Questions for the Women

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rdor said:
Pet names from someone you're not involved with - offensive, creepy, inappropriate?

Or you're from the South, lol. (Yes, I'm from the south)
I don't find it creepy - it's somewhat typical here.
I call people honey at my office and have no involvement of any kind with them other than work.
I guess it could be viewed that way under certain circumstances though.

When people are being overly friendly towards me I don't have a problem when people give me pet names. Though when people call me Babe or something... for some reason I react differently. Not sure if that's a pet name or not but I hate being called Babe.

How is important is appearance? I am well dressed most of the time, i have fair amount of quality clothes(dress to impress and all) does a well dressed man intimidate you? or cause shyness? i don't know how to phrase it better :/ either way i often think it's the reason why the ladies avoid me or find me hard to approach. Can anyone weigh in?

Pedestrian said:
How is important is appearance? I am well dressed most of the time, i have fair amount of quality clothes(dress to impress and all) does a well dressed man intimidate you? or cause shyness? i don't know how to phrase it better :/ either way i often think it's the reason why the ladies avoid me or find me hard to approach. Can anyone weigh in?

It depends on what type of women you come across. This is what I think: if you come across shy women, either they might feel intimidated or they like it but think you're out of their league, or they don't really bother about physical appearance so they don't really care. If you come across women who like men who are well-dressed and they are confident enough to show it, they might give you some glances and smiles or even talk to you. Some women might think a man who is well-dressed knows how to take care of himself and find that appealing, some might think he is high maintenance (this then depends how or what type of well-dressed mannerism you mean here).

Personally though, I don't really care as long as the guy looks decent enough to me. He doesn't need to dress to impress me. :p

As Lady said, it varies. I appreciate well-dressed men. But, that's not mandatory to impress me ;)

Lady and me think alike :p

ladyforsaken said:
It depends on what type of women you come across. This is what I think: if you come across shy women, either they might feel intimidated or they like it but think you're out of their league, or they don't really bother about physical appearance so they don't really care. If you come across women who like men who are well-dressed and they are confident enough to show it, they might give you some glances and smiles or even talk to you. Some women might think a man who is well-dressed knows how to take care of himself and find that appealing, some might think he is high maintenance (this then depends how or what type of well-dressed mannerism you mean here).

Personally though, I don't really care as long as the guy looks decent enough to me. He doesn't need to dress to impress me. :p

It's good to hear from a females perspective. I can recall many occasions where i noticed someone smile at me or or give more than a glance, like they were checking me out, if only they knew how shy in person i am :(

Also for me "well- dressed" means having style, a good posture, well groomed hair(including facial) one of these days i ought to post a picture to show how i dress typically.

Pedestrian said:

I think it totally depends on what you consider "well dressed". To me it means a man who wears clothes that suit him well, and are appropriate for the occasion. The cost of them is mostly irrelevant - it wouldn't make a shirt suit you more if it had cost £200 rather than £20.

If a man was overly concerned with being "stylish" and fashionable however, then this itself would actually put me off as it would give me the initial impression of superficiality or shallowness, like he was too concerned with his appearance.

It would also put me off if a guy is totally over-dressed, as it would make me feel very awkward. There was a guy who I went to college with who would wear a full suit, tie and a very expensive watch, every single day. He wore it in classes, where the dress code was completely casual, and he wore it out literally everywhere he went - be it to a club or to the supermarket. This again gives me the impression that to that person, image is a bit too important to them. In his case, that impression was correct as he was a total pompous jerk who considered most people "beneath him", and his wearing of a suit constantly completely out of context was his way of expressing his feeling of superiority.

Pedestrian said:
Also for me "well- dressed" means having style, a good posture, well groomed hair(including facial) one of these days i ought to post a picture to show how i dress typically.

Yes, you ought to!

Lady X said:
If a man was overly concerned with being "stylish" and fashionable however, then this itself would actually put me off as it would give me the initial impression of superficiality or shallowness, like he was too concerned with his appearance.

I cannot deny that i do think style is something i enjoy, it has a way of catching peoples eye, perhaps i am too superficial, but i like to keep up appearances, it's just a part of who i am. Now i'm going to think this is how people see me :/

Lady X said:
It would also put me off if a guy is totally over-dressed, as it would make me feel very awkward. There was a guy who I went to college with who would wear a full suit, tie and a very expensive watch, every single day. He wore it in classes, where the dress code was completely casual, and he wore it out literally everywhere he went - be it to a club or to the supermarket. This again gives me the impression that to that person, image is a bit too important to them. In his case, that impression was correct as he was a total pompous jerk who considered most people "beneath him", and his wearing of a suit constantly completely out of context was his way of expressing his feeling of superiority.

It surprises me to hear that people like that still exist, but those with giant ego's love to flaunt them. I can't prove that i'm any different but i can assure you that i'm not like that, if i wanted to express superiority i'd do it as bluntly as possible. Also yeah "dress code" is very important, i have an outfit for very occasion :)

That's good that you have a outfit for every occasion, I'm the same way believe it or not! haha! =D

This is awkward but as a 30+ male my legs are hairless. This a turn off?

I have a question for women.

Do women not like to respond on the questions for the women thread? :p

Boring-Weirdo said:
How important is self-esteem and confidence to you? Could you date a man with a low self-opinion?

Depends on what affect it might have on a relationship.

Hawx79 said:

Depends on the woman I suppose.

ShybutHi said:
I have a question for women.

Do women not like to respond on the questions for the women thread? :p

Happy Now? :p

The two previous questions are subjective and that might be why no one answered them.

Boring-Weirdo said:
EveWasFramed said:
Boring-Weirdo said:
How important is self-esteem and confidence to you? Could you date a man with a low self-opinion?

What effect are you thinking of?

I wasn't thinking of any particular one actually. I meant in general. The question will always be subjective.

Hawx79 said:

It wouldn't be to me. I like smooth skin.

EveWasFramed said:
Boring-Weirdo said:

What Eve said. If, for one example, his self-opinion was so low that he kept trying to change himself into whatever he thought I wanted him to be, that would be a problem. It's important to me to be with someone who is his own person, who is strong in himself and who he is. Compromise is one thing, but I don't want a man to sacrifice who he is in order to become who he thinks I want. I want an individual, not a chameleon.

This is just one of many problems that could arise from low self-esteem.

Solivagant said:
What Eve said. If, for one example, his self-opinion was so low that he kept trying to change himself into whatever he thought I wanted him to be, that would be a problem. It's important to me to be with someone who is his own person, who is strong in himself and who he is. Compromise is one thing, but I don't want a man to sacrifice who he is in order to become who he thinks I want. I want an individual, not a chameleon.

Why don't you want a man to try to change himself into something closer to your ideal? How could that be bad?

Boring-Weirdo said:
Solivagant said:

Why don't you want a man to try to change himself into something closer to your ideal? How could that be bad?

Because (whether it works out or not) later there will be resentment. You can't pretend to be something you're not forever, and if she turns out to be just human(inevitably), you're gonna resent changing for her. And it's basically lying. And it's kinda weak changing yourself rather than having the strength to be yourself and let someone love you for that.

Latest posts

Back