Punishing a Doctor-Patient Romance

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maidahl

Reaction score
Some good-lovin' no?

When a Texas internal medicine physician began a consensual romantic relationship with one of his patients, the state medical board meted out a $10,000 fine and 10 hours of ethics education as a punishment for professional misconduct.

The decision sparked the ire of medical blogger Dr. Chris Rangel, who noted that the consensual relationship between two adults resulted in more severe penalties than many medical mistakes that actually hurt patients.

Among the rest of the disciplinary actions there is the case where a feeding tube was inserted in the wrong patient, a failure to perform an adequate eye exam on a patient with eye trauma, and the failure to meet standards of care in a high risk obstetrical patient, and none of the punishments in these cases came anywhere near what the board dishes out for doctor-patient trysts.

A sexual relationship, even a consensual one, between a doctor and their patient is certainly improper. This is not the issue. Rather, the problem is with the bizarre set of priories that the T.M.B. has developed over the last few years in which they have focused more and more on unprofessional conduct violations involving sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll esp. in cases where the harm or potential harm to the public was none or minimal.
Dr. Rangel notes later that if the physician had terminated his professional relationship to the patient, and referred her to another physician before getting involved with her, the conduct wouldn’t have been viewed as unprofessional in the eyes of the board.

But getting involved with former patients is still frowned on by the American Medical Association, which argues that the relative position of the patient within the relationship makes it difficult to give meaningful consent.

Relationships between patients and…physicians may also include considerable trust, intimacy, or emotional dependence. The length of the former relationship, the extent to which the patient has confided personal or private information to the physician, the nature of the patient’s medical problem, and the degree of emotional dependence that the patient has on the physician, all may contribute to the intimacy of the relationship. In addition, the extent of the physician’s general knowledge about the patient (i.e., the patient’s past, the patient’s family situation, and the patient’s current emotional state) is also a factor that may render a sexual or romantic relationship with a former patient unethical.
For an excellent discussion of the ethics of doctor-patient romance, read this post from The Doctor Will See You Now blog.

And to hear more from Dr. Rangel, read the full post, “Why Is the Texas Medical Board Hooked on Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n-roll?”

What do you think? Is a doctor-patient romance a serious infraction or a minor mistake? If the patient is of sound mind and not complaining, should medical regulators care?

The last thing you want is for doctors to indirectly coerce their patients for sex in exchange for better treatment. What's next? Teachers getting in relationships with their students in exchange for that 4.0 and a ticket to a first-rate university? Oh, wait that actually happens a bit too often.

It must be one of my cynical days.

I'm bored. It's cut and paste. I should have cited it.... but that would have taken time.

HI perf. @Callie, I missed ya. Remember me? Darn. I'm so lonely hold me.

maidahl said:
I'm bored. It's cut and paste. I should have cited it.... but that would have taken time.

HI perf. @Callie, I missed ya. Remember me? Darn. I'm so lonely hold me.

Took me two seconds so don't even try that excuse

Oh and hold your **** self

maidahl said:
Why do you hate me? I'm dry?

I love it when people tell me I hate them. I hate to break it to you, but I actually have to give a pretty large **** about a person to hate them. Considering that I don't hate anyone, I sure as fresia am not going to hate someone I don't even know, m'kay?

Now that we got that straight, I don't give a flying rat's ass whether you are dry or otherwise.

NO I hate that. What does that have anything to do with anything about being a lonely poor dear little girl?

Anyways Callie? HOwya been? I wish you missed me as much as I missed you.

maidahl said:
NO I hate that. What does that have anything to do with anything about being a lonely poor dear little girl?

So...to recap.
You are female and I believe you said 20.
Your profile says you are male and 52.
You say you're a poor dear little girl, yet you talk a lot of things poor dear little girls wouldn't talk about
You want to turn this into a different type of forum because you got banned from another.
You post some crap about a cocainewhore and telling people to take drug advice from you. And I still don't know what that "GOOGLE" was all about.
You want to stalk and fresia some guy you don't even know.
Your caps lock button seems to break often, hence all the talking in caps.
And you copy/paste an entire article that is 3 years old because you are bored, yet can't take 2 extra second to copy/paste the link.
And that's just this time around....

As far as how I've been...well, that is, quite frankly, none of your business.

Callie said:
maidahl said:
Why? Are you wet? Let it out.

Why? Are you sexually harassing me?

maidahl said:

I hope not, because in response to another post you made, yes people can get banned on a lonely forum and that is a good way to do it.

I loooove you tropicalstarfish. Yes we should all love each other. You're so ******* cool.

Oh and sorry about being lonely. Lonely lonely lonely sucks. Oh. Yeah. I am super depressed, no one likes me, and I can't see my toes because i have none. Doesn't that suck? I'm not even fat.

perfanoff said:
Troll alert :)

Just because he RickRolled you doesn't mean he's a troll :club:
Just kidding, Trop is an upstanding member of the forum...even when he RickRolls.

I assume you were talking about the one that refuses to answer any of my questions. Hmmmmmm, now why on earth would that be. :rolleyes:

Oh and it's not nice to call people names

Yup, I liked the rickroll :)
You put him well in his place.
In that other forum, there was a late 20s guy from the military who posed as a teenage Korean girl (she was actually from Taiwan), he even won a beauty competition :D
Creepy.

I don't care if there is a consensual relationship. I think it's sad a doctor might meet a nice woman and not be able to find his mate because of this law. I think mistakes in medicine are a problem but dating your patient? It wouldn't bother me.

Latest posts

Back