New Face, Old Story (maybe)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneLove382

Reaction score

Hello all. I guess that I'm the new kid on the block. After browsing through some of the threads on this forum, I'm hopeful that this will be a place where I can share support and advice with some like-minded people.

While I've always felt my situation to be quite unique, perhaps it isn't so different from things that other people have experienced. To make a long story short, I'm a fairly social person who makes friends easily and generally enjoys the company of others - but I can't fall in love. Or rather, I can't fall out of love with one specific person no matter what it seems to cost me. While I have wonderful friends and a supportive, loving family, I feel as though I'm not able to fully reciprocate these relationships in ways that these people deserve - there is always a part of me that can't seem to participate 100% in them. Subsequently I've come to feel very alone, even when I'm surrounded by wonderful people who should be enough to make me feel happy and complete.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and becoming an active and productive member of this forum!

Hello OneLove, hmmm, sound like an interesting, if possibly sad story.

Well there are lots of nice folk here so welcome, and I hope things work out for you in the future.

Hey there, welcome to the forum.

OneLove382 said:

I can't fall in love. Or rather, I can't fall out of love with one specific person no matter what it seems to cost me.

Hmm, kinda contradicting? What do you mean, though?

ladyforsaken said:
Hey there, welcome to the forum.

OneLove382 said:

I can't fall in love. Or rather, I can't fall out of love with one specific person no matter what it seems to cost me.

Hmm, kinda contradicting? What do you mean, though?

Wow, that does sound confusing, doesn't it? I guess it makes sense, since it's a confusing situation.

What I mean is that I have only ever been in love with one person - and it's only because of this person that I know that this is even possible for me. All those love songs and cliche descriptions of love are something that I could never identify or connect with. I've never had the experience of feeling these things for anyone - save one particular individual. I don't think I'm capable of loving anyone else, and often feel like this person is a 'fluke' or an 'accident' in my life.

Well I don't know about you. But I thought the same way you do back then. But I realise that intimate love may come differently with different people. I do think it's possible and capable for you to be in love with someone else. Someday, maybe. Wish you all the best though.

I can relate to you. I've only truly loved one person and she left a long, long time ago. I spent the next 6 years wallowing in depression and ignoring everything and everyone else in my life. I couldn't feel much of anything except for the pain of the break-up. In the end, I had to find some way to 'let go' and move on.

Even after all this time, I'd love nothing more than to be back with her, but I accept that in all likelihood I will never see her again. I can't imagine ever loving anyone else the way I loved her, but I refuse to give up and see my entire future slip away.

I hope you find what you're looking for here - even if it's just knowing that there are others here who understand.

Cavey said:
I can't imagine ever loving anyone else the way I loved her, but I refuse to give up and see my entire future slip away.

For some reason, this just sounds so inspirational to me right now. Good luck, Cavey.

ladyforsaken said:
Cavey said:
I can't imagine ever loving anyone else the way I loved her, but I refuse to give up and see my entire future slip away.

For some reason, this just sounds so inspirational to me right now. Good luck, Cavey.

Thanks, Lady. If my words inspire anyone here then it is worth me baring my soul.

Latest posts

Back