Not even getting along with family

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyS13

Reaction score
Well, I don't have friends and never really had a legitimate friendship. I even have problems with getting along with family. I don't agree with most things they say because my family's predominately Republican, and I'm not.

Because the state I live in (Arizona) is full of Republicans, I can't seem to find others I can relate to that have similar beliefs. Maybe it's because having unique beliefs is a bad thing, as no one will agree with you.

That sucks. My family doesn't get along well either. Is politics the main reason your relationship with your family is strained or is there more? I've heard of politics being a huge wedge in families before, never experienced it myself cause my family (thankfully) are not big on politics.

I don't know how old you are or anything, but maybe you could eventually move elsewhere to study or work, where you might meet people whose views are more similar to your own.

Some people find themselves in circumstances that nobody on the planet will ever understand, and it's almost impossible to get through to people, so you just get ostracized, and mocked. I want to jump ship from my parents eventually but first I have to get on my feet.

I forgot what having friends was like, 6 years ago I at least had some aquaintances and one long time friend. I even had people online I talked to. But after I left high school I kind of went into obscurity. Not that I was well known about in the first place. But eventually I started picking myself up more and more but now I just don't exist at all. It doesn't really matter where I go. For the last 6 years the only people I have been in contact with on a regular basis/socializing with is family and at times we have lots of disagreements.

I think I may just eventually pay people to be my friends, and hire a girl to be my girlfriend for minimum wage. How else can I do it if I am ostracized, ignored, and totally locked into a cell of silence and nothingness.

You will be ostracized by your opposite gender but especially people in general for being quiet, honest, and straight forward, and not wanting to deal with drama! awful isn't it?

Tiina63 said:
I don't know how old you are or anything, but maybe you could eventually move elsewhere to study or work, where you might meet people whose views are more similar to your own.

I'm only 18 :(

anthonyS13 said:
Because the state I live in (Arizona) is full of Republicans, I can't seem to find others I can relate to that have similar beliefs. Maybe it's because having unique beliefs is a bad thing, as no one will agree with you.

Being unique can be a good thing! I mean who wants to be the same as everyone else? It takes a lot of courage, self-belief and inner strength to stand up for what you believe in. Not that I'm very good at that!

I do think I myself have taken a quite unusual path through life though; I'm still trying to make sense of how that has affected me and how I can use that experience to 'make a difference'.

People who have different beliefs can be ground-breaking pioneers.
Maybe this is you?

When I was a young person I also didn't agree with my family politically and I didn't have the skills to deal with it. I was just too young. I felt ostracized even though I wasn't...I just saw things differently. What we need to learn to do with politics is learn to listen to each other, respect our differences and just tolerate. A person's politics does not define the whole person, it's just a part. They can be Republican and very steller in other aspects of their lives.

It's hard now but give it and yourself time. When with them try to keep the focus on peace and harmony over everything else. If they still choose (or you) to bring up inflammatory comments just detach. Be the example. Appreciate your family for the good they do have.

i vehemently agree with Yogi. it shouldn't just be politics. politics don't have to ruin a relationship with someone, at least they shouldn't tell the whole story. "We are not as different as our politics may suggest". I believe that.

regardless of your affiliation, they are still your family. there must be something you could potentially bond over. and i'm sure not EVERYONE in arizona is a republican, or at least not a closed minded one. do you have anything you enjoy doing? find others that like it too. you're getting older, hang in there. opportunities should spring up more and more in time.

I don't get along with my family, either.

Well, considering they're racist, bigoted, and a bunch of other things I won't name, I probably am lucky that they choose to ignore me most of the time.

It's common to not get along with family. Don't think you're alone in this.

Latest posts

Back