Pushing people away.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavenderashes

Reaction score
If you find yourself pushing people away....

Why do you do it?

I've just recently noticed that I've started to do this with a lot of people I've been befriending lately. I think it's because we don't have the same interests, or they just don't really understand where I'm coming from when slightly serious topics come up. Or, if the one person you want to befriend, becomes friends with someone else beside you/in another group (school).
I feel a lot worse when with people that I can't relate to so I push them far, far away, get irritated with them and hope they just really don't talk to me.

It might seem a bit silly but...

Why do you do it?

I do it all the time as well... even with people that i have known and hung out with for years.... Right now at this moment i am pretty okay with it... because i have people who are closer to me that i would rather spend more time with... now i just wish that i had a girlfriend but i am hoping that comes with time...

I think I'm like you, Lavender... I find that I will push people away when we don't share interests. I don't necessarily think this is a 'bad thing'...simply put, how can you be enjoy spending time with someone whom doesn't share any of your interests? Sure, it's nice to know more people in life, but if you can't enjoy hobbies together, spending time with that person or people it makes it difficult to build a relationship and feel the need to hold on.

That's my opinion of it anyway.

Not too long ago, I thought (finally!) I had found someone I could be come close with and develop a strong friendship with. We seemd to have very similar interests, we seemed to have an understanding of each other and our confidence problems.
Until one day, there was an argument, that turned into a fight that turned into...i don't even know what. All over a stupid email virus.

I tend to distance myself from making any friends now- don't want to be hurt or disappointed again

I distance myself from someone if I think what I am thinking or feeling would produce a negative opinion of me in them.

Breathe_No_More said:
I think I'm like you, Lavender... I find that I will push people away when we don't share interests. I don't necessarily think this is a 'bad thing'...simply put, how can you be enjoy spending time with someone whom doesn't share any of your interests? Sure, it's nice to know more people in life, but if you can't enjoy hobbies together, spending time with that person or people it makes it difficult to build a relationship and feel the need to hold on.

That's my opinion of it anyway.

Not too long ago, I thought (finally!) I had found someone I could be come close with and develop a strong friendship with. We seemd to have very similar interests, we seemed to have an understanding of each other and our confidence problems.
Until one day, there was an argument, that turned into a fight that turned into...i don't even know what. All over a stupid email virus.

I tend to distance myself from making any friends now- don't want to be hurt or disappointed again

I agree. You can't really spend time with someone who doesn't have the same interests as you.

Over an email virus. Huh. That's ridiculous. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I know how you feel not wanting to be disappointed/hurt again. Maybe one day you'll find someone who will not become friends with you over an email virus.

I push people away to protect myself from the rejection that I know I will eventually receive from them, so I do it first.

Nolife Princess said:
I push people away to protect myself from the rejection that I know I will eventually receive from them, so I do it first.

From people you want to be friends with?

Sometimes I just can't fake the smiles and giddy personality. Isolating myself seems like the best solution.

I can't bring others down to my level that way. And most times, I'm too stubborn to take someone's hand if they reach out.

Latest posts

Back