My life feels like a dream

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Reaction score
Hi everyone... Like many of you probably did, I found this site by typing "I am lonely" in google. If I think about it that way, it almost seems creepy in a way, like this forum is just a huge sociological/psychological experiment...run by the government. Or aliens :p Maybe we'll all be beamed up to the mothership...

Anyways, my name is Shane, I'm 23 years old, from Chicago. I've been lonely for the majority of my life, although I rarely admit that about myself. I've always felt different from other people, maybe because there were very few Asians in my neighborhood when I grew up - I grew up in a predominantly WASP neighborhood. I don't know... I hate to blame others for my personality (it seems irresponsible or immature, somehow...) anyways, for whatever reason, I've always felt different than other people and have had difficulty relating to them. I had very low self esteem and was very angry as a teenager and would cut myself, burn myself, punch holes in walls, and took everything as an insult. I started mellowing out around junior year of high school, but maybe I just stopped caring. Ever since then, when times are bad, I can sometimes manage to convince myself that everything I experience is only a dream.

I've heard since I was little that if you want a good, happy life, you need to work hard. I've always believed this, but lately I think maybe it was this attitude that makes me so lonely.

I always feel the need to accomplish things, because I feel like if I don't accomplish things, nothing good will happen. I'm good at sports, I graduated near the top of my high school, got a full scholarship to one of the best universities in the country, graduated with highest honors , and got several job offers to prestigious companies. I've been working as a consultant for close to two years now at a good firm. I feel like I should feel good about my life, but I still feel like nothing good has happened, and I feel very alone.

I've never had any close friends, besides my ex-girlfriend. We've been together off and on for six years, but we had a rocky relationship for the first few years and we stopped telling people we were together, although we continued to act as if we were going out. I've never imagined what my life would be like without her, since she's my only friend and the only person that calls me every day and the only person who really knows me as a person. I can't remember more than a few times in the past six years that I haven't talked to her for an extended period of time. I had friends that I wasn't very close with, but they all faded away as I spent more and more time with my girlfriend. When we had fights and weren't talking to each other, I would feel so lonely it was unbearable. I often thought of killing myself at these times, but I never thought that I would actually do it. I guess I just like thinking that there's always some escape, even if it's drastic. I think deep down inside, I feel like I don't deserve to die, because I feel like I've worked hard, and, if the world is fair, I should have a good life. I guess I just can't let go of the feeling that the world is fair...and that's why I'll probably never kill myself.

Last week she decided to end our relationship, because she said she was tired of her life here in Illinois (no job, no family, no friends), unready to settle down, and she became friends with a group of people that she met from the west coast. She slept with one of them, and this guy she slept with asked her to come visit him at his place on the west coast. We had a big fight over her sleeping with him, but in the end, I forgave her because she said that she loved me, and not him, and she wanted to be with me, and that I was her best friend and the most important person in the world to her. She said she still wanted to visit him, not because of him, but because it was like a possibility of a new life, and a new group of friends, and maybe a new job. She said she wouldn't go if I told her not to, since she didn't want to jeopardize our relationship, but I told her that if I told her not to go, she would probably just resent me, since she said she was already bored in Illinois with no family, no friends, and no job. I told her she should go, but that if she didn't want to jeopardize our relationship, she should set boundaries with this guy and tell him she was just interested in visiting the area and that group of people, not him in particular, and wouldn't be visiting him as anything more than a friend.

Before she left, she promised that nothing would happen and that she would make it clear to this guy that she wouldn't be sleeping with him.

Anyways...she called me when she got there and told me that he was expecting her to sleep with him, and that it would make it awkward for her to be hanging out with that group of people if she didn't sleep with him, since they all kind of assumed that she was there to visit him as more than a friend. She told me that she felt like she should just go with it since she wanted a chance at something completely different and if sleeping with this guy was part of the deal, then so be it.

So she's gone now...and I'm still here.

I don't know what to do with my life anymore. I do have interests and hobbies... but I can't get over the feeling that my life is meaningless. I don't really know how to relate to people... and I'm not sure that I can learn how to. I just work, go the gym, and sleep. I've always been like that, just keeping my head down and working hard to accomplish things, but before, at least my ex-girlfriend was able to make me feel like my accomplishments meant something. I felt like working and making money was worthwhile since I could spend it on her, on us. Now I feel like nothing I have or do means anything.

Sometimes when I feel really lonely, I reach out to old acquaintances and friends, but none of them take me seriously. They tell me, "You're good looking, athletic, smart, and have a good job. What do you have to complain about? Anyone would want to have your life." I really feel like I'm at the end of my rope now, though... I don't know what to do anymore. I just feel empty, and tired of working hard for a good life that never seems to come. I tell myself it's just a dream anyways...that maybe it never happened, since I'm alone and no one is here to tell me my memories are real. But even when I tell myself it's just a dream, I still feel so empty.

Anyways, sorry for the sob story... I just needed to talk to some people that can maybe understand and empathize with my situation. I almost feel like I don't deserve empathy, since I've never really been able to relate to others.

Hummm, shane sorry to hear your sad story. Welcome to the forum. I think sometime in our life, we will encounter a situation that involves a relationship falling apart. No doubt letting go is hard, but i think it is the way to go. Hanging on to the relationship will only hurt you much. Maybe after letting her go, you can try open yourself out abit to the people around you?

Welcome Shane. I'm sorry things have been going so roughly.

Hey shane welcome to the forum,

I'm sure you've probably already thought about it, but what if you moved the west coast with her?

Or are you too commited to your job, through i wouldn't recommend it unless you can find another job out there.

you don't have to apologise it wasn't a sob story, you were just telling us what was going on in your life.
You never have to be sorry for expressing yourself.

anyways i hope things get better, welcome to the forum mate

peace

:D

Be honest but this is negative comments.
I think real mean when people say they are happy is one of biggest pretending or they don't know how they feel about their life but have only functional brain to breathe and eat or taking a happy candy secretly which is unreported to the world or, dang I am so jealousy, they just have positive energy.

Our feeling is simply signal of brain as you heard a lot. ( I am not a science believer blindly but it is good to make assumption and reasons.) Also you know some people get help with medical pills which is could make loneliness or depression away. I thought should I get some help? But that is just making me dysfunctional to make me look normal?!?
How I feel about loneliness is it is very natural feeling.
Many reasons could affect to this feeling like different appearances or status.
And I don't know how to deal with this feeling still. But this is natural thing. Only matter is aware or not.
You might know the story of "flowers for Algernon"
I am sure you know enough what is different with loneliness and lack of self-confidence.

I don't know your ex-girlfriend at all and it might not right to judge her by only your testimony. But can you buy what she said to you? Because I don't.
She might have a reason but can you do and say the same thing exactly what she have done to you if you still love her?
I am O.K with one night standing (we do make mistakes. and instinct is too wild to be controlled sometimes), for the new life (yes I don't have any objections) but why she have to visit that guy again? Nonsense.
You will never know what is going on with her really until she directly talks to you.

I don’t know what is true any more.

I likened life to game. I thought this game is too boring and lonely. So I wanted start new game. For that I needed to remove my character. I wasted my points to built skill tree.
Blah Blah …. We’ve still got time Shane. And I like the fact that I am main character of this game.

A life like dream - I was so sad because I was afraid that if my life is just a dream of plastic part. I wanted be a dream of wood or a leaf or rock. I can’t get it neither but I was.

Sorry for arbitrary comments

* You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
You may say I'm messed up, but I'm not the only one

I'm sorry you're going through this Shane.

I can't say i know exaclty how you feel, but I pretty much
went through the samething that you're going through.
The circumstance arn't exaclty the same, but yeah pertty
much almost the same.

Yeah...like a freaken crazy dream or nightmare.
Sometimes I'll pinch myself hoping it's just a dream.

You almost decribe me to the key. i didn't even know
how to process my emotions when i found out my ex-gf
cheated on me. I still loved her after all of that..
I didn't know how to stop loving her. I build my life
around her for so long. Even though in my head
I knew what she had done or the way she treated
me was that she didn't love me. She tells me she loves
me all the time but what she dose is the opposite.

It was extreem hard for me to break away..becuase
we still lived in the same town. Everytime i went back
to her..it got worst and worst...becuase she had gotten
away with it and was willing to drop me at a drop of a hat.
I however...didn't know how to stop loving her.

I'm sorry for you lost. And whatever it is you're feeling
or going through...it's normal giving the circumstance.
You are not crazy...it hurts, it's confusing.
It's very stressful and drain you to go through a break up.
Right, wrong, or indifferent...you still lost onesome that's very improtant to you.

Grieving is one of the lowest emotion a human
can go through. And it dosn't happen over nite. You can't just
drop it, get over it, let go....obviousely I'm smart enough
to figure that out...It's living the process that will rip
you apart. I use to wait up everyday hoping i would be okay,
but i wasn't...I was hurt. I was an emotional wreack

And for the most part , i still struggle to convience myself
there's meaning to my life.

anyway...please take care of yourself through this process.
Be gentle to yourself. Love yourself...that kid,the innocent
kid inside of you. Be kind to him.

The freaken hardest thing i had to do...
I had to love myself no matter what.
As much as i love her..I had to love myself a 1000 times more.
i just have to tell myself this...even if I don't feel it or belive it.

Give yourself time to grieve. 30-45 days.
Surround yourself with beauty....there's beauty in life
even without her ...you just need to be reminded of it.

It's sort of wierd or a paradox. Embrace your pains and fears, welcome it.
Nothing i say to you will remove your pain.
But the sooner you embrace it, the sooner you will come out of it.

Remove...anything that belongs to her or the things that
she had giving you. Her pictures...etc
It hard I know...but those things will trigger emotions and
thoughts of her and sometimes it'll send you into a spiral.
You think about her enough as it is.

Don't listen to pop music or music with words for a while.
The love songs or broken hearts songs will trigger a lot of emotions.
Listen to new age music for a while, becuase they don't have words.

I even had to go buy a new set of shoe...just to try
to convience myself i can walk and live this life without her.
Just put one foot in front of the other and try to hold
my head up. I still wear shades because there's still
tears in my eyes...but it's okay. i don't wear them
as much anymore.

Reach out and talk to people. Keep a journal. Write anything and everything that
you feel or think...this way it won't eat you up inside or go spining in your mind all the time.
You don't have to carry it aorund all the time...it's on paper.
Plus after weeks or months from now, you can go back to read it ...you'll notice progress you made.

Latest posts

Back