Reasons not to kill yourself (the cynic's version)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tealeaf said:
None of those are the slightest bit motivating to me. I have a very hard time enjoying food many days and have been known to skip it entirely. On occasion I have (not deliberately) gotten nauseous and even thrown up. My sex drive, even solo, disappears, too.

This is what I think isn't understood about depression and suicide. For many, they take away the possibility to enjoy things like food, drink, entertainment, or sex.

Exactly, even though I've got my whole life ahead of me, I just want to move far away, work for a while, so I can pay for the cremation and leave something behind for my brothers.

Living to spite everyone else can be a fun hobby if you do it right

I think if all those options presented actually bared fruit to someone, suicide would probably be pretty far in their mind in the first place.

Hedonism makes me feel icky. There is a way of demoralizing yourself and others during the pursuit of revenge and this perception of 'power'. Spirituality is a convoluted topic, but it's as real as electricity. Not something I would trivialize or make light out of.

One of the reasons I don't kill myself at 34 is that I see so many geezers around, many of them my patients, and they are quite ordinary and in many cases quite diseased, and I don't want them to outlive me.

So for all of you people out there in healthcare or thinking of going into healthcare, all you are really doing is keeping the old around a long time so they can drain the resources of society more and more, and make your own life that much worse.

Everybody knows this is true. Look at how Medicare and Social Security are bankrupting America, and the NHS is bankrupting Britain. If you want to debate me, I'm available anytime anywhere.

lonelydoc said:
One of the reasons I don't kill myself at 34 is that I see so many geezers around, many of them my patients, and they are quite ordinary and in many cases quite diseased, and I don't want them to outlive me.

So for all of you people out there in healthcare or thinking of going into healthcare, all you are really doing is keeping the old around a long time so they can drain the resources of society more and more, and make your own life that much worse.

Everybody knows this is true. Look at how Medicare and Social Security are bankrupting America, and the NHS is bankrupting Britain. If you want to debate me, I'm available anytime anywhere.

The elderly paid into social security and medicare as did their employers. Medicare is currently funded through 2029 and social security had a 2.6 trillion excess in collected funds which will keep it solvent as is through 2033. I don't see how that is bankrupting your country.

With the economic downturn and excessive unemployment social security has had to dip into the built up excess fund to meet payments. The economic stagnation of the 70s also caused social security to dip into the excess funds to meet payments.

With an aging population this should become more common and is a problem that should be addressed as it was in the 80s. I can't say that i agree with your solution that the elderly should just die so you can have the funds that they built up.

You have quite a history of hate speech against the elderly here. You are free to hate whoever you want but do not use the forum to promote you hatred against any group. It is no more acceptable than promoting hate based on someone's disabilities, sexual orientation, gender, race or national origin. Knock it off.

These comments are wittier than anything I could come up with!

But here's why I won't do it: Killing myself means the people who've screwed me over win and I lose by giving up.

Makes some kind of sense to me, anyway.

Funny in context. My personal take on that these days is, as a parent to a child talking about suicide right now, you have NO IDEA the amount of emotional turmoil you put said parent who loves you in, which ties to 5, impact. You may think you don't matter, but you do. So if you take your own life, odds are you aren't taking just one. Thibk very carefully on the consequences of your actions and words. It isn't all about you.

OK here is my reason.
I am sure some people may laugh, but it's my reason and I am 100% serious about it.
I genuinely believe that if I kill myself for any reason that is unjustified, I will not be allowed to see the one person in the afterlife that I want to see. And there is only one. My punishment and my hell for eternity for taking "the cowards way out" will be that I will never get to see her again.

I truly believe that the only justification for suicide is preventing yourself from becoming a burden on others, or preserving your dignity if independence is lost (having Nurse Ratched change your depends in the old folks home). So I believe in those circumstances, I would not be punished. But just being lonely, depressed, or "in pain". No. That will have eternal ramifications and I just won't do it.

All just IMO of course. Those are rules for myself, not others.

OK here is my reason.
I am sure some people may laugh, but it's my reason and I am 100% serious about it.
I genuinely believe that if I kill myself for any reason that is unjustified, I will not be allowed to see the one person in the afterlife that I want to see. And there is only one. My punishment and my hell for eternity for taking "the cowards way out" will be that I will never get to see her again.

I truly believe that the only justification for suicide is preventing yourself from becoming a burden on others, or preserving your dignity if independence is lost (having Nurse Ratched change your depends in the old folks home). So I believe in those circumstances, I would not be punished. But just being lonely, depressed, or "in pain". No. That will have eternal ramifications and I just won't do it.

All just IMO of course. Those are rules for myself, not others.
Not even slightly funny. It's a perfectly justified reason in line with your beliefs. I think it's admirable.

Emotional pain
I just want to die right now
Honestly I think that is something we must fight through.
But again, that is just my own beliefs.

I really hope you can get through this bad stretch you are experiencing and things start turning around for you.

I see a lot of suicidal people here. Believe me, I can relate. I'm 37 this year and for half my life I've debated with myself whether life is worth living. Even now I sometimes fantasize about ending it. Life can be downright exhausting, hopeless, degrading, heartbreaking, etc. Still, somehow I keep on. Here's the things that keep me going. I hope it helps someone.

1) Revenge. Lots of people have screwed me over in life. I want to be the one to spit on their graves, not the other way around.

2) Hedonism. There are lots of sensory experiences to be had in life. I've had my fill of drugs and crazy sex, but there are still other things to experience. Being dead is a guaranteed to be boring.

3) Fear of possible afterlife/reincarnation I basically think religion sucks and most spiritual doctrines are honeysuckle, but there is always a possibility that I'm wrong. It would be my luck to off myself and go to some crappy plane of existence, or get reincarnated as a politician (shudder)

4) Power. As the truly villainous among us know, power over others is it's own reward. As long as you are alive, there is a possibility that you may become powerful, influential, famous, etc, and have the adulation of the masses. Dead people can become famous too, of course, but I am sure the rewards are minimal.

5) Impact. There is that whole "other people" thing that some of us are vaguely aware of. Unless you are a complete hermit who lives in a cave, someone is going to have to deal with the aftermath of your death. Even if it seems like no one cares, one or two people probably do. Granted, it won't be your problem after you're gone, but in those last few moments before the darkness swallows you forever, won't you feel like a total ass?[/b]
You're right about point #3 concerning Reincarnation. Because if one commits suicide, then in his next reincarnation he would simply have to continue the same problem that he had left off in the previous life. So obviously the only solution is to stay alive and solve your problem constructively. I agree with you 100% about the Reincarnation.

As my own signature declares,"My ultimate dream came true," so obviously I want to stay alive. I have to.

It's a daily thought (for a long time), you literally reach a point where you just know life is not going to get better so you start searching for reasons (distractions ?) to stick around. As some have mentioned though, life is truly a gift, even if it sucks in some ways for many of us, I get it. But I also feel like despite not having any idea how many days I have left (none of us do), maybe at some point my luck will change. So I keep crawling along. I don't even care if my happiness finally arrives when I'm 80 yrs old and clinging to a scrap of remaining time, I'd be okay with it...to finally have the life I always wanted, however briefly it would be, seems like it would be worth it.

Last edited:
My reason is… I am too stupid to get the dosage right, after my last attempt I was in hospital for agessss with a damaged bladder! Was a total nightmare. Now I pray the lord takes me at whatever hour suits him and not a second before or after.

Latest posts

Back