Movies and loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marfles7

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you watch movies. But i just wanted to share that there are movies that make me feel shittier, especially cause sometimes writers write the crappiest stories. There are comedies that are really entertaining, just as long they don't play the usual 'i love' 'i hate you' and then 'i run after the taxi/bus/plane/train/donkey etc. to get the girl back again' and voila happy ending.

Aside from comedies, movies that remind me of loneliness from different perspectives are the ones like, "One Hour Photo," "Plane, Trains and Automobiles," or "May."

And i can't stand Nicholas Sparks! It's the same sad story over and over again just with a different title and characters. I usually avoid the movies based on his books, because i already know exactly what will happen. Most of his stories leave me more depressed, sad and afraid to feel happy because if you're happy, something bad or tragic will happen to you. Seriously Sparks sucks in my opinion.

Movies can be very cool. As long as you learn something or at least relate to them, instead of wasting an hour and half watching people running around, shooting each other.

Anyways the movies i really enjoy are: Genre; comedy, drama, romance.
Here are some that i like:

500 days of summer
Everybody's Fine
Spread
Dedication
Numb

Im also a big fan of mafia or biography movies. Anything from Pacino, De Niro, Johnny Depp or Matt Damon will do. :cool:

I'm a sucker for a good drama.

A lot of modern mainstream films are mind-numbingly lacking in substance, I often feel depressed watching these and thinking that this and top 40 music is as far as culture is going to get for a lot of people.

Still, I love researching the depths of film history and finding stuff that resonates personally with me.

yea i get what your saying with one hour photo and may. they were very interesting movies though. i work at a movie store and most people didnt like those movies but i did because they were different. i havent watched any sparks movies. i dont really watch a lot of love stories probably because i am alone and have never been in a relationship. if i had someone to watch them with i would though. the most recent love story that i watched and acutally really liked was the time travelers wife. but that probably has more to do with me lovng sci-fi, especially time travel.

ya I'm not one for romantic comedies and crap

-- hey let's go to a movie store and put all the romantic comedies in the science fiction section :p

some movies that I really like and i think are really good for lonely people
are Little miss sunshine danni darko and into the wild

if you're feeling sad you'll probably get a good cry from the 1st and last one

babala said:
A man alone when watching a movie

-----------------------------------------
http://www.christianlouboutincabinet.com

same here..I only go to the cinema every halloween to see the latest 'saw' movie..that'll probably stop though because I can't stand sitting through the half hour of adverts..
..or a local college sometimes puts on a good film but I rarely go.
Movies have to be studied and analyzed especially if it's directed by the likes of Ingmar Bergman,Luis Bunuel or Jean Cocteau..but then even flicks like 'Nightmares in a damaged brain' have something to say..
Lights off,curtains pulled..film on!

Most of the stuff Hollywood produces are clichés dressed up with special effects or celebrity movie stars. If people like watching the same thing over and over again that's fine, I suppose, but I get bored within the first five minutes. I think the more independent and foreign movies you see the less interesting you find the stuff churned out by Hollywood today.

Apart from the ones already mentioned, good movies which feature loneliness as a theme include:

Bleak Moments
Punch Drunk Love
Rushmore
Remains of the Day
Paris, Texas
Ghost World
Breaking the Waves
The Dead Girl

evanescencefan91 said:
ya I'm not one for romantic comedies and crap

-- hey let's go to a movie store and put all the romantic comedies in the science fiction section :p

some movies that I really like and i think are really good for lonely people
are Little miss sunshine danni darko and into the wild

if you're feeling sad you'll probably get a good cry from the 1st and last one

I have to agree about Little Miss Sunshine. I refused to watch it at the theater because i thought it was gonna be a big drama queen fiasco. But then i rented it and LOVED it. Not to mention i laughed my ass off during most of the film.

I liked it also because most of the characters ended up almost the same way they started. The difference was that they saw their "bad luck" in a different way. And they all grew up a little bit from inside.

I cant do dark/ introspective movies... they're totally interesting but right now they make me feel worse and thats not good. You will never catch me renting a tragedy.. I always ask if it ends badly i'm not going down that road!

Also, I cant do any romantic comedy right now in my life .. It just hurts to bad. Seeing the couple so happy together.

comedy's, action, adventure, drama, thriller, sci-fi... I'm all about it.

I just saw Iron Man 2 last night and I loved it

Latest posts

Back