Moving to new places

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello folks,

So im going to tell you about my problems that I have been dealing with here recently and hope you will give me some great advice. I moved to a new area close to a year ago, leaving all of my family, and friends behind. Here in my new community I still have no friends other than those whom I work with. I have no clue on how to get out and make new friends. On my days off I usually just stay around my home, I never really socialize with anyone. I feel isolated and alone here, and its led to some depression. I have no girlfriend, which would really make things so much better If I did. Basically I just want to know if anyone elsr has had this type of experience and how to get your life going again. At this point I feel like everyday is the same and I am stranded on my own.

Hi there :)

I am sorry things are tough for you at the moment. I am sure you know all this already, but have you any hobbies that you enjoy. Could they lead to joining a club in the area? Also what are the people with you work with like, I know it can be a tricky situation socializing with colleagues, but some people make great friendships through work! Maybe ask someone to do something at the weekend, or do you feel confident organising something and inviting them, a housewarming, you could invite neighbour's as well. I know most of these ideas take a great deal of confidence, but just ideas :). These may also lead to a girlfriend as well :).

I hope you find something to help your situation, let us know how you get on :).

Andrew said:
Hello folks,

So im going to tell you about my problems that I have been dealing with here recently and hope you will give me some great advice. I moved to a new area close to a year ago, leaving all of my family, and friends behind. Here in my new community I still have no friends other than those whom I work with. I have no clue on how to get out and make new friends. On my days off I usually just stay around my home, I never really socialize with anyone. I feel isolated and alone here, and its led to some depression. I have no girlfriend, which would really make things so much better If I did. Basically I just want to know if anyone elsr has had this type of experience and how to get your life going again. At this point I feel like everyday is the same and I am stranded on my own.

I've done the same, and I know it's tough. I joined a gym, not really made any friends, but at least it gets me out of my home, I can smalltalk with people there, and the exercise is obviously good for you.

I can't really add much to what's already been suggested. Looking to join a club or a group is a good idea or just casually grab a beer with a work buddy or 2. You'd hope from that you'd meet other people.
Also, I know you didn't suggest this but I wouldn't be relying on a girlfriend to make things better. And that's not a reflection on women. I just don't think it's wise to pin your hopes on one particular person, male or female, to make a massive change in your life. Yes it definitely can improve your life and bring great happiness and excitement, and not least someone to do some things with but I just think its wise to have relationships that are removed from your intimate relationship. However, I have no doubt it'd be enriching for anyone but maybe focus on just making friendly connections first. Give yourself a solid base that you can add to with even more good things.

Latest posts

Back