Quick thoughts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woz

Reaction score
"Insomniacs are just examples of why we should be free. Some people just don't sleep and think it's a problem because we are told to sleep early so we can wake up easily the next morning. We shouldn't eat unless we feel the need to, so why can't we sleep when we want to?"

Just wrote this on my notes and had to get it out there. Thoughts?

Wow, I was just wondering if I was the only one with insomnia here (4:38 am here at the moment...)
I haven't had a stable sleep pattern for over 6 years now, it wasn't as bad before because I had school to force a certain rhythm into me, but now that's gone I sleep whenever I feel tired, which could be anywhere from midnight to 9 am.
Right now it's because I see no purpose in following the conventional pattern anymore, but before I just couldn't sleep due to a recurring nightmare, I was literally scared shitless so I just ended up staring at the ceiling until I couldn't stay awake any longer.

Still though, I don't think you should apply the same logic to eating and sleeping patterns: Eating takes significantly shorter and has a much smaller impact on your day to day activities.
If you're starving you can take a quick snack and be good to go with whatever it is you're doing, if you're sleep deprived you can't take a 10 minute nap and be well rested afterwards, you'll really need those daily 6-8 hours (although I sleep way longer than that)
Bottom line is, if everyone would decide to start eating whenever they pleased it wouldn't really change much in the big picture, if they did the same with sleeping you'd get people too tired to properly do their job because they decided they'd prefer sleeping at 4 am, when they have to get up at 6:30 am.
It's a nice concept in theory, it just won't really work unless society was waaaay more flexible.

Because you need to go to work, or school. If you don't, you're either "mentally ill" or a "criminal." It's just a part of the fake freedom they "give" us.

I for one would preffer to sleep during the day and be awake during the night, it's just more interesting to me, but then again that might be because i always sleep during this time. The unknown is always interesting. Of course they would tell me to get a job with only night shifts, but that won't make me enjoy and appreciate the beauty that is the night.

I'm rambling too much, i don't know much about insomniacs, because i don't know any and aren't one myself. If it works for them to sleep around 1-2 hours a night/day, power to them, i don't mind at all.

I have a feeling i missed the point, sorry for that.

Well the reason we are to go to bed early and arise at dawn is simply in our genes since in past times when we were farmers and such, we could not waste our daylight sleeping and thus adapted our sleep patters to the sun.

And so we have continued, most likely out of habit since there is low reason for most of us to be awake with the sun, we can do our work and studies no matter if the sun is up or not.

The only reason I can find for this to still be relevant is that humans crave sunlight in order to stay healthy.

But even with all these things in mind, I am just like you... I spend my nights awake and sleep during the day.

One reason I prefer the night is it's less crowded. Quieter. Being introverted, that's like a dream to me.

Sitting in my room at night is peaceful and I can do whatever I want without worrying about daytime bothers, like someone calling, needing to be somewhere on time, etc.

I could go for a walk (I live in a suburb), and just savor the silence. Or tranquility is possibly a better word, as the sounds of insects, the occasional bird, and maybe once in a while, a single passing car just resonate so perfectly with the night's general silence.

And should one go out to some establishment open at night, such as a bar, or some 24 hour store, you'll likely find people just like yourself: those that enjoy the night and it's easygoing silence over the hustle and bustle and noise of the day. People who know and appreciate what the night is.

Some people enjoy the night. Some are daytime people and want to sleep when it's dark out. Just two different kinds of people with different preferences, like everything else in life.

I think the problem is that most people are incapable of reading what their body wants to do. Whether it be eating, sleeping, or whatever. Really the only thing we seem to read is our bodies desire to use the restroom.

In the case of insomnia many people do not realize that darkness, night, whatever helps humans fall asleep. By using lights we humans are already tricking our bodies into wanting to stay awake. I often times find insomniacs also do an activity that requires light while they "try to sleep". A common insomnia commercial will show a man or woman watching tv in the dark. Yes it is dark, but you are focusing on a bright flickering light. That will keep you awake. After all, light says to stay awake.

There are plenty of mechanisms built into our bodies to help us take care of ourselves. Too bad a lot of us are hung up on ignoring those things.

Woz said:
"Insomniacs are just examples of why we should be free. Some people just don't sleep and think it's a problem because we are told to sleep early so we can wake up easily the next morning. We shouldn't eat unless we feel the need to, so why can't we sleep when we want to?"

Funny, I'm sort of a living example of that. I work at home so I have no fixed schedules and can sleep when I want. But I have a sleep disorder called non-24-hour sleep-wake disorder, or something. What that means is my body thinks the day lasts 25 hours, so each day I wake up about one hour later.

It's difficult sometimes if I have to go somewhere when I'm supposed to be sleeping. And it's no use trying to sleep before I get sleepy.

Woz said:

Actually you should eat even if you feel like you don't want to. All nutricionists agree is better not to skip meals. Ideally, people should be eating every 3-4 hours.

And about the sleeping thing... I used to think it was no big deal going to bed at 4 in the morning. I was wrong. It's better for us to sleep at night like we did for thousands of years before electricity was invented. I get how the staying up late thing can seem to be attractive to an introvert, because it was, and still is, to me. But I've finally managed to sleep on a normal schedule at night, and my sleep has improved.

AFrozenSoul said:
I think the problem is that most people are incapable of reading what their body wants to do. Whether it be eating, sleeping, or whatever. Really the only thing we seem to read is our bodies desire to use the restroom.

In the case of insomnia many people do not realize that darkness, night, whatever helps humans fall asleep. By using lights we humans are already tricking our bodies into wanting to stay awake. I often times find insomniacs also do an activity that requires light while they "try to sleep". A common insomnia commercial will show a man or woman watching tv in the dark. Yes it is dark, but you are focusing on a bright flickering light. That will keep you awake. After all, light says to stay awake.

There are plenty of mechanisms built into our bodies to help us take care of ourselves. Too bad a lot of us are hung up on ignoring those things.

but it makes me fall asleep quicker if the light is on then when the lights are off i don't know why :/ but then i worry i didn't turn the lights off so i wake up to turn them off.

i feel like i replied in this post but i guess i didn't. i hate being a insomniac!! i guess it's been driven home that all people should sleep early and get up early. sleeping in is frowned upon and sleeping late is worse. that's what my parents think at least. my dad described my habitual late sleeping as "terrible." thanks dad, thanks for making me feel worse than before. but it's like i can't do a thing about it. then i wake up late each day. ugh i hate it!! but here's a qoute to think about (from the cartoon Animaniacs): "early to rise, early to bed, makes a man healthy, but socially dead." loll

Felix said:
Woz said:

Actually you should eat even if you feel like you don't want to. All nutricionists agree is better not to skip meals. Ideally, people should be eating every 3-4 hours.

And about the sleeping thing... I used to think it was no big deal going to bed at 4 in the morning. I was wrong. It's better for us to sleep at night like we did for thousands of years before electricity was invented. I get how the staying up late thing can seem to be attractive to an introvert, because it was, and still is, to me. But I've finally managed to sleep on a normal schedule at night, and my sleep has improved.

hunger is another problem with me. i eat a lot sometimes. but i'm so skinny i feel like it doesn't matter.

Told my friend/colleague that I slept 2 hours today.
He hadn't noticed at all. He thought I looked thoughtful.
I said this is because UBERMENSCHEN don't need sleep! :p

Note, I was sleepy last night but I hadn't gotten enough of my "me" time so I made the choice to not fall asleep on time. It's not that I can't, I don't want to.

Rosebolt said:
Because you need to go to work, or school. If you don't, you're either "mentally ill" or a "criminal." It's just a part of the fake freedom they "give" us.

I for one would preffer to sleep during the day and be awake during the night, it's just more interesting to me, but then again that might be because i always sleep during this time. The unknown is always interesting. Of course they would tell me to get a job with only night shifts, but that won't make me enjoy and appreciate the beauty that is the night.

I'm rambling too much, i don't know much about insomniacs, because i don't know any and aren't one myself. If it works for them to sleep around 1-2 hours a night/day, power to them, i don't mind at all.

I have a feeling i missed the point, sorry for that.

Ah, psychiatrists, one of the final sticks that can convince you to stick to the crazyness of modern society.

These days, they can get a diagnosis for EVERYONE. Anything out of "THE NORM" is a "mental illness"

The question is: is THE NORM something that is innate to people? Did we biologically evolve that serving in a society like that is our second nature?

People on the computer tend to be skinnier than people watching TV because you can't eat while you're doing something at the computer while at the TV, you can eat up :) (unless you have restless remote syndrome of course)

Latest posts

Back