all the pieces of the rare gems.

I still remember Annik's face when I killed my wife by accident.

If ever a sentence needed context :p

Latest posts

Back