Mottos or quotes that help get you through the day?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreakingtheGirl

Reaction score
Since we all try to get through every day as best we can while struggling with our own personal issues, do you have a personal motto, quote from a book, song lyrics or a saying that you continually tell yourself in your head that helps you through the day? That helps keep your sad thoughts at a minimum?

A few years ago, I really struggled to stay sane at night. My mind would be so busy with work, classes, and tasks that needed my attention during the day, but my personal issues would all come crashing down on me when I was home alone at night. My mind would be so preoccupied with things to do during the day and at night all my problems would keep spinning in my head when I should have been sleeping to rest up for the following day. I dreaded going home alone at night, even seeing the sun go down, and even leaving work because I knew that meant I was alone with my sadness to think about at home. At that time, my personal motto was "the night is alright", meaning that I'll be okay those nights and it would be day time soon for me to keep busy again. It helped me not fear the nighttime and my overwhelming thoughts. The more I kept saying it, the more I convinced myself that I shouldn't be in fear of my sadness overcoming me all night.

Right now, I'm going through a hard breakup. I'm in the whole "he was The One, I can't go on without him, I can't take it if he gets a new gf" phase of the breakup process. As morbid as this may sound, I tell myself constantly "It won't matter who he dates after me or who he starts to love... because once we pass, it won't mean a thing in the end. Nothing lasts for eternity."
Saying this helps minimize my emotional thoughts from driving me crazy.

If we post quotes, words of encouragement, song lyrics, mottos, etc that help us, maybe we can help each other get through our days (and nights). :)

BreakingtheGirl said:
If we post quotes, words of encouragement, song lyrics, mottos, etc that help us, maybe we can help each other get through our days (and nights). :)
Thanks for starting up this thread. I used to (and still do at times) write a lot of mottos at the back pages of my notebook to keep myself motivated. The only thing i've learned is to "Look at yourself, not at your Mottos". They keep changing weekly, monthly, or even daily because life never stays the same. Every experience is different. So if you approach your Present with (mottos) past experiences, you won't be able to experience its beauty fully. "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
Mottos indeed help at times of inner crisis, but its always good to be aware of their limitations. :)Life is an examination is which no question is repeated. Only new questions are there. And new questions can be answered, only with fresh intelligence; not through memory.

Success and Failure are quite the same...You can't escape the next challenge.
Fighting is what matters, Living alone counts. Try not to run away.
"Even if one wins a rat race, one continues to be a rat"

A Koan: Return to Innocence

Don't be afraid to be weak
Don't be too proud to be strong
Just look into your heart, friend
That will be the return to yourself

The return to innocence
The return to innocence

And if you want, then start to laugh
If you must, then start to cry
Be yourself, don't hide
Just believe in destiny

Stopping it here, I'll post more if you want.

"I am ok." / "Everything is ok" / "It could be better but it could also be worse, so it's ok"
"I am doing fine"
"I can make it"
"Tomorrow is another day" / "Tomorrow will be a great day"

can't think of any others right now :/

"Let's do this honeysuckle."

Yeah, I have a hard time taking myself serious when uttering the usual motivationals or any other elaborate quotes to make myself move. So that's good enough for me.

"you can not control another persons actions or thoughts, but you CAN control your reaction and thoughts about it"

" A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP " Leonard Nimoy

SivaGCool said:
BreakingtheGirl said:
Thanks for starting up this thread. I used to (and still do at times) write a lot of mottos at the back pages of my notebook to keep myself motivated. The only thing i've learned is to "Look at yourself, not at your Mottos". They keep changing weekly, monthly, or even daily because life never stays the same. Every experience is different. So if you approach your Present with (mottos) past experiences, you won't be able to experience its beauty fully. "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
Mottos indeed help at times of inner crisis, but its always good to be aware of their limitations. :)

I've always been a sucker for a good, deep, and meaningful quote that really makes me THINK and put things into perspective, even though my mind & thoughts are all over the place lol. I think they bring me back down to Earth to look at the "bigger picture" of whatever I'm feeling or going through at the time. Of course not everyone can and will relate to every quote on this thread, but if people can post something that helps them daily, then others can pick & choose what sayings they can relate to as well.
The good 'ole saying and advice I've always been told/hear is "it takes Time" or "give it Time for you to heal" is always true to any situation. A breakup, finding a new job, having an argument with someone, even physical scars. Time is something that is needed to process situations, come to a conclusion about something, and even heal physically, mentally, and emotionally. There are always mottos/sayings that can apply to any situation, then again like you said, there are mottos/sayings that change depending on the current situation and growth.

"The night is alright" was a saying I made up that helped me 4 yrs ago, but these days I love when it's night time because now I know how to unwind my thoughts & emotions and not be scared of what I may feel while I'm alone. Whether it's writing, crying, reading, walking around my neighborhood feeling the cool air, etc Ive learned to not fear being alone with my thoughts at night & know how to control them I guess. So you're definitely right, saying & mottos do change! :)

Wayfarer said:
"I am ok." / "Everything is ok" / "It could be better but it could also be worse, so it's ok"
"I am doing fine"
"I can make it"
"Tomorrow is another day" / "Tomorrow will be a great day"

can't think of any others right now :/

These are great. Short, uplifting, and to the point!
As long as it keeps you going and encourages you, that's all that matters. I do need to think these thoughts daily too :)

Rodent said:
"Let's do this honeysuckle."

Yeah, I have a hard time taking myself serious when uttering the usual motivationals or any other elaborate quotes to make myself move. So that's good enough for me.

Haha, love this. Reminds me of some action movie character throwing on some dark shades while dramatically saying to his sidekick "Let's do this honeysuckle", then kicking down a door or something equally as entertaining lol. I have bad anxiety to the point that I have to talk myself into going inside the grocery store to buy just one item or going into the bank to speak to a teller. Most times I just think to myself "Just F***ing go in there & get it done!!" and "Let's do this honeysuckle" are sayings that help me get over myself and my anxiety lol.
Thanks for posting!

BreakingtheGirl said:
Haha, love this. Reminds me of some action movie character throwing on some dark shades while dramatically saying to his sidekick "Let's do this honeysuckle", then kicking down a door or something equally as entertaining lol. I have bad anxiety to the point that I have to talk myself into going inside the grocery store to buy just one item or going into the bank to speak to a teller. Most times I just think to myself "Just F***ing go in there & get it done!!" and "Let's do this honeysuckle" are sayings that help me get over myself and my anxiety lol.
Thanks for posting!

Heh, nothing to it. Though I'm just socially avoidant this is exactly what I tell myself before I go into the store opposite of my place. A bit of not-giving-a-fresia goes a long way. Whatever does the trick. After all, what's to lose? I know, if reasoning with the own anxious self would only be that easy...

What you do every day, that s what you are
Be the change you want to see in the world
Don t take no crap no more (this one, I made it up)
Like a bird has the right to sing, I have the right to express myself

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die. Come watch T.V.?

Here's what kept me focused, growing up in a marginally dysfunctional family, my own personal eleventh commandment: "Thou shalt not make things worse."

A few more:

"What's Life without a few Dragons"

"Even this will pass away"

"This is not me; This is not mine; This is not myself"

"Lying is the royal road to chaos"

"Happiness is within"

"What makes you laugh, is what makes you cry"

And Now i know why the Buddha is laughing...
quote_1.png

Dandelion said:
"you can not control another persons actions or thoughts, but you CAN control your reaction and thoughts about it"

Oh man, this is a saying I NEEDED to learn like 10 yrs ago lol. I've heard this many times but for the life of me can't change about myself. I need this saying posted right on my phone wallpaper to remind me every minute of the day! ;)

Arachne said:
" A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP " Leonard Nimoy

This is a lot like my signature quote, I like it! Except this quote is very optimistic, sweet, and speaks of treasuring precious moments through memories.
..and not quoted by a suffering soul of a lustful woman in the 2nd circle of Hell lol (Dante's Inferno "humor")

"When there is a will, there is a way"

I remember this when people decide to leave me and I have the urge to sell myself short so they can stay. Never again!. The door is open if you want to leave. Is time to stop giving your time and energy for someone who gave up on you. I love myself so much, to fight for breadcrumbs.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

“I am ashamed of the race of beings to which I belong. It is so cruel and bigoted, so hypocritical, so soulless and insane. I would rather be an insect ... a bee or a butterfly ... and float in dim dreams among the wild-flowers of summer than be a man and feel the horrible and ghastly wrongs and sufferings of this wretched world.” - Professor J. Howard Moore

Latest posts

Back