RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h3donist

Reaction score
My favourite fantasy author died today :(

If you're not familiar with his work, please give them a try, they are brilliant books and he was a top bloke by all accounts.

Aw man, I was hoping this wasn't true. Very sad, he was a great writer :(. The book he co-wrote with Neil Gaimen, Good Omens, is my favourite book.

RIP

The older I get, the more Granny Weatherwax I feel. Can't believe there will be no more Discworld.

fantasy is not my thing, but he was great and inspired so many people to be brave and believe in imaginary creatures

Peaches said:
fantasy is not my thing, but he was great and inspired so many people to be brave and believe in imaginary creatures

I have often smiled at your ALL name, because Peaches is the name of a Pratchett character. A clever, honest female who asks penetrating and sometimes disconcerting questions. Do not be offended when I say that this character is a rat. In "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" the rats are great!!

Bright Blessings on your new journey Sir Terry Pratchett. Thank you letting me escape in your world.

I was never into his books, but he will be remembered with fondness and sadly missed.

I was so sad when I heard this yesterday. His Discworld books got me through my teens when everything else around me was sh*t.

"The sun goes down upon the Ankh,
And slowly, softly fades -
Across the Drum; the Royal Bank;
The River-Gate; the Shades.
A stony circle's closed to elves;
And here, where lines are blurred,
Between the stacks of books on shelves,
A quiet 'Ook' is heard.
A copper steps the city-street
On paths he's often passed;
The final march; the final beat;
The time to rest at last.
He gives his badge a final shine,
And sadly shakes his head -
While Granny lies beneath a sign
That says: 'I aten't dead.'
The Luggage shifts in sleep and dreams;
It's now. The time's at hand.
For where it's always night, it seems,
A timer clears of sand.
And so it is that Death arrives,
When all the time has gone...
But dreams endure, and hope survives,
And Discworld carries on."

jaguarundi said:
Minty said:
There is a petition going around now by fans asking Death to bring Sir Terry back to life. I think he would have loved it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31867210?ocid=socialflow_facebook

I love that! But he would have to come back without the Alzheimer's. Which would prove a lot more tricky, I'm thinking. ..** sigh**

I agree. It always seems a million times worse when a great author gets Alzheimer's.

He actually presented a documentary called Choosing to Die which if you haven't seen, I would recommend it. He talks about it in there.

*sigh*

I am so sad :'(

Minty said:
jaguarundi said:
Minty said:
There is a petition going around now by fans asking Death to bring Sir Terry back to life. I think he would have loved it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31867210?ocid=socialflow_facebook

I love that! But he would have to come back without the Alzheimer's. Which would prove a lot more tricky, I'm thinking. ..** sigh**

I agree. It always seems a million times worse when a great author gets Alzheimer's.

He actually presented a documentary called Choosing to Die which if you haven't seen, I would recommend it. He talks about it in there.

*sigh*

I am so sad :'(

Yes I watched it. Also watched my mum die with Alzheimer's dementia over a period of a few years. It is not the way anyone would choose to end their life. In one way Sir T was fortunate in that I suspect he didn't lose everything he was, become violent, scream, sob, have to be secured into a chair, medicated with anti psychotics or be doubly incontinent, blind, deaf and unable to eat solid food.

At least I really hope not.

Truly so sad. I got word just yesterday too ..
I hope he's at a better place now, wherever this might be. :-(

Latest posts

Back