What does it mean to be alive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isthatso

Trannie
Reaction score
After seeing my partner slowly die last year.
I ask myself a lot of questions.
Is this life all there is? Where am I headed?
Should I be concerned how I will be remembered?
Should I seek meaning?
Should I work hard?
Should I get involved in a religious community?
How will I cope with a verdict of cancer?
Who will look after me?
Should I be worried?
Is my life valuable?
What kind of people should I hang round with?

According to my knowledge love is the only known antidote to death ... to find comfort and some answers it's good to choose yourself a couple of teachers who suit your personality and whom to love like they were alive and friends of yours ... mine are Viktor Frankl, Albert Ellis, Bertrand Russell and Immanuel Kant (updated)

According to my knowledge love is the only known antidote to death ... to find comfort and some answers it's good to choose yourself a couple of teachers who suit your personality and whom to love like they were alive and friends of yours ... mine are Viktor Frankl, Albert Ellis, Bertrand Russell and Immanuel Kant (updated)
Of those I know Frankl best. Ellis vaguely. Not sure about the last two.
If love means freedom from fear and anxiety, then that is very good news.

Dostoyevsky was my teacher for a while. But we all need to be careful not to make anyone our guru.
I liked Jordan Peterson for a while. Then I gradually saw his flaws.

You came into this world knowing that you would leave it someday - its like if someone gave you a triple scoop chocolate ice cream - you don't reject it just because you know itll be gone in a few minutes. No, you savour every lick!

The same applies to life - savour each small moment and dont worry about the end.

It's different to everybody, the meaning, point and punchline of life.
There's no singular answer to that.

You came into this world knowing that you would leave it someday - its like if someone gave you a triple scoop chocolate ice cream - you don't reject it just because you know itll be gone in a few minutes. No, you savour every lick!

The same applies to life - savour each small moment and dont worry about the end.
Did I ?
People "know" they are going to die someday, but are they really conscious of it? We do everything we can to distract ourselves from the thought of dying and death.
We pretend we are going to live forever. Youth gives us the illusion of being immortal Greek gods. Unless we have some tragedy.
Tragedy can be a blessing sometimes. Waking us up to the transitory nature of our lives

Let us know what answers you come up with
This is interesting. Because it might be a good example of misinterpretation.
If I take this comment as harmless and positive, ok fair enough I guess.
But can you see how it might be taken the wrong way?
Wouldn't an appropriate comment in regard to losing my wife, be more commonsense?
That was probably my expectation. An acknowledgement at least.
Anyway, I found your comment insensitive.
But to be fair to you, people have called me oversensitive. So you do have a case I admit.
Now...have I made a mountain out of a molehill?
I don't think grief is a molehill. My wife was my meaning of life. I have no kids. I am struggling now to find meaning. As it seems we all are on this forum.

This is interesting. Because it might be a good example of misinterpretation.
If I take this comment as harmless and positive, ok fair enough I guess.
But can you see how it might be taken the wrong way?
Wouldn't an appropriate comment in regard to losing my wife, be more commonsense?
That was probably my expectation. An acknowledgement at least.
Anyway, I found your comment insensitive.
But to be fair to you, people have called me oversensitive. So you do have a case I admit.
Now...have I made a mountain out of a molehill?
I don't think grief is a molehill. My wife was my meaning of life. I have no kids. I am struggling now to find meaning. As it seems we all are on this forum.
ok, i could've been more compassionate. my belated condolences to you. to be honest my mind focused on the questions and just dismissed the opening line. i'm sorry for that. as for my comment being taken the wrong way, I'm not sure why it should be unless you're reading more into it than the words that are written there, which seems to be a common practice on the internet these days. as for expectations, i've been told numerous times to stop have them. i do maybe sound a bit harsh in my manner, but i think it's a result of my turmoil, and i struggle these days to be empathetic.

ok, i could've been more compassionate. my belated condolences to you. to be honest my mind focused on the questions and just dismissed the opening line. i'm sorry for that. as for my comment being taken the wrong way, I'm not sure why it should be unless you're reading more into it than the words that are written there, which seems to be a common practice on the internet these days. as for expectations, i've been told numerous times to stop have them. i do maybe sound a bit harsh in my manner, but i think it's a result of my turmoil, and i struggle these days to be empathetic.
Great post. Let's move on from this.

I admit that I don't share your questions. However, our life experiences, beliefs and philosophies are probably very different in the first place. I don't mean to criticise or offend you in any way. And I don't claim to be right.

I give myself 2 or 3 years to tidy up my life and to say my goodbyes. For me living is to continue, to enjoy what I have, to enjoy my work, to cherish my passions, to keep learning something new and really probably the most importantly to look after those around me, prepare them and minimise the pain related to my end, and to hope they will be alright without me.

For me personally there's no meaning to life beyond what we assign to it ourselves.

give myself 2 or 3 years to tidy up my life and to say my goodbyes
Should I be concerned? I feel I should.
Yet I may have similar intentions now.
Maybe one day, suicide will be socially acceptable. And we can do it under medical supervision.

After seeing my partner slowly die last year.
I ask myself a lot of questions.
Is this life all there is? Where am I headed?
Should I be concerned how I will be remembered?
Should I seek meaning?
Should I work hard?
Should I get involved in a religious community?
How will I cope with a verdict of cancer?
Who will look after me?
Should I be worried?
Is my life valuable?
What kind of people should I hang round with?
Hi there, I am so sorry to read about the loss of your partner. I can only imagine how hard that must be for you. I just wanted to post a link for this absolutely fascinating video that I literally just finished watching. Anthony Chene conducts these beautifully made and highly fascinating interviews with people who have had N.D.E. (Near Death Experiences) and this one with Dr Mary Helen Hensley, is by far the most illuminative and engrossing story that I've ever heard. I found it to be quite comforting too and I hope it might alleviate some of your concerns, even if it's just briefly.

I hope anyone else that happens to read this might enjoy it too. I will leave the link underneath - just type in the word 'interview' for the password.

The near-death experience of Dr. Mary Helen Hensley​

-

Hi there, I am so sorry to read about the loss of your partner. I can only imagine how hard that must be for you. I just wanted to post a link for this absolutely fascinating video that I literally just finished watching. Anthony Chene conducts these beautifully made and highly fascinating interviews with people who have had N.D.E. (Near Death Experiences) and this one with Dr Mary Helen Hensley, is by far the most illuminative and engrossing story that I've ever heard. I found it to be quite comforting too and I hope it might alleviate some of your concerns, even if it's just briefly.

I hope anyone else that happens to read this might enjoy it too. I will leave the link underneath - just type in the word 'interview' for the password.

The near-death experience of Dr. Mary Helen Hensley​

-

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back