Should a person put their kids before their partner?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that when I become a parent someday, I'll naturally put the child first. A child's mind isn't as developed thus a lot of attention should be put into caring for the child to ensure that he/she has the knowledge and capability to live contently in this world. I assume that the father of my child would know how to take care of himself. I'd love both my kids and their father equally, though of course; I'd just be more worried about my developing child.

I don't have any, but I don't think there's a clear cut yes/no answer. Personally I think it depends!

I'll just quote my response from the Spring:

EveWasFramed said:
A childs "needs" should always come first - that's our job as a parent. I guess each parent decides how we define "need."
I subscribe to BALANCE when it comes to relationships and children.

Gutted said:
I would like to think that it's right for partners to value eachother and their children equally. After all, it took them both to make a child.

^^This. Although I will never have children, I'd agree with this. = Balance.

I'd favor my children's lives/happiness/well-being over my partner's.

Why?

Because my partner is a grown-ass adult and will probably be able to take care of herself no matter what happens. Children, however, don't come equipped with the skills to successfully survive in the world on their own. If my partner doesn't have the capability to look after herself, then... why the fresia is she even my partner? Why the fresia did I have kids with her?

Yeah, I'd definitely put my kids before my partner.

And I'd expect her to do the same.

(This is assuming that some conflict comes up between us that forces such a choice. In reality, I'm not sure an issue like this would ever come up. I'd hope that both my partner and I were capable of finding it in ourselves to love each other and our children equally.)

it is a no-brainer..
it's not something we have to think about. your kids are a part of you. created by you and should feel as if they are a part of you in every respect. your partner is simply your partner. even if its a soul mate or the only person you have ever been close to, it still can't compare to a child.

This poster gave the best answer. :D

Bones said:
For some reason, almost no one understand my philosophy on this. I believe the SOs should give 100% to each other. If you do this, by default, the needs of everyone in the "family unit" are met and the love flows from top to bottom.

Bones 2.0 said:
This poster gave the best answer. :D

Bones said:
For some reason, almost no one understand my philosophy on this. I believe the SOs should give 100% to each other. If you do this, by default, the needs of everyone in the "family unit" are met and the love flows from top to bottom.

:club: Welcome back, Bones, lol.

Latest posts

Back