My Situation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyGuy

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and found this site by desperately typing "loneliness" into google. This might be a long post, but I'll try to be as concise as possible in describing what brought me here.
Almost 2.5 years ago, I left my family and small group of longtime close friends in California behind for a job in Northern Delaware. Yep, Delaware. Having grown up as an East-Indian-American in West Los Angeles, a rather diverse and liberal part of the country, living here has been nothing but a constant case of culture shock. I now live in a city of ignorant, racist hicks that I never imagined could have really existed and have nothing to show for myself in terms of a social life. People look at me like I'm a terrorist and I haven't met any girls that I've clicked with. Moving back home now would be pointless. I would be giving up a great job and a house that I couldn't afford in LA. Furthermore, most of my friends in LA have since gotten married and are getting on with their lives. I know that my earlier statement was a gross generalization about people in Delaware and that there are open-minded people in the right places. It's just that all of my personal experiences thus far with the locals have been negative. For example, I used to shoot pool after work at this one place and don't anymore after some drunken ******* demanded that I show him my "green card". I've often found myself trying to squeeze into circles that I would never associate with if I wasn't so lonely. I have seriously begun to believe that I'll never have friends again, nor will I ever meet someone. I used to love fridays, but I now hate them because my weekends are spent in unwanted solitude with the blinds drawn, terrified of the outside world. Although I tell my parents that everything's ok, they can hear it in my voice that it's not. Although I am college educated, (chemistry degree from UCLA), decent-looking and personable, the xenophobia I have experienced here has caused me to pick my self apart in a way I've never done before. I've lost my confidence in public and constantly feel that people are judging me as "another one of those dark Indian guys". People don't see me as an American here and I get comments like, "Wow! You speak really good english".
I know that I've made a bad decision by moving here and can only hope that things will improve. Thanks for listening.

Hi Lonelguy!

Don't get so down on experiencing the stupidity of some people out there. You can't ever go on with life without experiencing such racism and harshness that you have in the U.S.A, but the comments made to you will only make you stronger.

The one thing I find that gets people like that really worked up is just being witty and taking their comments as a joke. Especially when I am doing it with a big grin on my face. 99% of the time they are so witless and stupid they can't follow up with any retort or comment without them looking like a blabbering fool. I know it sounds lame but it really works well for myself and you sound like a very smart person to be able to handle this with ease.

As far as being lonely goes you mentioned about playing pool. Are there any pool clubs in your neighbourhood? Join one if you want or can. Besides that, I know some of your friends are married but there will still be those get togethers in the future to catch up with each other and have a good time with them again.

Take care and I really hope things get better for you.

DayvanCowboy said:
Hi Lonelguy!

Don't get so down on experiencing the stupidity of some people out there. You can't ever go on with life without experiencing such racism and harshness that you have in the U.S.A, but the comments made to you will only make you stronger.

The one thing I find that gets people like that really worked up is just being witty and taking their comments as a joke. Especially when I am doing it with a big grin on my face. 99% of the time they are so witless and stupid they can't follow up with any retort or comment without them looking like a blabbering fool. I know it sounds lame but it really works well for myself and you sound like a very smart person to be able to handle this with ease.

As far as being lonely goes you mentioned about playing pool. Are there any pool clubs in your neighbourhood? Join one if you want or can. Besides that, I know some of your friends are married but there will still be those get togethers in the future to catch up with each other and have a good time with them again.

Thanks for your comments dayvan. These people aren't making harmless jokes that I can casually respond to. Yes these people are stupid and witless but their insults are meant to provoke me. Any type of response to these type of people, witty or not might lead to a fight where I'd be totally outnumbered. I guess it's apparent that I've been trying to socialize in all the wrong places.

LonelyGuy said:
DayvanCowboy said:
Hi Lonelguy!

Thanks for your comments dayvan. These people aren't making harmless jokes that I can casually respond to. Yes these people are stupid and witless but their insults are meant to provoke me. Any type of response to these type of people, witty or not might lead to a fight where I'd be totally outnumbered. I guess it's apparent that I've been trying to socialize in all the wrong places.

You are very welcome! :) Well it sounds like you just ignore those idiots which I think is a good thing to do. You also look like the better man in that situation if you do that.

It's kinda true about your last sentence. It seems like you are hanging where the roughnecks like to go and get drunk. Hopefully there are more bars and places where more classy people hang out in your area. I can't see someone of your status and intelligence having a hard time meeting new people forever.

Good luck.

I would ask myself what is more important. Great job or Happiness?
I don't know how feasible it is but what about moving to a different location and making a longer commute to work? Maybe a similar job in a bigger city? Just suggestions.

As far as people insulting you, you are a bigger man than me.
I generally don't get upset with people like that. In fact, I would probably laugh in their face.
But if they caught me on the wrong day...

Latest posts

Back