My face defaults into a frown

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
I think it's the number one reason why I haven't got any friends and women aren't interested in me. It's not like I am miserable, far from it. It's just my face settles into a frown. At school people called me 'Happy harry' , all thru my adult life people make comments, do double takes, give me funny looks. I ignore the comments better now although sometimes it hurts. Last year the area manager at work in front of customers, the manager and all the staff said 'this guy never smiles' - I was super pissed off at that !

I am reasonable happy as a person but my face rarely shows it. I do smile and laugh just as much as everybody else.

Some people, they have happy faces and everybody seems to like them.

I am not sure what I can do, my face just hangs into a frown all the time even when I am not thinking or anything.

Anybody got any advice ?

Thanks !

I have the same problem. Sorry to say, but I have no advice to get rid of it. As a result, people think I'm super serious about everything. So it results in great Daria-style fun with sarcasm.

Your face is just something you've got to live with. I had a surprising experience when I'd dated a girl for a couple of months. She told me I never stopped smiling. I was deeply confused by this... but then I realised, I smiled around her more. Ultimately... the only way to replicate that is to have more happy experiences? Go to stand up comedy? I know this isn't great advice... but I haven't really seen this as a problem. Less tolerant people will dislike you for it... but frankly, who needs those people in your life anyway?

The other alternative I can think of... is to embrace this social role? I'm sure you've seen in various tv shows that there's a guy who is "too serious" or "never happy" and everybody likes to joke about it. People tend to like being able to make those jokes... embracing this role could potentially make you a hit with other people. (Many people love those who are willing to be self deprecating.)

Nightwing said:
I have the same problem. Sorry to say, but I have no advice to get rid of it. As a result, people think I'm super serious about everything. So it results in great Daria-style fun with sarcasm.

Your face is just something you've got to live with. I had a surprising experience when I'd dated a girl for a couple of months. She told me I never stopped smiling. I was deeply confused by this... but then I realised, I smiled around her more. Ultimately... the only way to replicate that is to have more happy experiences? Go to stand up comedy? I know this isn't great advice... but I haven't really seen this as a problem. Less tolerant people will dislike you for it... but frankly, who needs those people in your life anyway?

The other alternative I can think of... is to embrace this social role? I'm sure you've seen in various tv shows that there's a guy who is "too serious" or "never happy" and everybody likes to joke about it. People tend to like being able to make those jokes... embracing this role could potentially make you a hit with other people. (Many people love those who are willing to be self deprecating.)

Thanks.

I realize there isn't much I can do. I try to keep happy and not get too down. Like yourself, some people do say nice things, one woman at xmas said I was 'always jovial' - I should really concentrate on what they say.

I avoid having my photo taken and I don't feel comfortable in social situations though.

Triple Bogey said:
Nightwing said:

Thanks.

I realize there isn't much I can do. I try to keep happy and not get too down. Like yourself, some people do say nice things, one woman at xmas said I was 'always jovial' - I should really concentrate on what they say.

I avoid having my photo taken and I don't feel comfortable in social situations though.

You're not alone there. I've always hated having my photo taken. Perhaps it's worth considering the whole "be yourself and screw anyone who doesn't like it" attitude? After all, whenever I think I'm unpopular, I try to remember that nobody is liked by everybody. That's a fantasy created by the media. No matter who you are or where you're from or what you're like... there will be at least one person who doesn't like you. Once you accept this, it should be a bit easier to focus on the people who say positive things about you.

For some reason, the general view of the people who are liked by everyone, is someone very happy and smiley. Personally, I really don't like these people. Anyone who has a smile on their face too frequently is clearly evil :p They're upto something, ya know? Nobody is that happy! They're lying!

In all seriousness - think to yourself, what is the stereotypical view of someone who is always smiling? I'd say it's probably that they're simple. Better to be thought too serious than be thought retarded? In the end... the boiled down point is all judgements based on stereotyping. It would be best to get out of this method of thinking. And even if you can't... you don't have the worst stereotype out there. :cool:

Same problem here.

It's even worse when I am concentrating on something.

People at work coming up and saying 'smile'

Reminds me of a scene from one of my favourite shows 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'

Love Larry David's response

[video=youtube]

My mom has a natural frown, she hates having her picture taken because she always looks grumpy. People would often ask her why she looks mad or angry, she's just tell them, she's not she has a natural frown. Once people got to know her they forgot about it.

Sci-Fi said:
My mom has a natural frown, she hates having her picture taken because she always looks grumpy. People would often ask her why she looks mad or angry, she's just tell them, she's not she has a natural frown. Once people got to know her they forgot about it.

I usually do when people say 'what's up ?' - I say 'nothing'

OnlyMe said:
Same problem here.

It's even worse when I am concentrating on something.

People at work coming up and saying 'smile'

Reminds me of a scene from one of my favourite shows 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'

Love Larry David's response

[video=youtube]

At school people would say 'smile' all the time. And when I started working it was hell. I think now I have just learned to ignore the comments.

Latest posts

Back