My Biggest Fear and Problem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ExtensivexLDL

Hey everyone. Well I already introduced myself in the New User Forum and you can find my comprehensive bio on my user page, so i'll try keep this more brief. Anyway..
I'm a 19 year-old male right now and I've never had a girlfriend. I'm still a virgin, have never kissed a girl, asked someone out or even been on a single date before..To go back, I started school here in grade 3 and until grade 6, i was a typical clown.. I never really did make a lot of friends, i guess partly due to still learning the language and also partly due to being absetminded most of the time and preffering to be alone, though I did get a lot of laughs in the class and that sustained me in a sense.. Then everything changed in grade 7.. For some reason I became really quiet and started being rude to fellow classmates..Whenever someone would try to talk to me I'd give them the cold shoulder and wouldn't say much, or in the worst case, tell them to shut-up..And this pervaded over the years..In grade 8, i became UNBEARABLY quiet and almost everyone who knew me really thought i was weird and unfriendly..Dido for high school, where my social skills were deplorable, though it would be a while before i would come to realize that..I missed out on ALOT..I barely joined any clubs, my group of friends (who I never was particularly thrilled about) barely changed- i would be meeting new people but be unable to make a good impression on them, inadvertedly pushing them away.. I'd continue to be rude to classmates and spent a lot of my time alone or otherwise in my unsocial shell.. Gradually, I began to think of myself as a "cool loner" and this no doubt exacerbated everything.. So yeah, you get the drift.. It would really be a while before I would come to realize how much I messed-up those years..I'd be spending so much freaking time with people who were pretty much "geeks" because I couldn't fit into anywhere else..As for birthdays? I barely celebrated any.. In fact I only remember but TWO of those measly instances in which i did.. I guess I feared attention or something back then..

Anyway, to cut to the chase.. Here I am. 19 years old. In my second year of university.. I've been improving and working on a lot of things..I no longer feel that I don't have any friends (they're pretty much the same geeky friends from high school, though I no longer dislike them as much)..I also actually have job experience now and I didn't only like 6 months ago.. But I don't have a girlfriend still. I never did..COMPLETELY INEXPERIENCED. I mean sure I've read a shitload of advice on the web and sure I'd probably know what to do in theory, but my biggest fear is that I'll remain single until an advanced age like 30 while everyone around me marries, settles down, has children, etc.. I mean it sucks like honeysuckle.. I commute back and forth to the campus whever I have classes and I'd see these high school kids..People of the age that I was only recently..Holding hands, kissing, embracing, etc... If I could turn back time to the start of high school I really ******* would..I'm just worried that I'll never really meet anyone and the years will just pass by just as they did before..And even if I do meet someone, I'm just worried that I'll screw it up or won't have enough confidence to ask them out or whatever.. The underlying problem is that I still only have that one, geeky group of friends, who spends time with each other and no one ever knew shows up..I also don't see them much anyway because we go to different universities..So yeah.. Would you say that I need to get another, "cooler" group of friends before I can hope to meet someone? Should I just go out and try to join as many clubs as possible? I guess also go to events and whatever..

Yeah. I've rambled for long enough and I'd appreciate to hear any thoughts and/comments in regards to this. Particularly, if there any guys out there who are sorta in the same position as me, with the same fear and who want to share what they think, that'd be pretty sweet..

Cheers.

I havent done that much and i'm 20. :) I dont think its something you should worry about. Eventually SOMEDAY you'll meet someone that you "click" with. I do however support you going out and joining some clubs; talking to people. If you dont talk to people there will be no chance to connect with others.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back