question about medicines

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mentat27

Reaction score
this seems like the kind of place people with some "wellness issues" might congregate

ive been ahh blessed with depression
runs in the old family

ive recently decided that i want to do something about it, seeing a psychologist never helped

sooo its off to a psychiatrist
meaning medicine

was just wondering if like other people who have depression could like tell me about some of the more common kinds of medicine like as far as side effects go

it sounds weird but im kinda hoping to find a pill that will just completely take away my appetite and fix the sillyness in my mind. does anyone know of anything like that?

Depression runs in my family as well. My sister and mother have been on anti-depressants for many years and I stopped taking them last year.

I have taken Zoloft first, but the side effect of being more depressed first before the actual effect takes place was too much for me to handle. I just could not go through with it.

Then came Cipralex, which my doctor was so kind to give me 4 months worth for free. The side effects I have experienced where similar to what Zoloft does, but not as strong so I stuck with it. I also did not eat as much while being on this medication (went from 160lbs to 127lbs) but I think that had to do with my depression more than the medication.

Hopefully you can find something soon, it can be a long process to find what is right for you and if you are willing to feel better by taking medication it should not be a big problem.

Anti depressants are in a drug family known as 'selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitors' or ssri's. They work by trying to 'level out' or 'balance' the seratonin in your body. What is supposed to happen is you don't feel depressed anymore, but you also won't feel really happy either.

Typically, it takes a bit for them to start working...a couple days, or a week. Depending on the drug your dr may give you a loading dose and then taper off to a maitenence dose.

Most of them have similar side effects...like nausea, tremors, drowsiness, photosensitivity, etc... (check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor#General_side_effects for details)

I took effexxor, lexapro, and welbutrin. They all had the same effect...the tremors in me were really bad...almost like a seizure. I stopped taking them as I could not function on the meds. They say they do subside, but in my case since they were so strong in the beginning I could not function with them. So I would have to basically not do anything for a week, sit at home and shake all day while my body got used to it...or stop taking them. All 3 drugs did the same thing. They also killed my appetite. SOmetimes they are prescribed to help people loose weight as well.

I am the exception. There are at least 3 people at the pharmacy I work at taking an SSRi and are doing great. One is a pharmacist...he is taking Paxil. He swears by it, says it has turned him around...he feels so much better now.

In most cases, they will work. But like any medication they can have side effects.

Hope this helps! Check out that link...pretty much if he does prescribe something for depression it will be an ssri.

ya ever since i was ten i was on medication for my general anxeity disorder, i was on paxil for a long time then a few years a go i switched to lexapro because it commonly has less sideeffects
ooh talking about SSRIs known as selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors
ohhhh may i post please, a few months ago for my AP psche class i worte a 4 page paper on lexapro which i tottally aced XD

sorry just can i, i want to play ther smarty pants know it all thread poster please,

here just let me look in my email and sent items, here we go, hmm looks smaller but then i guess i had it doubled spaced when i handed it in

wala

:)

Lexapro (Escitalopram)

Lexapro is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, more commonly known as an antidepressant that is typically used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety or depression. Lexapro was developed in 1997. Lexapro is commonly taken orally as a small white and round pill, recommended dosages are ten to twenty milligrams. Lexapro works by increasing the levels of serotonin in the brain. Selective serptonin reuptake inhibitors, are now more recommend by docters to be used as antidepressants, because SSRIs have less side efects. A low level of serotonin in the brain is usually what causes depression and anxiety. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors increase the level of neurotransmitter serotonin by inhibiting or suppressing it’s reuptake into the presynaptic cell. Leaving more serotonin available to the postsynaptic receptor. This creates a feeling of calm and relaxation. It appears that people without this disorder naturally produce more serotonin, and that a decrease of serotonin can make person uneasy or feel more on edge. It can also be used to treat other similar mental ailments such as; obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. In a normal person serotonin is relased into the synapse to aid the transmision of nerve impulses. But in a person with GAD or depression the presynaptic nerve reabsorbs the serotonin from the synapse too soon, leaving a lower concentration of serotonin in the synapse prevents the transmission of the impulse to the post-synaptic nerve. SSRIs block the serotonin reuptake receptors. This helps to keep the level of serotonin high enough to carry the nerve impulse across the synapse. Lexapro can be taken at any time of the day and is safe to take with most other medications except for monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as Parnate or Nardil for it can cause fatal reactions if combined with Lexapro. Common side effects of lexapro include insomnia somnolence or fatigue, nausea, headache; trouble concentrating. It can also cause dizziness in children. And sexual side effects such as anorgasmia and decreased libido. SSIR antidepressants can cause severe or life-threatening lung problems in newborn babies if mothers take Lexapro during the pregnancy. Severe symptoms such as seizures or convulsions, muscle stiffness or twitching, problems with balance or coordination and agitation though rare may occur. Overdosing on Lexapro can cause rapid heartbeat, confusion, seizures, dizziness, vomiting, tremor, sweating or even coma. Lexapro can also increase thoughts of suicide if it makes a person irratble which is why frequent checkups with a physician are recommended. It is also not recommended for children or anyone under 18 unless a doctor suggests it may help with a persons mental condition.

In 2001 Lexapro was submitted to the FDA. (Federal drug administration) And was approved for major depression 2002 and was then approved for the treatment of general anxiety disorder in 2003. Lexapro has been prescribed to over fifteen million people in the United States.

General Anxiety disorder (GAD) is characterized by excessive irrational and uncontrollable worrying. A person with generalized anxiety disorder will often feel apprehensive or anxious for no specific reason. Or they will feel more worrisome or distraught about everyday things that a normal person would not. I.e. a test or an upcoming doctor’s appointment. Sufferers of GAD may often show symptoms of hypochondria or obsessive worrying about one's health and wellbeing. The constant worrying often interferes with daily life for people with GAD for they often anticipate disaster and their thoughts are often preoccupied with compulsive worry over matters such as money, social situations such as problems with friends or family or work difficulties. Physical symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder can also occur, common symptoms are headache, nausea, fatigue, muscle ache, muscle tension, trembling, twitching, irritability and insomnia. Approximately 6.8 million Americans suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. GAD affects twice as many females than males.

Neural Circuitry involving the hippocampus and the Amygdala is theorized to underlie anxiety. In studies when participants were exposed to an unpleasant and potentially harmful stimuli such as a foul odor or taste. PET scans showed increased blood flow in the amygdala. During this experiment participants reported feeling moderate anxiety. This indicates that anxiety could possibly be a protective mechanism of the brain designed to prevent the person from engaging in dangerous behaviors or situations. This suggests that a possible cause for anxiety disorders may be due to an excess of blood flow in the amygdala. Unlike a normal person where the increase in blood flow would cease once the stimuli was removed. Using brain imaging technologies and neurochemical techniques, scientists have been finding more evidence that the amygdala plays an important role in GAD. The amygdala acts as a communications hub between parts of the brain that processes incoming sensory signals and the parts of the brain that interpret them. It can signal if a threat is present thus triggering anxiety as a fear response. Researchers have found that mental problems such as GAD can be hereditary, but metal ailments can also be triggered by traumatic event, as in common with PTSD. (Post traumatic stress disorder.

Depression is characterized by a pervasive or persistent low mood. Or loss of interest or joy in usual activities. The most common onset of depression is typically between the ages of thirty and forty, and usually peaks between the ages of fifty and sixty. Mental ailments such as anxiety have found to occur more in females than in males, studies have also shown that males produce up to 50% more serotonin than females, which seems to suggest why these aliments are less common in males. Because there is an inverse correlation between serotonin levels and feelings of depression and anxiety. About 3.4 people with major depression commit suicide. Depressed people are also susceptible to conditions such as heart disease. People with depression are often preoccupied or overwhelmed with feelings of worthlessness, guilt, regret, helplessness or hopelessness. Depression can also cause problems with memory and concentration. Insomnia is common as well. People with depression will often withdraw from social situations, and experience a diminished sex drive. And will experience macabre thoughts of death and suicide.

there's everything you will probably ever have to know about lexpro and more

*proud smilies*

:D

and well i know thinking about it feels kinda weird to take a medicine to fix your brain in the beginning like late 90s it felt kinda like it could be used for mind control or taking your soul away

but i feel the same i still have the same interests, and thinking about it i feel okay with the medicine, without it i just feel anxious for no reason and sometimes it feels like my nerves are on fire just like they were working on overdrive.

so although it doesn't really sound good you might have to start out experimenting with drugs XP

well your psycharitrist will probably start you out with something low dosage and see how you feel with that or maybe try something else if it doesn't help.

But you can probably find something that works and if you do if you feel better with it then just stick with it i guess

i guess with an SSRI i've been able to live a pretty normal live with this disorder, i mean it really doesn't feel like i have a disorder. And i don't like having to feel anxious all the time so i guess it works for me

:)

Well I was taking an anti-depressant and I've never had any side affects on mine, the one I was taking was fluoxitene and took it for about 10 years. It's been about 4 months since I stopped taking them and I'm fine, no depression whatsoever.

i was put on antidepressents when i was 18, im 24 now and i have been stuck on them ever since. The first one the doctor put me on was Citalopram, which i reacted really badly to, it felt like i had electricity zooming through my body, and my co ordination skills were horrendus, i could barely walk in a straight line on them, plus when i would close my eyes i'd see white flashes. it was horrendus.

Then after 4 months on Citalopram, i was put on Effexor, it was absolutely marvellous and i had no side effects when i first took it. However, although it helped with my depression, the withdrawal effects of this medication are atrocious, ive been stuck on it for 5 years. Even ifyou miss your usual dosage by as little as 2 hours you start to get what is called 'brain zaps', where it feels like electricity is being shot into your brain, you then get dizzy, dissorientated, and a mega depression. I have no idea how i am going to get off this medication, i have even tried opening the capsule and taking one of the balls out each day, but even then i started to get really depressed after a week of doing it. I've tried lowering the dossage by cutting down by 30% or so over a few months, but still no use. :(

My advice to you is, do not rush into taking whatever medication the doctor gives you, do some research on the pill they prescribe you before you start taking it, just in order that you know what may lie ahead. I had no idea that Effexor was so hard to come off, i wish someone would have told me back then to do some research first.

All the best

I may be repeating what many have already said, but I was on Wellbutrin for a brief period. It definitely does supress the appetite and I experienced a much milder version of the tremors grundel mentioned for the first week, but after that I was fine. I honestly did not do much research into it before I began taking it, but my experience was that I was more focused (I suffer from a mild version of adult ADD, so focusing is not easy) ate less and felt more emotionally stable. Well, by stable I mean blank. I really felt like my personality was being mildly supressed. I know, it sounds so cliche but I would go through a whole day of various activities and not express one emotion...I realized I had stabilized and had just become, well, boring. I stopped taking it after a while...which I don't reccommend just "stopping," since as many of you might know it kind of sends you into a free fall of depression. In fact, I'm like the physical manifestation of all you SHOULDN'T do.
However, while actively taking it, it was a good support to my other efforts to balance my life. I think that had I weaned myself off, as is recommended, it would have been a good transition into self-reliant stability.

Good luck, do the research for sure. You really don't want to start ******* with your brain chemicals before you have a good idea of what to anticipate.

Cipralex,
i stopped taking them after a few months.
But they actually work, i just did'nt like the way coffee tasted :p
It made me not care about anything bad in my life.
But it made me not care about getting fat either, and i did'nt want that again.
Its also amazing for other things, but i dont want to sound rude :D
Its the same as Evfans but its a different name in the UK.

BTW dont tell my GP i stopped taking them :D

Omg... i didn't know so many people knew so much about these pills here. Even You Samba were on medication? For TEN years??? Wow.

Latest posts

Back