Parents have the craziest ideas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzephillda

Reaction score
For the past few weeks, my parents have been getting the craziest ideas concerning me, their only daughter. I've failed some courses at my University (nothing unusual, right?), but they were so shocked, they have since come up with a billion Sci-Fi-worthy explanations, disregarding what I told them (that I tried my best and I will work even harder next time).

They're convinced that I'm either hanging out with the wrong crowd (I had to lol at that, I'm as friendless as it gets), or had some abortions (their use of plural here, not mine), or doing drugs (3 blood tests so far, cause the first was "fake", so was the second and I'm not sure number 3 has convinced them either).

Has anyone been in this situation, with their family suspecting this sort of things? What did you guys do? Or what do you suggest I do in this situation? I'm getting sick of being hauled out of my bed in the morning, for impromptu medical exams. It used to amuse me at first, but now it's ridiculous.

Nope never experienced that myself, but **** your parents are nuts. Seems like they are looking for other deeper excuses than just what is there.

*takes a moment to giggle at your name, Sci-Fi* (hint: something I wrote in my post)

Yeah, I know they're crazy. I've lived with them all my life and they can still surprise me.

It sounds as if your parents had a mental image of you that is at odds with reality. They saw you as someone perfect who never fails at anything. And now that you have shown that you are as human as everyone else by not succeeding at everything, they can't handle it and have to look for some imaginary 'reason.' Try not to let them get to you too much. Thie rreaction is way over the top.

When I was in high school I did hang with the wrong crowd and I did drugs and my parents didn't care they were just glad I was out of the house.

My Family consists of my Mum and Brother. They'd not be too concerned if I did any of what you said in your post lol.

My mom says my problem is that I'm a bad child because I quit going to church and that going to church will solve all my problems.
She doesn't have an answer though for the many years I did go to church and how things were worse back then.
HA HA HA!

Luckily my brother got married and had kids. That got her to stop complaining about having no grandkids.

Maybe you should do some drugs so they can send you to rehab and you can make friends there? lol

Sounds like you're parents just project a lot and see you as a reflection of them selves. It's not that you failed a few courses. It's the thinking that it's their fault you failed those courses. Then the denial leads them to irrational conclusions, such as what you've stated.

Although, personally, if I were a parent. I'd be happy to know my children were experimenting with different drugs. So long as they were being responsible about it and didn't over do it. It can be helpful and lead to a fuller life to experience different states of consciousness.

Anyway, good luck with that. Most of the people I encounter in life are absolutely bat honeysuckle insane, including my parents. What can be done...

Wow that sounds a tough situation! It all sounds a bit disturbing to be honest, I have to say I am sort of impressed with how you seem to have handled it. You seem to have a good grip on reality and pretty down to earth about it all, that sounds like just the sort of thing that could really mess you up.

If you are at Uni you are an adult but no one should have to be subjected to that level of mistrust and monitoring by parents or anyone else. Its difficult, I mean your parents are supposed to be a role model and a basis for support and wisdom but it seems as if you are far more in touch with reality and agreeing to a lot of this stuff just to placate them. I think I'd have snapped by now, I'd be pretty hurt and angry that I'm not trusted so all credit to you.

Do you have to live at home or chose to? When the time comes to move, I would be quite clear of your feelings on this, try to keep in mind that one day you can live your life on your own terms, don't let their emotional hold allow them to dictate your life, I think they need a wake up call.

Good luck anyway and stick around here if you ever need a reality check!

Tiina63 said:
It sounds as if your parents had a mental image of you that is at odds with reality. They saw you as someone perfect who never fails at anything. And now that you have shown that you are as human as everyone else by not succeeding at everything, they can't handle it and have to look for some imaginary 'reason.' Try not to let them get to you too much. Thie rreaction is way over the top.

That seems legit. *ponders your words*

TropicalStarfish said:
Maybe you should do some drugs so they can send you to rehab and you can make friends there? lol

I like my health and sanity and I'd rather keep them. :p

Milly said:
Hold on... your parents made you take blood tests?

Yep, among other things.

Sorry for the late replies, things are crazy around here, I'm not online all that much.

Latest posts

Back