'Selfie-obsessed' generation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hardly ever take selfies but thats because I'm not really interested in having a bunch of photos of just me. The only time I really use my camera is to take photos of my family or if the dog is doing something really cute, which she usually is :)
I dont mind being in photos either I just prefer to be with other people in them. Its nice to have photos for the memories but like I said I dont really need a bunch of photos of just me. But if other people feel differently and want to take a million and one photos of just themself then thats fine, it doesnt bother me, if thats what they want and it makes them happy, why not? :)

Takes all points of view I suppose. One persons "I just want to take pictures of myself as a means to fight cruel centuries of oppression against women!" is anothers "I'm a narcissist and see nothing wrong with society celebrating what is generally considered a self centered bad thing!"

All in all, they are JUST photos. Doesn't matter if someone else took them or you took them yourself. It's not different than someone posting pics of their kids or the food they eat or the scenery they see. If you don't like them, don't look at them. If it's facebook, set them to acquaintance and you won't see them in your newsfeed.

There's nothing you can do about it, so just stop caring.

By the responses I got to my post its pretty clear I did a poor job conveying my thoughts. I know the thread has the word selfie in it (I have nothing against selfies) but I kinda hijacked it to talk about something that I had been thinking about recently which is the girls that have literally thousands of pictures of just themselves sitting in their rooms wearing hardly any clothes, tits on show and so on. Major league attention seekers that then complain when they get "unwanted" attention lol "I know I'm dressed provocatively but I never meant to provoke anyone derp"

Why did I want to talk about that? cos reasons get over it.

Disaffected said:
By the responses I got to my post its pretty clear I did a poor job conveying my thoughts. I know the thread has the word selfie in it (I have nothing against selfies) but I kinda hijacked it to talk about something that I had been thinking about recently which is the girls that have literally thousands of pictures of just themselves sitting in their rooms wearing hardly any clothes, tits on show and so on. Major league attention seekers that then complain when they get "unwanted" attention lol "I know I'm dressed provocatively but I never meant to provoke anyone derp"

Hold on just a moment!

This line of thinking makes me mad-not many things make me mad!

I will dress in any way I goddamn please which may on occassion mean dressing in what some may consider a 'provocative' manner, this DOES NOT give anyone the right to give unwanted attentions in my direction!

Furthermore-no matter what a female wears or how she looks there is NEVER AN EXCUSE for men to act in any way that is threatening or abusive towards her!

Are you really that stupid? Or just not thinking things through?

Alma lost her spoon said:
Disaffected said:

Hold on just a moment!

This line of thinking makes me mad-not many things make me mad!

I will dress in any way I goddamn please which may on occassion mean dressing in what some may consider a 'provocative' manner, this DOES NOT give anyone the right to give unwanted attentions in my direction!

Furthermore-no matter what a female wears or how she looks there is NEVER AN EXCUSE for men to act in any way that is threatening or abusive towards her!

Are you really that stupid? Or just not thinking things through?

Who said anything about abuse?

"Unwanted attention" is what many people would call abuse. And it kind of is. The fact that you used other words changes nothing.

Ymir said:
"Unwanted attention" is what many people would call abuse. And it kind of is.

By that logic politely stop abusing me :)

Ymir said:
The fact that you used other words changes nothing.

I couldn't disagree more, language is everything.

Disaffected said:
Ymir said:

Ymir said:

You were saying "unwanted attention" meaning sexual harassment. Which does not in any way equate me saying what you say is offensive without ever insulting you personally. False equivalence.

Yet again you are misinterpreting and strawmanning. Language is everything but two expressions CAN describe the very same thing. Of course "unwanted attention" meaning unasked for sexual harassment sounds better to your ears than "abuse". But it is abuse, and it doesn't stop being just because you are extremely inconsiderate of women's feelings.

Disaffected said:
Ymir said:

Ymir said:

You were saying "unwanted attention" meaning sexual harassment. Which does not in any way equate me saying what you say is offensive without ever insulting you personally.

Yet again you are misinterpreting and strawmanning. Language is everything but two expressions CAN describe the very same thing. Of course "unwanted attention" meaning unasked for sexual harassment sounds better to your ears than "abuse". But it is abuse, and it doesn't stop being just because you are extremely inconsiderate of women's feelings.

Ymir said:
Disaffected said:
Ymir said:

Ymir said:

You were saying "unwanted attention" meaning sexual harassment. Which does not in any way equate me saying what you say is offensive without ever insulting you personally.

No. Me saying unwanted attention means.... wait for it..... unwanted attention (attention that's unwanted)

You for whatever are jumping to the conclusion that its sexual harassment and are claiming that's what I mean by "unwanted attention" (you're strawmanning me here)

In fact all I've been met with in this thread is strawman and ad hominem attacks.

I am not that big of taking pictures of myself and sharing them with everyone else but i do see that people enjoy to do that and i think its kinda nice that they want to share there lives with others, the internet at one time was a fairly isolated place and now people can connect and talk, see and learn about other peoples lives if they want too no matter the distance.
Which to me is a good thing and part of the modern world, its also a nice way to keep in contact with relatives and see how there lives are going have a little chat and see some of the day to day stuff they are doing through pictures.

Plus why not take pictures of yourself if you want to, everyone wants to feel good about themselves and if you look good in a picture i don't see that as a bad thing that they share it i don't have to spend my time looking at other peoples lives if i don't want to.

Minus said:
28ksyg6.jpg

1839 self-portrait

I am not seeing it as new technology as such.

What puzzles me is the shift from handing the camera to someone else to have the picture taken to taking it yourself. It used to be that if you wanted a picture of yourself in front of the Great Pyramid to document your trip, then you handed the camera to a friend or even a stranger and asked them to take a picture.

While people have always taken pictures of themselves, for various reasons, it wasn't the norm. If you felt the need for the photo, you have someone else do it. They even sold a metal pole years back that would hold the camera and push the button but remain out of frame, advertised as so people viewing the photo could not tell that it was a self taken photo.

Maybe there was concern that a self taken photograph would come across as vain or at least show that a person didn't have anyone to push the button for them.

There does seem to be a change in how these self photographs are viewed. The first time i came across an instance where a self taken photograph was the preferred method was in the early days of Myspace. Maybe it just matched what the person seeing. Now it is so common that it would appear that people decided it needed it's own special label.

Interesting! I just saw the same photo last week while researching early photography on Wikipedia. I want to say that's Da Guerre but I think it's another man who was also involved in inventing photography. Back then, photography was expensive, exposures took minutes and there was no deleting photos because you didn't get precisely the right angle to show your best side that day. You got what you got and that was IT.

-Teresa

Disaffected said:
By the responses I got to my post its pretty clear I did a poor job conveying my thoughts. I know the thread has the word selfie in it (I have nothing against selfies) but I kinda hijacked it to talk about something that I had been thinking about recently which is the girls that have literally thousands of pictures of just themselves sitting in their rooms wearing hardly any clothes, tits on show and so on.

Which is exactly why I see social media with a jaded eye. Teenagers and young adults (which I was once and my kid will be someday) do not need to be posting pictures of their junk and their boobs hanging out yet that rubbish happens all the time. Hence my comment about paying more attention to snapchat, instagram or whatever is in fashion in a few years.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Interesting! I just saw the same photo last week while researching early photography on Wikipedia. I want to say that's Da Guerre but I think it's another man who was also involved in inventing photography.

You have good instincts. That man in the photo is an amateur chemist, named Robert Cornelius. He was testing out his photograph equipment, removed the lens cap, ran to a chair and sat down for a minute, then ran back to cover the lens.

It is claimed to be the very first photograph of a human being, although I cannot substantiate that as a fact.

SofiasMami said:
Minus said:
28ksyg6.jpg

1839 self-portrait

I am not seeing it as new technology as such.

What puzzles me is the shift from handing the camera to someone else to have the picture taken to taking it yourself. It used to be that if you wanted a picture of yourself in front of the Great Pyramid to document your trip, then you handed the camera to a friend or even a stranger and asked them to take a picture.

While people have always taken pictures of themselves, for various reasons, it wasn't the norm. If you felt the need for the photo, you have someone else do it. They even sold a metal pole years back that would hold the camera and push the button but remain out of frame, advertised as so people viewing the photo could not tell that it was a self taken photo.

Maybe there was concern that a self taken photograph would come across as vain or at least show that a person didn't have anyone to push the button for them.

There does seem to be a change in how these self photographs are viewed. The first time i came across an instance where a self taken photograph was the preferred method was in the early days of Myspace. Maybe it just matched what the person seeing. Now it is so common that it would appear that people decided it needed it's own special label.

Interesting! I just saw the same photo last week while researching early photography on Wikipedia. I want to say that's Da Guerre but I think it's another man who was also involved in inventing photography. Back then, photography was expensive, exposures took minutes and there was no deleting photos because you didn't get precisely the right angle to show your best side that day. You got what you got and that was IT.

-Teresa

Disaffected said:
By the responses I got to my post its pretty clear I did a poor job conveying my thoughts. I know the thread has the word selfie in it (I have nothing against selfies) but I kinda hijacked it to talk about something that I had been thinking about recently which is the girls that have literally thousands of pictures of just themselves sitting in their rooms wearing hardly any clothes, tits on show and so on.

Which is exactly why I see social media with a jaded eye. Teenagers and young adults (which I was once and my kid will be someday) do not need to be posting pictures of their junk and their boobs hanging out yet that rubbish happens all the time. Hence my comment about paying more attention to snapchat, instagram or whatever is in fashion in a few years.

-Teresa

I was beginning to think it was impossible for people to read what I wrote and reply to the actual words without misinterpreting them wildly and going crazy with caps lock, I now know my drink wasn't spiked and I'm not having some weird Groundhog Day nightmare.

Thank you, goodnight.

Latest posts

Back