New guy :) (25, UK)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwirp

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'll try to make this brief but meaningful, so bare with me.

(Before you continue reading, I am not trying to big myself up or inflate my ego at all. The below is just the way I view things from my own perspective)

I'm 25, from the UK.

I don't have any friends, I don't know really why I have an iPhone. I never get any messages or calls, a charge can last a very long time because nothing ever happens on it. I have absolutely no idea how I've ended up in this situation, but for the past couple of years I just haven't had any friends at all.

I'm a Paramedic, I consider myself to be quite good looking, and I think I'm fairly normal otherwise? When I'm not working, I spend all day every day laying in bed doing nothing. YouTube is my best friend, I spend basically all day on it as it gives me some sense of company and stops me from thinking too much about how lonely I am.

I don't have a problem talking to people, after all it is my job... I work alone (a rapid response unit), so even when working I am alone. The only people I speak to are patients, but those interactions are obviously forced and have no real significance to me as a person.

I deactivated Facebook a few years ago as it made me sad because nobody ever spoke to me on it. A couple of months ago I reactivated it, hoping to maybe reach out to some friends from school (only 2 or 3) to try and build up a set of friends. It bombed of course, and nobody was really interested. Some just didn't reply, and others did reply but were very flakey and every time I tried to make plans, there would be some excuse as to why they couldn't go. But every time they cancelled, they'd never try to rearrange it. They would just cancel and then stop talking. So I gave up on that idea.

I have often considered using Tinder to meet someone... but I think a girlfriend is not what I need. I want friends, people I actually care about and people who WANT to hang out with me! I tried to make friends with some people at work, but after a few attempts with different people, it was clear that everybody has their own lives already, and they aren't interested in speaking outside of work time.

I tried a couple of things I thought young people might be easy to meet at, like kickboxing and going to the gym, but honestly kickboxing was basically full of weirdos who were a lot older than me (I'm not saying older people are automatically weirdos, but trust me these ones were!) or people who came as couples and only spoke to each other. And the gym of course everybody has their earphones in or headphones, and any attempt at speaking to someone is usually misconstrued as hitting on them. Plus most of the people in the gym I attend are clearly very content with their social life, constantly texting people and speaking on the phone, and pretty much 90% of them are there with friends.

I'm going to end it there for fear of making this post too long, but I'm here basically to vent and explain my story. I live in quite a small town, so it's difficult anyway to meet people. So maybe this site will provide some sense of social interaction for now. There is a lot more to my story but I don't want to just blurt out thousands of paragraphs.

Not at all I'm afraid, I prefer to be actively entertained by something.

I play games and watch movies and videos, that's the extent of what I do for fun at home

Hi. You say you play games, what sort of games? If you mean video games I'm big on those too and usually spend most of my free time doing that. If you want to send me a message and talk about some games (or anything you like really) feel free.

Welcome to the forum!

Vey nice intro, I must say i've had similar results with kickboxing and the gym, it's probably the biggest problem in meeting new people tht is finding someone else who wants to meet new people, in my experience people get closed of as they "settle" into their social circles in their late teens and early 20's. Once they settle they simply aren't interrested in making new friends, things change later in life again and they are more open then.

Hope you find what your looking for, see you around!

Hi, 
I'm in a similar situation, i work in a care home and find that shift work makes things so much more difficult!!

Welcome :)
Also, to those mentioning kickboxing - it's a fun activity imo, even if I ain't currently at it :/

Latest posts

Back