Rudeness online.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the internet creats a another sub culture or behavior that dosn't already in real life.
Abuse in itself a very sensitive subject. It exist..as messed up as it is...It exist.
I know from personal experince if can talk about freely, I can heal of from it.
It's not tabboo if I choose to mention it. I chose to not live in denial
I agree with Stella....

However, I don't agree with Stella about she should grow balls.
Stella too purdy.
I can't imagine Stella with ballz...that's just totally wrong. :(

stella said:
in my own experience, i've had more abuse in real life. Yeah i've had the odd nasty comment shot at me online but its nothing compared to real life abuse e.g like when my mother would beat me to a pulp as a child and lock me in my bedroom alone for days. Or the time when i was bullied in school by all the popular kids for being too skinny.

i just think people need to wise up as to what 'real' abuse is, and a few snarly comments on a forum or chat room in my eyes does not seem serious enough to be called abuse.

There is no question in my mind that human suffering in the way that you mean it (had a pretty unpleasant early childhood and other very bad experiences) makes a mere digital insult seem very insignificent. Also, I'm very sorry to hear what you had to put up with as a child.

When I composed this thread, I never actually considered being rude a heinous crime as such but I did, and still do, wonder what sort of impact that the capacity to administer abusive remarks without any sort of meaningful reckoning, can have of the behavioural development of a person, especially children.

For exampled; does it help promote the idea that it's okay to target people with hostilty on a whim?

To some this subject may seem as groundless as the link between violence and videogames but "online rudeness" is a very prolific occurance and I don't see the harm in at least discussing or speculating on it's possible ramifications.

wolfshadow said:
stella said:
in my own experience, i've had more abuse in real life. Yeah i've had the odd nasty comment shot at me online but its nothing compared to real life abuse e.g like when my mother would beat me to a pulp as a child and lock me in my bedroom alone for days. Or the time when i was bullied in school by all the popular kids for being too skinny.

i just think people need to wise up as to what 'real' abuse is, and a few snarly comments on a forum or chat room in my eyes does not seem serious enough to be called abuse.

There is no question in my mind that human suffering in the way that you mean it (had a pretty unpleasant early childhood and other very bad experiences) makes a mere digital insult seem very insignificent. Also, I'm very sorry to hear what you had to put up with as a child.

When I composed this thread, I never actually considered being rude a heinous crime as such but I did, and still do, wonder what sort of impact that the capacity to administer abusive remarks without any sort of meaningful reckoning, can have of the behavioural development of a person, especially children.

For exampled; does it help promote the idea that it's okay to target people with hostilty on a whim?

To some this subject may seem as groundless as the link between violence and videogames but "online rudeness" is a very prolific occurance and I don't see the harm in at least discussing or speculating on it's possible ramifications.

I agree fully with you, wolfshadow. Take it once step further, and recall how many suicides have been linked to internet bullying. Sometimes what starts as just rude comments, evolves to something much worse. Just a thought....

stella said:
in my own experience, i've had more abuse in real life.....

Admitedly those situations are infinitely worse. Some of them actually are crimes. Still that doesn't mean that anything less is without consequence. Among other things, there have been suicides that at least in part are attributable to web harassment or encouragement. I don't think that it even has to be as severe as that to be considered a problem. It might not be the most earth shattering problem but it wasn't put forth a such. It still seems quite valid.

Minus said:
stella said:

Admitedly those situations are infinitely worse. Some of them actually are crimes. Still that doesn't mean that anything less is without consequence. Among other things, there have been suicides that at least in part are attributable to web harassment or encouragement. I don't think that it even has to be as severe as that to be considered a problem. It might not be the most earth shattering problem but it wasn't put forth a such. It still seems quite valid.

Agreed, Minus. It's a separate subject (and of course not meant to discount abuse in real life).

EveWasFramed said:
Minus said:
stella said:

Agreed, Minus. It's a separate subject (and of course not meant to discount abuse in real life).

I employ the term abuse quite loosely Eve but on reflection, it is a word that has a very powerful and specific meaning to sufferers of domestic violence and other forms of direct cruelty. So maybe that was a mistep on my part.

But I'm glad the distinction has been drawn between that and the actual thrust of this topic.

wolfshadow said:
EveWasFramed said:
Minus said:
stella said:

I employ the term abuse quite loosely Eve but on reflection, it is a word that has a very powerful and specific meaning to sufferers of domestic violence and other forms of direct cruelty. So maybe that was a mistep on my part.

But I'm glad the distinction has been drawn between that and the actual thrust of this topic.

It wasn't a mistep on your part, dear. Abuse in real life just isn't the subject of this thread. Somehow it seems to have been derailed.
So...back on track now. :D

Rudeness on line....

EveWasFramed said:

PC stalled on me. You and Wolfshadow covered everything i mentioned so i was just redundant.

So some of you are saying mental and emotional abuse is not at the heart rudeness?
On-line...what the fresia else can you do ? You can't cuase physical pain.

You can suger coat it with anything you want. Term it what you want...losly or tightly. Abuse is abuse.

A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose...Red, yellow, white. It's still a rose.
You can even change the term of that flower..The flower will remain what it is no matter want you call it.

I've been called every mother fucken name and terms in the fucken book...on line and off line.

Dose art imitate life or life imitate art ?

It's the same debebt when people said there where too much **** sex and crime on daytime TV for kids..
Well..fresia, flip it to the new channels...what do you get ?

Or flip it OFF.

it's like....I kept informing an engineer that keeps looking at the god **** blue prints all day.
I know what it's suppost to be like on paper, perfect or ought to be.
Fucken go outside and look at the freaken equiment with different components on it that's not on the blueprints...IT IS WHAT It IS.

I think the anonymity of the internet is quite freeing to many people... they can say things to people that they would never dare say to people face to face or on the phone, with little or no repercussions. I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen to them? They get banned from the forum... it's very unlikely that their actions will result in any more serious action. The internet in a way is a means of seeing what people truly think, without the restraint and politeness that would normally result from face-to-face conversation. They can say what they want and no-one can do anything about it.
Then of course, there the trolls: those who have no interest in the subject at hand, but simply want to stir things up, or invoke hate in those that they come across on the internet. As Alfred (Michael Caine) said in The Dark Knight "...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Lonesome Crow said:
So some of you are saying mental and emotional abuse is not at the heart rudeness?

No, not saying that at all. Saying that someone 'beating you to a pulp' or locking you up is different then some kid hiding behind a terminal and getting all mouthy.

Latest posts

Back