Post!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

As I count it, 12 of the 20 newest members have not posted and told their stories. I urge all of you to do so. Then I might tell my story and all of you will then feel better knowing you don't have it as bad as I do. It is very helpful, I think, to write about your problems, and it is helpful for others to read them, learn from them, and offer advice. It can actually help people get their minds off their own problems. I think a lot of us are constantly worrying about ourselves. I know I am guilty of that.

Hi Guest

I think it's up to the new members whether they want to post there stories or not. Maybe they don't feel comfortable with posting there stories yet, as it can be a very hard thing to do.
Why don't you just register and post your introduction anyway, you might make some new friends,be offered some advise, and be made very welcome.

I agree with Blue Sky. Sometimes, people are ashamed of their story, or think that it isn't tragic enough (or too tragic) and/or people will not care. It takes a lot of courage to tell that sort of thing.
But your encouragement is appreciated :)

You all insist so much on everyone registering, and then you turn around and say people shouldn't be encouraged to post. Well, people certainly should not be pressured to post, but nor should they be pressured to register. I have noticed that there are usually more guests online than members, and the users are usually using PM. Can any of you members give any reply without rabidly insisting that we register so we can enjoy the pie in the sky you claim we can find at the forum? Do you ever just address the matter at hand? I don't think I'll be visiting anymore. If I were to join, it would just be another dashed hope on top of so many others.

Hi Guest,

Please dont' feel bad. People want you to register, just so you can create a familiar screen name. I don't pressure anyone to register or post, it's up to you. This is a place for you to come when you are feeling down and need to talk to someone about it, okay?

Hugs,

LG

LG is right: there are many guests and it is easy to mix them around when you see that "Guest" has posted something. You are not pressured to register: it is your own choice. Whether you find or not what you are looking for at this forum is entirely up to you, but please do not discard the wise words spread around here so easily!

I am one of the new members and I am not ashamed to tell my story. It is not as sad as one might think, yet it really striked me hard. Happens that I was in love with this girl. She was my first true love. We were in a relationship for about a year, when I started feeling neglected. She no longer gave part of her in the relationship, which made me feel constantly sad. I broke up with her. Devastated, I woke up every day hoping for her to react, to reach out for me. She never did. She started fooling around with this other guy, whilst ocassionaly telling me that she needed me. Finally, she decided to stop fooling around, yet she wouldn't commit. She wanted the freedom to do whatever she wants and, as a social butterfly that she is, she had no problems in getting herself busy. I am not like that, which made me feel out of friends and lonely. Happily for me, I realized that my friends had always just been around. I called them and they would want to hang with me. It just happens that, as I was really commited in this relationship, I had ignored many of my friends. All I needed was to reach out!

In particular, I don't think of this as a contest. You wont post a story that will make me feel better. Reading the sadness in other people's life does not make me happy at all. What makes me happy is to see that same people fighting for their own happiness! And one way to fight it is by sharing it and understanding that there ir always a way out. Sometimes harder, sometimes easier to achieve.

How can You say "pressure"? Did You miss the kind words and smilies in those posts or what? We advice guests to regsiter for THEIR sake, to try and create a reason for them to come back. Just coming here to post a few times and then giving up on it like You appear to do is the worst thing we can think of here because then we don't know what happened to that person.

Umm...Guest...Robin is a non-native English speaker. And his English skills are EXCELLENT! I should know because I've taught English for 6 years.

PS In Europe, they spell many words differently. Example: gray = grey, neighbor = neighbour, color=colour, advice=advise...etc.

They often replace our z with an s maybe like sexualise....

:)

Hugs,

LG

LG-

If Robin is a non-native English speaker, then he should be happy to have his English corrected.

I think your contention that advice = advise in Europe is simply an ipse dixit, conveniently tacked on to the other examples.

And about Blue Sky's misuse of the word...?

Sincerely,
A guy who once got seriously screwed over by an English major, and who subconsciously tries to retaliate by correcting the English of people he does not know and will never see.

Guest,
If we are being pedantic then shouldn't you correct your assertion that

"Advice= noun"

and that

"Advise = verb?"

The word "advice" is not the same as the word "noun", it is merely an example of a noun. Only "noun" exactly equals "noun" and only "verb" exactly equals "verb". Quod est demonstratum.

It is petty to correct the errors of others when one is prone to such Logical mistakes of one's own. Please keep to the topic of the thread.

Guest,

Thanks for the laugh..your last post made me smile. I've never studied Latin, but I would love to someday. Please teach me more! And, though I do teach English, my grammar is far from perfect. English is a difficult language to master.

LG

Furiously Google searching Latin terms so I can be as clever as you...

Guest, do you think that In Vino Veritas?

Well, that was quite the non sequitur...

;-)

Guest,
I don't feel that your motives here are exactly pure. If your attempts in your original email were meant to give others hope that things could be worse than their own situation, you've failed miserably with your display of continual negativity. Post or don't post, but if you aren't here to either make nice connections with others, I wish you the best in what you do want out of life, but am not sure you're really ready for the positive atmosphere that we are trying to create.

Michael in glasgow-

I had hoped that the way I ended my post would let people know I was being rather light-hearted! As for staying on topic, I think that using, or at least trying to use, good grammar and diction presents a good impression, especially since the only way people communicate here is by writing. I am not trying to be pedantic.
(But if I were, I would point out that I used the equal sign in a constructio ad sensum [or if you like Greek, per sunesin], everyone knew what I meant, and that was the point. Also, the question mark you used should be outside the quotation marks.)

LG-

I'm glad I made someone smile! I recently earned a BA in Classical Languages, and in fact I plan to be a Latin teacher after I go through teacher certification. My grammar is not perfect either, in any language! I don't always have easy access to a computer, but if you are serious about learning more Latin, I would be glad to help. All this has been so much fun that I am tempted to register!

P.S. I do believe in vino veritas - that's one reason I don't drink!!

Have a great day everyone

Guest,

I think it's great that you're going into education. I'm entering my second decade of teaching, and love it! I stick to the middle school level students, but teach them algebra I and II (top kids). I'm quite sure they'll love your sense of dry humor! :) Welcome.

As for staying on topic, I think that using, or at least trying to use, good grammar and diction presents a good impression, especially since the only way people communicate here is by writing

I agree but surely, verba ita sunt intelligenda ut res magis valeat quam pereat applies too? It was clear what "advise" meant in both cases

Also, the question mark you used should be outside the quotation marks.)

Touché, guest:) Enjoy your day too.

Guest said:
ADVICE = NOUN
ADVISE = VERB

If the typo of that single letter were the most important part of the post i wrote i must point out that You may not see Yourself as pedantic, but compared to the people who so far posted in this thread, i think You are.

lonelygirl said:
Umm...Guest...Robin is a non-native English speaker.
PS In Europe, they spell many words differently.
Guest said:
If Robin is a non-native English speaker, then he should be happy to have his English corrected.

Not that i find You as a friendly person, which You really, really aren't compared to any other person i've so far talked to within this board, but i really do appreciate when people correct my english. In this case i must have missed that there even is a version of "advice" with and "s" and i don't even think i know anyone who've ever written that word with that letter! It actually looks very odd to me thanks to this... Advise. Anyway, thanks.

Guest said:
I am not trying to be pedantic.
(But if I were, I would point out that I used the equal sign in a constructio ad sensum [or if you like Greek, per sunesin], everyone knew what I meant, and that was the point.)

How can You so precisely explain how You would write something, being a certain way, without being that way? I find new words interesting; they actually do some good sometimes, but language is about communication, not being best at grammar. Your surly reply to my first post show a side of You which obviously isn't very popular and You really does not impress me one bit. Are You here to show people that You're the best at languages or to make friends? You can do both, but You don't seem to want/understand how to do that.

You do seem to fit the teacher-scene however; bossy and perfectionistic, that's what those teachers who nobody like are.

Well, since this thread is already completely off-topic, I'll jump in and say that I'm very impressed with all the people on the site who are not native English speakers. It's very difficult to express your thoughts and opinions in a foreign language, but there have been very few times when I have been unable to understand the meaning of a post due to a language barrier on the part of the writer. Of course, not understanding the reasoning and thought processes that go into some of the posts here is a completely different story... :p

Robin-

I never meant to offend or trouble you or anyone at all. I sincerely apologize if I did. I did not mean to single you out. I realize now that it looks like I did, with my post coming right after yours. I ask that you please not be angry with me, but if you are, I understand. I plan to register at some point, and I hope you will give me another chance. I have read many of your posts and I admire how you are a strong voice of encouragement on this forum.

Take care

Latest posts

Back