Self-motivation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveWasFramed

Reaction score
How do you accomplish it?
How do you convince yourself to do what you KNOW you need to do?
How do you force yourself to step outside your carefully laid boundaries and move in the direction you need to or should be moving in?

All serious suggestions welcome.

I know it doesn't sound serious, but I just do it. Stop thinking. It's like you jump in the water, if you think about it it's over, you won't do it.

Peaches said:
I know it doesn't sound serious, but I just do it. Stop thinking. It's like you jump in the water, if you think about it it's over, you won't do it.

That actually does make sense to me. :p

EveWasFramed said:
How do you force yourself to step outside your carefully laid boundaries and move in the direction you need to or should be moving in?

Boundaries???? What are boundaries????

WildernessWildChild said:
EveWasFramed said:

Boundaries???? What are boundaries????

Here...let me show you...

Point A: :club: . :club: Point B:

You just do, out of necessity or desperation, or whatever it is that finally motivates you. Kicking yourself in the ass sometimes helps. That is a feat within itself to accomplish too.

EveWasFramed said:
Peaches said:

That actually does make sense to me. :p

no, dont jump in the water, unless you can swim, you might get over your head.
learn to stay on solid ground..
louise (

Sci-Fi said:
You just do, out of necessity or desperation, or whatever it is that finally motivates you. Kicking yourself in the ass sometimes helps. That is a feat within itself to accomplish too.

^^^This. I am motivated to wake up in the morning because if I didn't I would lose my job and my standard of living.

My problem is motivating myself to do the things I really want to do with my life because I often only do what's required of me, and then I crash. I need to find out how to motivate myself for non-obligatory aspects of life.

And "just doing it" may be enough motivation for some, but I have a barrier between me and "just doing it." Until that metaphorical barrier comes down, I'm stuck in the "OFF" position.

Depends on what it is you lack motivation for but some times we have to change our outlook, rewiring is not easy, letting go is not easy, just know it is possible to function if one can simply convince or trick the mind !

I always find that motivation is one of the hardest things to achieve, how can you motivate yourself to achieve self-motivation? Your thought process is vital for it. It's very easy to neglect or put something that needs doing off, and it's probably down to laziness for SOME, as continually reverting to 'I'll do it later' creates a lazy pattern since NOT doing something is so much easier than actually doing it. But of course people DO have psychologic mood variations that do effect your thinking pattern and ultimately - motivation.

I think people who are generally motivated do it without thinking, but this is something they're used to or conditioned to. I think if you got into the habit of doing it then it would eventually become second nature. You could do this by setting goals & rewards for yourself, also people tend to feel proud once they achieve something they set out to do and this can be enough to motivate them in the future.

If I don't do what I know needs done, it won't get done. Plain and simple. I don't have anyone to help me or do things for me, so I'm the only one that CAN/WILL do it.
I also consider what will happen if it doesn't get done (usually, the consequences of not doing it are enough to get my ass in gear), how it will affect myself and my family or my financial situation or whatever it is.
I tend to over analyze everything. Sometimes, like in this instance, it's to my benefit.

I go to gym now, for 2.5 weeks, to loose some weigth. Comepletely zero(I don't eat more then before I've strarted, I check it). That kills my motivation.
It's very hot there(they do their best, it's too hot outside), I feel terrible sweating. I just do the exercises or especially run and wait when I can stop it. Counting each second. A few times I left a few minutes earlier(then the next day I feel guilty for it and set a faster speed for running and become bored even more faster). I feel it's not right, I tried auidobooks/music, it doesn't help. If only I lost at least one damned kilo. A half of kilo.
I used to go to a climbing hall and I liked it but it's not an option anymore, a gym seems to be the only.

The same is with my learning - I can't get a result, I should learn faster to get a result as if I learn one thing there appear 5 more that are necessary for a career. I failed 5 interview, I'm afraid to send my CV somewhere else.
And I can't get motivated at my current work, it's so routine I spend a lot of time just sitting, staring in a screen and waiting when the time is over. I'd better do smth more useful in this time but I think it's not right so I try to focus on my work but in fact do nothing.

I don't know maybe I'm too lazy but I'm always in hurry and when I'm doing nothing(like waiting a bus or drinking a coffee) I also count the seconds as time goes and I always feel like I'm lating.
And it also kills my motivation for everything as I can't moove faster.

^ Yeah me too. There's just something deep inside of me that says, get off your ass and do it! If it wasn't for that I would do nothing because I don't have to any more. I often wonder if/when that'll go away. I sure hope it doesn't.

^Lucky you are to like such the things.
I think I'd like to stay active just not this way ( I like swimming, hiking, x-c skiing and a lot of other things that I can't afford for now.

And this hot red face of mine and completely wet t-shirt make me mad ))

Latest posts

Back