One of my biggest fears....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremi

Reaction score
.... Is shopping! Yes, shopping for clothes. I haven't bought any clothes for like three years, if you don't count socks. I've survived on cristmas gifts and birthday presents so far. It really sucks to shop for clothes alone, when you don't have any taste whatsoever, and I feel a little too old to bring my mom ^^

There's just something that scares me about clothes stores. You walk in there with absolutely no idea what to look for, every employee stares at you like "oh boy, this guy have no idea what he's doing" and the whole place is just full of stuff and I have no idea what's good and bad. Yeah I know, what's the worst thing that could happend? You buy an ugly shirt and people will say "what an ugly shirt"

I know it may sound funny, but I've tried. I walk in and I panic. I casually try to look at some shirts, like I'm thinking of buying them, before I rush out with my tail between my leg.

I got this nice gift certificate from my work last cristmas, and I've bougt some socks so far. I could get a couple of jeans for the rest, and I could really use some. Just have to bring up some courage to do it.... ><

Anyone else have a problem like this?

hmmm i have the opposite problem i would like to go in there too much lol but maybe u could try shopping online and then you can get someone elses opinion on things if you like before you buy,anyone who you trust can choose clothes lol most get free delivery too and u dont even have to step foot in a store :) you can take as long as u need to make decisions then lol :D

I know where your coming from Jeremi, It is like when your browsing the store looking for a peer of jeans or a shirt ppl are looking at you thinking Look at that loner lol well its probably all in our imagination. I mean when we go with other ppl we dont really look at the ppl that work there but just at the clothes we look at and talk to who ever where with. I do sometimes go with my mum but ye I to am to old for that really. But ye Tis a bit embarrassing. Specially if ye need some new undies lol. I have sometimes gone clothes shopping with a cousin and end up getting way moor cooler stuff as I do it all to fast when am with me mum are on my own. I do think its one of them things that is best done with a friend or GF.

And lol Gem, It different for girls :p

I haven't been clothes shopping for a long time...occasionally I buy stuff online but I often tell my brothers and their wives/girlfriends to get me things for birthday and Christmas...they know what is what and they also manage to pick stuff that suits me.

The last time I went shopping I did buy some combat trousers and was really proud of that 'cause I love them.

As a kid I used to wear 'hand-me-downs' from my brothers so I guess that is why I worry...but having said that I really don't care what people think of the way I dress. I work in a suit all day so when I am out of work I just wear 3/4 cut off tracksuit bottoms and t shirts...unless I get to go out of course lol.

Yes my wardrobe is mainly full of t-shirts lol.

Although I am a woman, I have more of a male approach to shopping.lol.
I hate prolonged hours of shopping. It bores me to death.
If you hate me, then drag me along from store to store, checking out 100 skirts, 60 pants and 80 shirts. Next time I won't meet up with you. lol.
Shopping is a bit more bearable in the States, Great Britain, Italy, Spain and some other mediterrenean countries cause the sizes in those countries fit me perfectly. In Germany or neighbouring countries however, most of the clothing are made for women who are 5'8 or taller. I am 5'6' and I feel like a midget when I try out clothes in those countries. The pants are made for giraffes and the jackets are cut for women who have shoulders like a rugby player. lol.

hahaha funny honeysuckle there closetgeek...

but guys...come on. a lot of times, the first step to having confidence with women is knowing you look good. how will you know look good if you don't shop with the intent of getting fly threads?

bottom line is, you don't have to enjoy shopping. in fact, very often, I don't. (Whether this is because I'm usually broke, I'm not sure). But you do have to shop with a serious objective in mind: get fresh.

My biggest fears are actually girls...especially beautiful ones. But I do have the same problem since almost every employee in a clothing store is a girl. And...*sigh* I do get laughed at by the employees sometimes for my "bad" taste.

I can't remember the last time I shop alone. I always go with my mom.

Jeremi said:
Anyone else have a problem like this?

Yes i hate clothes shopping. It makes me really uncomfortable and i put it off as long as i can. It doesn't even seem to have anything to do getting an ugly shirt and even less to do with trying to be stylish. It is just an uncomfortable thing for me.

Another one of my biggest fears is never being able to share the world with someone for the rest of my life.

davechaos said:
Another one of my biggest fears is never being able to share the world with someone for the rest of my life.
i have the same fear.

my biggest fear though is the idea of ddieing nd becoming no existent if you get what im getting at

I am decent at picking out dress clothes that suit me well, only I never have the opportunity to wear them. I'm not so skilled at picking out casual clothes, but again, I rarely have the need for them. I guess you can say I am fortunate to wear scrubs to work everday.

ClosetGeek said:
Shopping is a bit more bearable in the States, Great Britain, Italy, Spain and some other mediterrenean countries cause the sizes in those countries fit me perfectly. In Germany or neighbouring countries however, most of the clothing are made for women who are 5'8 or taller.

****, I need to go to Germany to get clothes then! At a little over 5'9", I'd "fit" right in, lol! Not much here you can get "off the rack" for tall women. I often find myself ordering jeans on line, just so they fit in length. Being tall is a bummer sometimes. :(

EveWasFramed said:
ClosetGeek said:
Shopping is a bit more bearable in the States, Great Britain, Italy, Spain and some other mediterrenean countries cause the sizes in those countries fit me perfectly. In Germany or neighbouring countries however, most of the clothing are made for women who are 5'8 or taller.

****, I need to go to Germany to get clothes then! At a little over 5'9", I'd "fit" right in, lol! Not much here you can get "off the rack" for tall women. I often find myself ordering jeans on line, just so they fit in length. Being tall is a bummer sometimes. :(

lol I have the opposite problem at 5,4 I struggle to fined jeans small enough. most shops where I live don't make them that small in the adult section. The problem is when I look in the child section which you would think would be better as there cheaper but there not jeans that I would wont. most are flurry or have a skater boy thing on the leg or something. So ye most of the time I order mine on line as well. plus that way I get a free T-shirt as well :D

Well, I'm just 5 feet tall, if you can call it 'tall' :p Whatever jeans or pants I purchase they always need to be shortened. And finding shoes my size that I would like as well is a pain in the ass as my foot is child-sized.

Heh, shopping is the easiest thing in the world for me. Mostly because I fit the description of every "metalhead" stereotype on the planet. My wardrobe is pretty simple.

- Interior clothes
- 5 collared shirts for work environments
- 2 formal outfits for interviews/special occasions (one for hot weather, one for cold)
- few pairs of jeans, some blue, some black.
- 30 something heavy metal shirts I buy at concerts.
- That awkward sweater a family member who doesn't know you sends you that you'd never wear in a million years but you'd feel bad throwing out.

Not sure how you dress, but it can't be that hard to look decent or presentable. I rarely do, but I know how to do it for the most part.

Just stay away from stuff that makes you look like the nerds in sitcoms and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back