New year's eve alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 2012 I made the effort to head out into the city and watch the Sydney fireworks. In theory it was going to be the kickstart for me getting out more and improving my social life.

Might sound strange but being around all those people and in particular the couples actually made me feel lonelier than what I normally do.

Thiis year hasn't been a great one for me and I really didn't even contemplate going out.

So tonight I am just sitting at home in front of the computer and have watched the 9pm New Years Eve fireworks on tv as well as watching the tennis and listening to music.

Well I started another thread earlier, hoping I might get together with some like-minded individuals in London for NYE, but obviously that's not going to happen now. So it was either going to be another depressing stroll around the empty back streets of London by myself, or in this instance, a few benzos to keep me knocked out while everyone else enjoys themselves. I really ******* hate this more than anything. I'm such a greedy person to assume I deserve happiness. There are so many people out there tonight who are homeless, dying from incurable diseases and some are even starving to death, yet all of them continue to fight for survival with the hope that it might one day be better for them.

I don't deserve to live in this world; if I had the motivation or the confidence, I could go out and talk to 1000 girls that I like the look of and I'm sure at least one of them would give me a chance, but I'm too stubborn, too self-conscious (or vain), too selfish and ultimately far too pessimistic as well. I really don't know what to do any more. This is another sad and lonely night for me as I know it is for many of you too. What's interesting is that despite my high dose of antidepressants (combination of venlafaxine and bupropion), I actually feel that physical discomfort of loneliness at the tip of my stomach. That's the first time I've had it since before my treatment several years ago. That definitely can't be a good sign.

"HAPPY" New Year to all the rest of you. I truly sympathise with all of you.

OnlyMe said:
Might sound strange but being around all those people and in particular the couples actually made me feel lonelier than what I normally do.

Nail hit on head there. I feel exactly the same in those situations.

This year I'm by myself (apart from dog-sitting a Jack Russell) watching TV, and, avoiding alcohol. Dry start to 2014 :)

It isn't so bad, i presume that most of us already spent Xmas alone, so whats makes tonight any different? I would wish you all happy new year but it's not happy, it's the same as last year except colder.

Been asleep since 8pm, just woke up, dunno why though, wish I hadn't.

I just spent it alone for the first time, it really hurt more than I expected. I tried to treat it like just another night...but it didn't help.

it's over! it's over! rejoice :) it truly is just like any other night
and enjoy your breakfast :)

Zen said:
I'm such a greedy person to assume I deserve happiness. There are so many people out there tonight who are homeless, dying from incurable diseases and some are even starving to death, yet all of them continue to fight for survival with the hope that it might one day be better for them.

"HAPPY" New Year to all the rest of you. I truly sympathise with all of you.

I don't think it's greedy of anyone to think that they deserve happiness. Everyone does, from all walks of life. It just happens so that in life, there is no fairness, there are some who are just not as lucky as we are. So in realising that, we can learn to count our blessings and be glad that we are in a better place than a lot of other people, and try to make the best of it (where the other people can't).

Also, I don't want to be sympathised for spending new year's alone. If anything, I'm glad that I spent it alone and quiet in my own room. It's just like any other day. I know it's nice to celebrate something new, but that doesn't mean it has to be. You make it what you want it to be. There was no difference last night to any other night, nobody asked me to go places, my friends went for NYE dinner and I wasn't invited but who cares? This is my life.. I don't need to celebrate new year's just because everyone else is, and yes I feel lonely that I'm not with the people I want to be, but oh well, you get by doing other things ... it's not the end of the world.

There will be many other lonely nights where other people are out celebrating something. It's really no different at all.

Peaches said:
it's over! it's over! rejoice :) it truly is just like any other night
and enjoy your breakfast :)

Totally agree - just like any other night.

Drama said:
I really dont care about the new year. It only gives me the opportunity to reflect on the past year while enjoying a cup of tea and hoping the new year will be better.
I usually stay at home with my family for the new year, and that once time when I tried 'to enjoy it outside' was so annoying to me. So this year I'm staying home with a cup of tea to drinkand many memories to swallow!

If only I could be more like you. You seem to have a good attitude about a lot of things.

Batman55 said:
Drama said:
I really dont care about the new year. It only gives me the opportunity to reflect on the past year while enjoying a cup of tea and hoping the new year will be better.
I usually stay at home with my family for the new year, and that once time when I tried 'to enjoy it outside' was so annoying to me. So this year I'm staying home with a cup of tea to drinkand many memories to swallow!

If only I could be more like you. You seem to have a good attitude about a lot of things.

Drama is always awesome. <3

Jovi88 said:
Every year new year's eve always makes me sad. Everyone with someone and i'm by myself. It's so depressing, feel like don't wanna wake up anymore.

Just wonted to say I spent it alone too.

In fact I had quite a surreal night. I danced around my home with my headphones on to music lintel I felt tied. Normally I would feel very depressed on my own new years eve. But last night I just felt so-so.

Keep yer chin up :p

I spent my first new year completely alone, and hated it.

Bluey said:
Still alone and feeling rejected by the world. I guess I am alive.
Hope your doing good :Y

:( sorry you're feeling that way, Bluey. *hugs*

Scootch said:
I spent my first new year completely alone, and hated it.

*hugs*

Yeah I pretty much didn't do anything on New Years, it really bummed me out. =(

Latest posts

Back