Should I keep playing video games with my friend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
So if you look at my past posts about my friends who have been giving me BS recently, you'll know that my friends haven't been talking to me in a while. Whenever I ask them to hangout, they seem to be "busy". When one of them asked me to come to a football game, they kept changing their minds until they finally told me no. It should've been a no in the first place because APPARENTLY, they had a homework assignment to complete all along.

Friends A-D I like to call them. None of them really talk to me anymore. From what I hear even Friend D has moved on with a different group of friends. Not sure if this is true but it's what i hear. Out of all these friends, only me, Friend A and B have PS3's.

So I regularly play over the weekend. Even though these friends never ask me to hangout with them in person like they used to, it's so intriguing how they will always have time to play video games with me. Friend A always picks up his phone when it comes to getting on and playing some COD. Friend B asked Friend A to play and when he couldn't, the only person he had left was me. Even though we had an argument over text, he acted like nothing happened and asked me to play online with him. I declined however.

I still play with Friend A regularly, but do you guys think I should continue to do so? I feel like he's just playing with me because I'm the only one who plays online? The only reason I play video games this much is because I really have NOTHING else to do. I used to hangout with friends a lot outside but now that they don't even talk to me anymore, I just play video games. Plus, my mom works on weekends, and I can't go anywhere anyways since I have to watch my little brother.

What are your thoughts? I honestly don't like playing video games. I know it's not the best thing to do but I still do it since I have absolutely nothing else to do lol. I feel like it's better than doing drugs (weed) like other people will do outside of school. The fact that my friends rarely talk to me or respond when I ask to hangout in person but still play with me when they need someone to play PS3 with me feels weird.

GrannySmith111 said:
So if you look at my past posts about my friends who have been giving me BS recently, you'll know that my friends haven't been talking to me in a while. Whenever I ask them to hangout, they seem to be "busy". When one of them asked me to come to a football game, they kept changing their minds until they finally told me no. It should've been a no in the first place because APPARENTLY, they had a homework assignment to complete all along.

Friends A-D I like to call them. None of them really talk to me anymore. From what I hear even Friend D has moved on with a different group of friends. Not sure if this is true but it's what i hear. Out of all these friends, only me, Friend A and B have PS3's.

So I regularly play over the weekend. Even though these friends never ask me to hangout with them in person like they used to, it's so intriguing how they will always have time to play video games with me. Friend A always picks up his phone when it comes to getting on and playing some COD. Friend B asked Friend A to play and when he couldn't, the only person he had left was me. Even though we had an argument over text, he acted like nothing happened and asked me to play online with him. I declined however.

I still play with Friend A regularly, but do you guys think I should continue to do so? I feel like he's just playing with me because I'm the only one who plays online? The only reason I play video games this much is because I really have NOTHING else to do. I used to hangout with friends a lot outside but now that they don't even talk to me anymore, I just play video games. Plus, my mom works on weekends, and I can't go anywhere anyways since I have to watch my little brother.

What are your thoughts? I honestly don't like playing video games. I know it's not the best thing to do but I still do it since I have absolutely nothing else to do lol. I feel like it's better than doing drugs (weed) like other people will do outside of school. The fact that my friends rarely talk to me or respond when I ask to hangout in person but still play with me when they need someone to play PS3 with me feels weird.

Honestly, NO. And yes, that's a big no. Ask yourself 'Why would even want to play video games with people who only want me around when it suits them?' Honestly man, forget them. Yeah video games are better than doing drugs. Always.

You can either find a game you enjoy playing alone or maybe take up another hobby like watching youtube videos, building models and so forth. But please man don't even think about letting these obvious jackasses think they have the 'upper hand'. They know what they are doing.

They are putting you in a box to unwrap you and use you when they see fit for their purposes. Ditch them completely. Yes, its hard but you have to have to grow a pair down there and have some self respect.

No, It's not nice having no real friends. I know this well, but I tell you I have my self worth and self respect in the end. Also, you DO get used to spending time alone after a while, especially when you have new hobbies. makes it easier and yeah, you even forget about it after a while.

Who knows? you'll meet new friends who WILL respect you and WILL ask you to do thins with them without sly motives and out of real Genuinity. This is what you deserve. NEVER ACCEPT ANY LESS.

What Retrospective said, you shouldn't be anyone's toy, you deserve way better than being remembered of when no one else is around. I'd normally recommend that you met new friends, but since I understand that this is not easy with you having to watch your little brother (props to you for doing that, by the way, not all big brothers care :D), I would say join a MMORPG game like World of Warcraft or League of Legends, where you can meet new people to play with online ;)

Retrospective81 said:
Honestly, NO. And yes, that's a big no. Ask yourself 'Why would even want to play video games with people who only want me around when it suits them?' Honestly man, forget them. Yeah video games are better than doing drugs. Always.

They are putting you in a box to unwrap you and use you when they see fit for their purposes. Ditch them completely. Yes, its hard but you have to have to grow a pair down there and have some self respect.

No, It's not nice having no real friends. I know this well, but I tell you I have my self worth and self respect in the end. Also, you DO get used to spending time alone after a while, especially when you have new hobbies. makes it easier and yeah, you even forget about it after a while.

Who knows? you'll meet new friends who WILL respect you and WILL ask you to do thins with them without sly motives and out of real Genuinity. This is what you deserve. NEVER ACCEPT ANY LESS.

Absolutely this. You're now a convenient acquaintance to them, nothing more. A fill-in guy for COD is about as detached as interaction gets. You don't want to let go of the facade, we understand, but cutting the last tie to these "freinds" involves no loss, not of friends, and as don't enjoy online games not of that either. On the other hand you gain in self-respect and peace of mind. No-brainer.

Hi GrannySmith - do you often ask or invite these friends to play or do things that you would like to do? It doesn't seem clear to me that they consider you a 'backup' - perhaps you could reach out to them a little more? The more you contribute, the more likely they might be to include you more as it shows them that you're enthusiastic about spending time with them.

If they decline you or make too many poor excuses when you reach out to them, then I think you will truly be able to determine your suspisions. Until then though, I would say innocent until proven guilty..

I hope this helps : )

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Are these people friends? Have you ever met them in real life?

Yes. They used to be pretty good friends. We'd hangout in person a lot even though we lived far away.

Now that i've moved closer, it seems like they don't hangout in person as much. Barely responding to texts from me or calls. Friend A, seems to always text me when he needs someone to play COD with but when I called him to ask if he was going to a football game, I got no response.

I understand what you guys are saying. Pretty convenient that I'm online when they have nobody else to play with online right? I guess then, I seem to be their only friend. Whereas when they hangout outside, my absence probably means nothing to them since they have each other.

GrannySmith111 said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

Yes. They used to be pretty good friends. We'd hangout in person a lot even though we lived far away.

Now that i've moved closer, it seems like they don't hangout in person as much. Barely responding to texts from me or calls. Friend A, seems to always text me when he needs someone to play COD with but when I called him to ask if he was going to a football game, I got no response.

I understand what you guys are saying. Pretty convenient that I'm online when they have nobody else to play with online right? I guess then, I seem to be their only friend. Whereas when they hangout outside, my absence probably means nothing to them since they have each other.

My response was somewhat cold. Of course you can be friends with someone who you've only met online.

I don't know. I don't play video games anymore, so I don't know what it's like. And I'm from the generation before WoW, where you would sit in a room with a console and play...no internet connection required.

It just sounds like they just want to be your gamer buddy. They have no interest in you, outside of the game, and you can't really call them friends for that.

Thomas] said:
Hi GrannySmith - do you often ask or invite these friends to play or do things that you would like to do? It doesn't seem clear to me that they consider you a 'backup' - perhaps you could reach out to them a little more? The more you contribute, the more likely they might be to include you more as it shows them that you're enthusiastic about spending time with them.

If they decline you or make too many poor excuses when you reach out to them, then I think you will truly be able to determine your suspisions. Until then though, I would say innocent until proven guilty..

I hope this helps : )

Yeah I've tried numerous times to reach out to them and ask if they wanna hangout. Most recent being the football game a couple weeks ago. They actually asked me but the problem is, they woudl NEVER give me a definite answer of whether or not they were going. They would change their minds between yes/no or just not give me an answer. I kept asking and asking until one of them finally told me no because apparently there was a homework assignment all of them needed to work on. I got pretty furious since obviously, they should've known about such a thing way before the day of the game. What made me more furious was the fact one of my friends told me "I really want to go, I just don't wanna bring my little brother". That turned out to be a load of crap lol.

So since then, I have rarely spoken to them about hanging out and neither have they. It's funny how even after our argument, Friend A acts like nothing happened when we play online. When the servers were apparently down, Friend B messaged me to ask me about it. Like I said I don't like playing PS3 that much. I'd much prefer them to hangout in person and if all they wanna do is play PS3 with me and hangout without me, there's no point in playing PS3 with them at all.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
GrannySmith111 said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

My response was somewhat cold. Of course you can be friends with someone who you've only met online.

I don't know. I don't play video games anymore, so I don't know what it's like. And I'm from the generation before WoW, where you would sit in a room with a console and play...no internet connection required.

It just sounds like they just want to be your gamer buddy. They have no interest in you, outside of the game, and you can't really call them friends for that.

I've not only met them online, I've known them in person for a while. We used to all go to the same school.

I guess they've lost interest with hanging out in person because it seems like they never want to hangout with me anymore. Probably because they all have each other anyways.

Latest posts

Back