Parties!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Factotum

Reaction score
why do people have parties? whats the purpose? they are so depressing. everyone just hurts each other. i dont understand people who organize parties or travel long distances to attend them.

discuss.

Do you feel that the majority of people who give or attend parties find them to be depressing and hurtful?

In a traditional sense, it's all about commemoration and aspiration for happiness. Not everyone feels a positivity towards celebrating, and people's minds can change as they get older. I've never been to a "party" since I was seven or eight, and I don't care for the parties people my age are having today, I have no social circle of friends to begin with.

I can see how parties would be depressing for someone with an introverted personality, dislikes cheery atmospheres and being surrounded with people, and so on. And I've seen how harmful they can be from a third person perspective, sometimes the damage is irreparable. There are good parties and there are bad ones, it all depends on what a person gets their kicks from. I chose to avoid them altogether, parties aren't my thing.

Wow, you're not wasting time starting new topics, eh?

Still, parties. I guess I'm a bit of an official party pooper / wet blanket due to my personality and drinking habits, so I never really got into the whole spirit of partying. The whole idea of dressing up for parties is even more alien.

Jilted John said:
Party on!

Party on, Wayne! :D

Bread said:
Jilted John said:
Party on!

Party on, Wayne! :D

Party on dudes!

Capture.jpg

What sort of party are you referring to? If it's the massive guest-list parties of people you don't know, I suppose it's just a social event to meet people and share the love of dance and music? I'm not really sure as I've never been to one of those parties.

I like parties with a small group of people that you are well acquainted with. It's fun because you personalize the party events to the group's common liking. This was when I was much younger, but birthday parties with close friends was nice. I love to take a part in someone else's happiness. Holiday parties I usually only had with family friends of my parents, so I always hid away in my room or with the computer. :p

Party on, Garth!

I sometimes enjoy a party, and sometimes not. Usually, I enjoy them the most when I haven't really planned on attending one. Like last night. An acquaintance was celebrating his birthday, and despite getting an invitation, I had my mind set on staying home watching Community, doing some writing and baking. Another friend, however, convinced me to go, and she even came over to my house a few hours before, to make sure that I wouldn't back out at the last minute (I tend to do that). So as a spur of the moment thing, I went, and to my surprise I had a great time. There were some nice people there, great music, crazy dancing and singing (I have no voice today), and my friend never left my side (as promised, since I was worried about not having anyone to talk to).

Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I guess it depends on the people attending; some people cause trouble, arguments and misery, but a party can be a delight with the right individuals. I prefer parties that aren't too huge; this one was perfect for me (about 15-20 guests). I will gladly do it again. :)

I don't attend them, basically, although occasionally I have to and I appreciate them for what they are. For the most part, my solitude is bliss.

Myself, I've attended a few parties, but a room full of drunk and high people can lead to problems. I'm not saying that everyone starts trouble intentionally, it's just because they are under the influence. I used to have to keep an eye on my beer, because parties where I used to live were notorious for liquor theft. You'd be surprised at how many people steal alcohol at these things. Also, if you are a smoker, keep your cigarettes and lighter on your person, or you will lose them.

Factotum said:
why do people have parties? whats the purpose? they are so depressing. everyone just hurts each other. i dont understand people who organize parties or travel long distances to attend them.

discuss.

everyone hurts each other? What kind of parties have you been to? sounds to me like ghetto parties, which are the bad ones.

I went to a halloween party a few weeks ago, everyone there was really cool and I had a great time, mostly due to the fact that I drank enough vodka to kill a small elephant XD

Don't love or hate parties, somewhere in between.

I't all depends on the people you are with. If you get along with them, most likely it won't suck.

I've had good/bad experiences. Usually the good ones, I was with a group of friends and in the bad ones I was with very few friends or alone.

I don't get people who drink til they puke... It feels bad (I've done it just once), and people who get drunk... It's embarasing... I like drinking and getting a bit tipsy, not too much.

Yes introversion gets in the way of the fun. I usually get overwhelmed if the place is too crowded. And I have problems in talking to people I haven't met previously. That kind of ruins a part of the fun, but I still enjoy it, even partially. Is better than being home alone watching a movie at least...

its the small parties that i hate the most.

i mean the office parties. most of the people in the office are the ones you HAVE to like. you dont have a choice.

you feel like telling some people - BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS! BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS! BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS! to quote george carlin.

Factotum said:
its the small parties that i hate the most.

i mean the office parties. most of the people in the office are the ones you HAVE to like. you dont have a choice.

you feel like telling some people - BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS! BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS! BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS! to quote george carlin.

Well, its an opportunity to get to know people and advance your career. Appreciate it ^_^

plus, three piece outfits are cute on some girls. Not that you can do anything, because they work there, but at least there's some eye candy.

Factotum said:
how can i advance my career when i go out to dinner with colleagues?

You get to know the boss, and appear like a likeable, responsible person who will be an asset to the company. More than the other guys. Specifically, someone who will help him advance himself.

If you're a better tool than the other tools, then he'll want to keep you with him.

Felix said:
Yes introversion gets in the way of the fun. I usually get overwhelmed if the place is too crowded. And I have problems in talking to people I haven't met previously. That kind of ruins a part of the fun, but I still enjoy it, even partially. Is better than being home alone watching a movie at least...

This pretty much. In very crowded places I get an unpleasant pressuring sensation when entering but it usually improves over time. And talking to new people is a gentle *****. Parties are mostly so-so, I rarely can say they are great, but they're definitely more enjoyable than sobbing alone at home.

Latest posts

Back