Nasty question

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minus

Unknown member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone know specifically what nice little nasty "instructions.exe" is that they want me to click on?

--
To: [my email]
[my email] account notification

Dear Customer,

This e-mail was send by [my isp removed] to notify you that we have temporanly prevented access to your account.

We have reasons to beleive that your account may have been accessed by someone else.

Please click on the following link (or copy & paste it into your web browser):

http://[domain name removed]/instructions.exe

(C) [my isp removed]

My favourite part of that spoof email is that they don't know how to spell "believe"

The link will be to a phishing website.

Steel said:
My favourite part of that spoof email is that they don't know how to spell "believe"

The link will be to a phishing website.

Also amusing is that it was sent from me at isp_name.support

Why this instructions.exe is on a server in poland while my isp is local is also a puzzle.

Why leonabd47 at rock partners.com is the reply too and return address is also a puzzle.

The fact that they used Advanced Mass Sender 4.3 disguised in X-Mailer as The Bat! mail program is also puzzling. My isp has always used outlook and i don't see why they would need a mass mailer to inform me that someone was playing with my mail account.

I suspect something may not be quite right with this mail.

Phishing is annoying enough, but to go directly to an exe file makes me wonder if they want to plant something on the PC or it it is just there so that i can enter my information more easily so that they can solve this problem that they warned me about.

Thank you Steel :)

Lmao@polish server.

Oh, and let's not forget that your isp has apparently disabled your service and yet still expects you to be able to pick up email and follow links :)

Steel said:
Oh, and let's not forget that your isp has apparently disabled your service and yet still expects you to be able to pick up email and follow links :)

f_minusm_906c16a.gif

I never thought of that. 'We are sending you this mail to tell you that you have no access to your mail.'

XD lol they really will try anything, won't they?

The sad thing is that probably 60% or more of computer users would just click the link without even thinking about it. -_- lulz

Considering the number of dumb things my isp has done with my email, i did come close to doing that. Fortunately i paused to look at the mail first.

Good thing because now Kaspersky Lab has had time to check that exe and came up with...

instructions.exe - Trojan.Win32.FraudPack.aprd

Oh I usually copy paste questionable links instead of clicking them directly, is this bad? >_>

I got the instructions.exe one in an email that appeared to be from my BANK. Of course I looked at the link it wanted me to click...then looked at the delete button...then looked back at the link....then the delete button....lol the delete button won. :p

Lurker.In.The.Night said:
Oh I usually copy paste questionable links instead of clicking them directly, is this bad? >_>

If i understand what you are doing then you are going to the same place anyway. The only way it would make a difference is if the text version said one thing but the embedded link was different.

Minus said:
Lurker.In.The.Night said:

If i understand what you are doing then you are going to the same place anyway. The only way it would make a difference is if the text version said one thing but the embedded link was different.

Yes I guess that's what I'm trying to prevent.

but if I go to a site by someone that I dont completely trust will it do any harm to my computer?

Haha there are so many variables to that question that it's impossible to answer it, Lurker. :p

Just...stay away from questionable sites or websites that have a lot of popup ads, ok? And don't just click any link you get in emails....and you should be fine. :)

Yeah, just because you don't trust it doesn't mean that it will do anything, but it could. For example the link from the email on the first post, if clicked or in this case even copied and pasted, would have brought me to a site that would have tried to install a trojan on my PC.

Minus said:
Yeah, just because you don't trust it doesn't mean that it will do anything, but it could. For example the link from the email on the first post, if clicked or in this case even copied and pasted, would have brought me to a site that would have tried to install a trojan on my PC.

Oh, then in that case I wont do that anymore :p

Latest posts

Back