'Selfie-obsessed' generation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Badjedidude said:
WildernessWildChild said:
Isn't this where BJD runs interference?

CUDDLY ANIMALS TO THE RESCUE

baby+squirrel.jpg

129153126755544301.jpg

2459766_orig.jpg

cute-baby-animals-3.jpg

AWESOME- I new you'd come through

+1

Disaffected said:
So many girls are addicted to taking pictures of themselves looking like cheap whores these days.

Men can be addicted to selfies as well and lots of men look like cheap whores.

Well, the hallmarks of the so-called "millenial" generation are rampant narcissism and a distinct lack of empathy for anyone besides yourself.

Social media has only exacerbated these traits.

TheSkaFish said:
I don't think this generation is any more narcissistic than any of the previous ones.
I just don't like all the Gen-Y or "Millennial" bashing that goes on. As if we are just the dumbest, laziest, most selfish generation to have ever existed. It's just not true.

^ I agree.

Generational bashing isn't new either. Every generation thinks the succeeding generation is worse than they are.

Boomers Vs. Millennials: You're More Alike Than You Think

SarcasticJuan said:
One thing I thought of, how long have camera phones been out? Or webcams? how long has the camera been out for!? Hundreds of years!

Not that long really.

A hundred years ago the general population didn't own their own cameras and photos were very expensive, so expensive that most people could only afford to have one or two taken in their lifetime. (I just watched a documentary about this, lol.) Even prior to the digital age, which didn't start that long ago either, you had to pay for the film (or disposable camera, what have you), take your film somewhere to be developed, and pay for that too. (Not as expensive as it once was, but still an inconvenience.) Now that is no longer necessary. As long as you own a camera (which you could hardly even avoid anymore if you wanted to), you don't have to pay and your photos are right there, instantaneously. You don't even have to print, scan, or send them to yourself or others to share them anymore. All you have to do is "upload". Photos are more accessible than they've ever been.

(I like parentheses.) :p

I don't like pictures of myself, so I don't take "selfies". I don't even use the word "selfie", I still say "taking a picture of myself".

Anything else I was going to say was already pointed out by Case, BJD and others.

Latest posts

Back