rumination

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I keep notebooks in order to give myself something to do. I don't actually believe in documenting the details of my life because there is nothing about them that deserves to be documented and no one, including me, who wants to read what I've written. But I was enthusiastic about writing for decades and fell into the habit of writing. Now, when I can't think of anything else to do, I write notebook entries simply from decades of habit.

My birthday is in four days, and I'll turn 50. It's outrageous that someone completely unviable like me has been kept alive for half a century. The resources I've consumed should have gone to people who are capable of surviving on their own, without being taken care of. But the focus of the lives of my father, late mother and brother are and were duty and obligation, especially when it comes to blood relatives. They consider themselves obligated to keep me on what amounts to life support no matter how much it robs them of their lives. I'm not strong enough to liberate them by ending my life voluntarily and deliberately. Every time I've tried, my contemptible brute animal survival instinct has asserted itself and caused me to back off. So I continue to be a burden and a drain and to exist without living like some piece of spare furniture in a storage locker. There are too many like me in the world who deny the truth to themselves and rationalize that they supposedly have value. I choose to be lucid and to acknowledge that my family robbing themselves of their lives because of me is entirely to be blamed on my weak character.

One curiosity I've found is that the lives of people like me remain largely undocumented. In the world's lore and literature we have always been the Other, the bad guys, the villains. Usually we have been confounded with the malicious psychopaths who do have the strength to act rightly but choose not to. It seems that those who shape our perspectives are not able to distinguish between enmity and shortcoming. But what I've also seen is that public perception is shaped by precisely those psychopaths reviled in literature. They are dominant in the world and control everything, and their lickspittles among creative people merely bleed off the internal pressure of their victims with aimless venting, for the very purpose of preventing an explosion and thereby keeping them in power. It's an old, cynical game that is being played more and more as greater and greater numbers of people find themselves helpless, hopeless and permanently defeated. And feelings of apathy and defeat have been increasing for decades as the excesses of our oligarchs have become more and more oblivious and venal and destructive. ... Or is that just a middle-aged man predictably saying things were better in the good old days? Maybe I am a cliche, but just maybe I am not.

What does it mean to be a cliche? It means to be deprived of liberty. The mass-produced slogans that people are dog-trained in early childhood to chant within their minds for the rest of their lives, are just part of how every single person who ever lived was broken to the saddle, and those who could not be broken did not live. But our contemptible brute animal bodies themselves break us, and we are broken from conception by the fact that those bodies are collectives consisting of billions of cells. the unavoidability of collectivity is the cardinal flaw in the laws of nature themselves because collectivity necessarily robs each membef of the collective, of its autonomy. None of which makes the slightest difference to me, because I'd have died many decades ago if it weren't for others keeping me alive, at no benefit to themselves. If I could not survive on my own anyway, then oppression by the inherent nature of collectivity robs me of nothing. In that way the guilt of the laws of nature toward me is less than it is toward the viable, who have been rendered mere tools and slaves despite being able to survive in a state of freedom. They are the truly unlucky ones and the ones with a true grievance. I am not even a tool or slave because I am useless, and someone who is useless cannot lose his freedom.

This has been enjoyable, but I think I'll go listen to Beethoven's 5th now. That will consume about an hour of my time. After that I can do another exercise in C the Hard Way and get rid of another 15 minutes. And after that I might lie down and let myself brain fog. Since I accomplish nothing, my activities all have the same lack of value, so that they live in a world of perfect equality and mutual justice.

Well, for what it's worth, I find your posts both thoughtful and amusing. You tackle things in depth and put them in new perspectives..

Measuring "value" is a difficult thing, and also it is subjective. What's the value of the athlete, running 50ms faster than the second best? Some find it a worthwhile pursuit, others couldn't care less.

And even if you think it's unfair that you get help from others, then consider that the world at large is **** unfair. You trying to make the world fairer by stopping to be a burden for others would merely be a drop in the ocean.

Ditto what Oldyoung said. Your posts are thoughtful, you are extremely articulate, so obviously intelligent.

I can't comment on what you've written about society, because what is there to say? What you have written is, simply, truth. But what you have written about yourself is small and incomplete.

You, specifically you, are special to me. I don't know you, but I picture you as a sort of a Mycroft, holding the intricacies of the world inside your mind.

Did you ever read "A Prayer For Owen Meany"? A whole life can come down to a single moment of importance.

Honestly, you sound everything except for a cliche - you sound like a highly original person, who might have some difficulties in finding others to connect with because of unusual intelligence and maybe views that are slightly different from the majority?
I guess feeling useless depends on what you would have wanted to achieve or what you compared yourself to, you can still, always, find a way to make yourself useful, and you do have quite a lot to give, and I don't buy too much into that "fate" stuff but maybe if you are still here in spite of circumstances, perhaps you are meant to do something (something good, not shoot the president or anything :D) or be somewhere in a special moment, and you just need to find where or what. Just a wild guess.

I remember when I read _A Prayer for Owen Meany_. It was toward the third quarter of 1997, and I had a job at a private investigation firm. My job was to watch recorded surveillance videos and type what I saw in the videos into a report. The business was being run by a retired police officer and was doing well, with several insurance company clients that provided me and the other typist with steady work. Then one of the investigators was stupid enough to bring his brother, who was neither our employee nor a licensed investigator, along for an investigation. The brother, in turn, was stupid enough to impersonate a police officer. Of course, the investigator was fired as soon as the owner found out, but the insurance company client found out as well and spread the word, so that the client base started to disappear. I spent about three weeks showing up for work and just sitting there with nothing to do, being paid full wages, before they started giving me unpaid days off. After two weeks of unpaid days off, I asked the owner for a formal layoff so I could collect employment insurance and have some kind of income, and he gave me a layoff with stated reason "shortage of work" (which was true). I got EI benefits and stayed on them until I got my last-ever job next February--and then stayed at that last-ever job until August 2006, eight and a half years later.

tl;dr it was during the three weeks when I was being paid but had nothing whatsoever to do, that my immediate superior asked me to clean out an empty desk, and I found a paperback copy of _A Prayer for Owen Meany_ in it. I asked the boss whether I could read it at my desk and he said that was fine. I think it took me about two days to read it, and those two days passed faster than the rest of the three weeks.

Thanks for bringing back kind of a bittersweet memory. :)

Latest posts

Back