Total Unraveling

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you find that Philosophy has no practical application in and of itself, it can still strengthen your analytical skills and that is invaluable to my mind. Plus, you could also try political philosophy which certainly does have real world applications.

In times of personal growth, beware of what you consume. Just as you are what you eat, you are (become) what you read, hear, see, and do.

ardour said:
You've chosen the safety of things over people. That's valid but it won't be enough for everyone.

That's why I will never try to convince anyone to follow in my footsteps...and I don't think I ever did so far. I'm not trying to promote my mindset. The advice I've given to people around here is built on maintaining a realistic outlook on life, drawing the right conclusions for yourself and to consistently push forwards cause that's the responsibility everyone has for themselves.

Rodent said:
Yeah, obviously. I can't embrace a no-attachments mindset the way you have though.

Resentment and aggrieved disappointed can be lessened and dealt without completely rejecting relationships. Religion would help, but I'm not religious and don't want to use it for that purpose. The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius addresses it in a practical manner - realizing it's how you react to circumstances that defines you, not what you have or don't have (Skafish maybe you would be interested).

And as I said, I won't suggest it to you.

Since I'm neither religious nor spiritual (at least not in a serious manner) that wouldn't suit me either. But defining yourself through your reactions to the circumstances is an idea I've embraced long ago. Without sounding pretentious, it's strange to hear about some of the philosophies of different centuries and then realizing there are lots of concepts in there you have discovered for yourself already. There's a neverending supply of alternatives on how to deal with with life and you just choose the one that keeps you alive the best. In the end, everything is just a coping mechanism to keep you from going postal.

Paraiyar said:
Even if you find that Philosophy has no practical application in and of itself, it can still strengthen your analytical skills and that is invaluable to my mind. Plus, you could also try political philosophy which certainly does have real world applications.

That's why I've tried to politically educate myself for the past years through consumption of political cabaret, a wonderful German tradition. The more entertaining way in comparison to reading textbooks, but equally potent in explaining how the world works and exposing its flaws.

Rodent said:
Thanks, SkaFish. Since I seem to remember that you're also skeptical towards tattooed people since they define a "bad" image to you, that doesn't surprise me much. But if you want a solid basis for dismissing people, I'd look closer at what they are saying than what they personally like. Unless it's Lady Gaga's music.

Well, one of the reasons I usually dismiss those people is because they tend to act in stereotypical ways. But every so often someone breaks the mold. For example, usually these people love conflict, asserting dominance, taking things by force, and threatening anyone who stands in their way. At the very least, they enjoy appearing as if they love violence and conflict.

But you were saying that you desire the absence of conflict. I agree with this, I'm the same way. I question those who claim to love conflict as having something to prove. The absence of it seems so much better, much more sensible. In the absence of conflict we can build ourselves up and focus about what we like in life.

As for the music, there are more than a few bands I enjoy which have at least somewhat confrontational imagery. But I enjoy the music anyway. Sometimes I'm a walking contradiction.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as judging you, and if you feel I have, then I've misspoken. I just meant it as an honest assessment over time. I was skeptical at first as per my nature, but enjoyed some of your insights. I think you're all right.

Rodent said:
I'm almost 24 now and while I don't know where and how I'll be in five years or more, I know very well what I don't want to be. Constantly unfulfilled wants lead to frustration and desperation and I've seen one too many rebelling against how unfair the world and societal norms are, how nobody gives them what they desire and how nobody sees them how they want to be seen. You know what I'm referring to. While I'm alive I will try to prevent myself from going down that road.

Speaking of insights this is a case in point, that I relate to strongly as well ^. I don't know where I want to be but I sure know where I don't. I have started a ways down the road you describe, I only hope it's not too late to go back, and if I can go back, then I can make it back before I waste too much more time.

Rodent said:
Choose a philosophy, but the right one. Stoicism which ardour mentions below, is one of that kind and I respect it. I'm not a dreamer. I usually dismiss only the kinds that really do nothing but occupy your mind and distance you more from reality than helping you to handle it.

You can keep searching, it's just that I haven't found much meaning out there. Only in what I do on my own and for myself - which involves being creative.

Ah that's the difference then. I am very much a dreamer, my head has always been in the clouds. I want to get more ideas, I want to open myself up to inspiration. But like you say, I don't want to waste time on philosophies which don't give me anything to take away from them to use in my life.

If you don't think there is much meaning out there, though, then from where do you draw your creative inspiration?

ardour said:
The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius addresses it in a practical manner - realizing it's how you react to circumstances that defines you, not what you have or don't have (Skafish maybe you would be interested).

Thanks, my friend is actually reading it at the moment. Perhaps I'll check it out one of these days.

TheSkaFish said:
As for the music, there are more than a few bands I enjoy which have at least somewhat confrontational imagery. But I enjoy the music anyway. Sometimes I'm a walking contradiction.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as judging you, and if you feel I have, then I've misspoken. I just meant it as an honest assessment over time. I was skeptical at first as per my nature, but enjoyed some of your insights. I think you're all right.

We like what we like. If anything, the realization that the artist behind his work (or the people beyond what meets the eye) are not what they seem to be, should open our eyes. It doesn't have to be contradictory unless you make it that way. Otherwise my musical taste would make no sense at all. No offense was taken either way, you are entitled to your judgement like anyone else and I'm allowed to prove you wrong - deliberately or unintentionally.

TheSkaFish said:
Ah that's the difference then. I am very much a dreamer, my head has always been in the clouds. I want to get more ideas, I want to open myself up to inspiration. But like you say, I don't want to waste time on philosophies which don't give me anything to take away from them to use in my life.

If you don't think there is much meaning out there, though, then from where do you draw your creative inspiration?

Pictures I've drawn were inspired by books I read, games I played, my experiences with the world and the people. Maybe that's why I'm not really getting into photography though I am trying. I suppose the clue is that there has to be no meaning out there. You see an image and you capture it because it resonates with something within yourself, or maybe you just deem it worthy for its natural perfection. I think art is meant to stimulate at first and more often than not the process of creation is more stimulating than looking at the end result...let's not even talk about (over)analyzing it.

wolvesjr said:
never felt you were intimidating or scary at all Rodent. To me you came across as insightful, funny, and pretty matter of fact about things.

Much appreciated, wolvesjr. I'm glad to hear so many stating that my mere image does not overshadow my wit and reason.

bleed_the_freak said:
In times of personal growth, beware of what you consume. Just as you are what you eat, you are (become) what you read, hear, see, and do.

That's true. If you're only exposed to negative information, you're going to have a negative outlook and bias.

Hey Rodent.

i think you are a challenge and a riddle, posed as a test. and i think your loneliness is horrible. i think you long for someone to find you, see past the riddle, and not need you - but manage to actually make you intrigued. i think you long for someone that shines to you.
the worst loneliness, sometimes, is not the kind that you experience when others shun you, but when there's no one there to make you want to care.

i looked at your art thread, loved the photographs.

dead said:
i think you are a challenge and a riddle, posed as a test. and i think your loneliness is horrible. i think you long for someone to find you, see past the riddle, and not need you - but manage to actually make you intrigued. i think you long for someone that shines to you.
the worst loneliness, sometimes, is not the kind that you experience when others shun you, but when there's no one there to make you want to care.

You might be interpreting too much mystery into myself, but it's your right to do so. In general, the knowledge that other people might hold does intrigue me - not the people themselves. Which is why I wouldn't want to use anybody for the sole purpose of extorting knowledge from them due to my emotional deficiency. I don't think of my "loneliness" as horrible, it's more of an acquired taste at this point.

Nicholas said:
Seems to me like youre in love in yourself

Nice assertion, can I have fries with that and no grammatical errors please?

I was wrong, youre totally in love with yourself, to a point you cant take critisisem. You dont want to read what people really think, you just rather exctort empty sypmphaty. Heh.... Lame

Btw i write how i want, you can whine about it or fight it. Bit you cant change it

Why should I fight those unfounded assertions you desperately want to disguise as "criticism"? I prefer to call people out on this instead.

And I know I can't change the way you write. Pointed it out anyway. It does not help your credibility.

Nicholas said:

I always see you behaving like this in threads. Do you do this in real life? If so I can see why you've ended up on this site.

Nicholas said:
I was wrong, youre totally in love with yourself, to a point you cant take critisisem.

Calling someone self-involved with hardly a shred of reasoning to back it up... powerful, major pwnage there.

Paraiyar said:
Nicholas said:

I always see you behaving like this in threads. Do you do this in real life? If so I can see why you've ended up on this site.

Youre saying it like its a bad thing, i didnt "ended up" here, actually i love visiting this site.
And yes, i am like this in real life, so you can either accept it or not, i couldnt care less.

Its not like i have anything against Rodent, on the contrary, im rather fond of the guy. But a guy that ask others opinion about himself, and then attacks the ones that their opinion he doesnt like, doesnt really wqnt to hear opinions, but rather get praises.

Nicholas said:
Its not like i have anything against Rodent, on the contrary, im rather fond of the guy. But a guy that ask others opinion about himself, and then attacks the ones that their opinion he doesnt like, doesnt really wqnt to hear opinions, but rather get praises.

If you were that fond of me (which I highly doubt since we don't even know each other aside from posting in the same threads on rare occassions) you wouldn't accuse me of being a narcissisist without any trace of evidence or even an attempt to back up your claim.

You are confusing "attacking someone's opinion" and "attacking someone's blatant lack of evidence and reasoning for his opinion". I'm doing the latter. That's what both Paraiyar and ardour pointed out as well.

On a side note, I've countered both criticism and praise alike. Not just in this thread. That's why I will not let people call me a big thinker or a mystery either just to give myself some fuzzy feels.

Latest posts

Back