Over-protective parents?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Caesium

Does anyone else here feel that their parents have been too protective of them? And has it affected your ability to communicate effectively and confidently with other people? In my case, my parents have been pretty strict about me going outside, and as such, I've missed out on many many parties. Although that could be a good thing, when I see what dreadful shenanigans they get up to when they post the pictures on Facebook o_O

Am looking forward to hearing your stories.

Yea my parents were over protective and manipulative.

My brother hates it and pretty much does anything he wants at will, my parents thinks he's an outlaw, a rebel, and they argue whenever they have the chance, my brother speaks his mind, he's honest, he's just a bit rough, he turned out to be an extrovert and very outgoing, even my mother hates him and never sees him the way I see him, she thinks he's a bad person, she thinks he'd the type to cause troubles at school, join a gang or get a girl pregnant, which my brother would NEVER do, and he never did, so my brother became outgoing and he was never home, because he hates to be home.

Me on the other hand, was the puppet, spoiled rotten and turned out to be an introvert because I can't stand any more argues in the household, I never speak my mind, don't have any backbone, I'm spoiled, I'm dishonest, I never discuss anything with anyone, unreliable, pretty much the opposite of my brother.

i lived with my mother until i was 13 and she was extremely protective over me, i was never allowed over my friends houses, never allowed to go to any kiddies parties, never allowed to play with the kids that lived near by. She would also kick up a huge fuss whenever i went to see my Dad (my parents broke up when i was 6) or any other member of my family. I have no brothers or sisters, so my childhood was spent alone with my dog since my mother was often away with one of her many boyfriends.

Once i was 13 i had enough and moved out and lived with my grandparents, i couldn't stand her obsessive nature to protect me from everything, what i really needed protecting from was her. I haven't seen her since and nor do i want to.

My grandparents were a lot more lax and i could do what i wanted provided i did my school work, however i was so used to being on my own and had few friends i prefered staying in my room, never went out drinking like everyone else until i was 19/20. i found solace in books, music and computer games. Guess i haven't really chaged that much in terms of what i do to pass the time.

yeh dude but they found out that they cant stop me being an ultra extrovert n hence they quit the idea of being over protective.

My stepmom was incredibly overprotective of her kids.

Her two daughters rebelled against that and are turning out to be pretty healthy and normal; able to communicate with others, have friends, exist on their own etc.

Her son, on the other hand, lives on his own now but is still incredibly hooked on mommy. He still wishes he could be at home forever, 'just him and his family', chooses to have no social life or any friends at work or school ("Why would I need friends? I have you guys") and agrees with almost anything and everything his mom says.

He nursed till he was 6 years old, apparently. It's like he's *still* nursing.

Latest posts

Back