Shouldn't we simply forget about romanticism?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FPL2014

Reaction score
Hi there new user from Brazil here

I'm not going to introduce myself here...I'm the shy type of guy even on the internet...all I need to say is that I have been reading some posts here and I share most of the feelings which permeate this place: anxiety, depression, solitude, suicidal feelings, etc, and that I'm a gay man of 32, which means that I have LONG suffered with such psychological issues.

What I wanted to discuss in this thread is a thing that I have observed frequently in myself and in many others, and even in some threads I have read here: that is, how much we tend to complain about our loneliness and lack of affection, when in fact we do not realize how utterlly deluded we are about real life relationships...that is, about how real life relationships actually work.

Thanks to a inner feeling of solitude, we tend to believe that what causes our malaise is the absence of a partner (and, believe me, this occurs very frequently with gay people too, no matter what you might have heard) and then we create in our minds, with the aid of some typical stereotypes, a mental picture of what a relationship. ..and a partner...should be.

It's no surprise we NEVER meet, online or offline, such partners...since they exist only in our minds.

What happens is that we ignore that things are not easy for real life couples. They are not always as happy as they appear in their FB pictures. They have a lot of problems, and many a time one can hardly stand the other when things go wrong. "All is well that ends well" only works in fairy tales. People often get sick of each other after a one or two year relationship. Because such a time is enough for them to realize that they made a wrong choice...and that the perfect companion they saw in their minds disappeared in the weariness of everyday life.

What I can say about this is that I am a VERY lonely man and I would REALLY like to find a partner. However, I don't want to find a perfect partner.I want to find someone I can talk to. I want to find someone to spend some time with me. I want to find a person who's willing to teach me some things, and to learn whatever I can teach him. I do not expect beauty or physical perfection anymore, because this is simply shallow. And, most importantly, I do not expect a perfect relationship, because I want to share my life with a human being, not with an idealized character.

Awesome first post man!

You know how in movies they preach about the power of love and how it overcomes all.Love is perfect.Love is superior.In the movies relationships are perfect and no matter what couples face the power of love solves all problems and the couple lives happily ever after in the land of dream and romance.

Well.. f--king bullshit.

When we're lonely we tend to fall easily for people because we crave the affection and attention that ''normal'' people get.

But are we really,truely falling in love? Especially when we consider every girl we meet a soul mate? Are we falling in love with people or the way we want them to be? It's the latter.We create some bullshit soul-mate love story in our heads.The girl is perfect,the relationship will be perfect.. but what happens when you snap back to reality?

Well.. it turns out the ''soulmate'' isn't quite the person you imagined her to be and your relationship is failing.What are you gonna do? Keep dreaming? That isn't going to solve anything.

There are bonds way more powerful than hollywood puppy love.Like friendship and trust.

I was a dreamer before (sadly I still am.. kinda).When I got into my first real relationship I realized.. well.. sh-t,nothing is perfect and it's a two way street.You gotta set aside your differences and make it work.

My ideal partner would be a close friend (with some ''extras'' of course - you know what I mean) - so there's trust and respect,foundations of a good relationship.Without those two,love and romance alone won't survive.

Hello FPL2014, firstly - welcome to the forum.

And I get what you're saying, I do hope that you can find someone ideally like that for you. Good luck. :)

I'm going to say something that comes directly from Carl Jung's stuff, so to be taken as what it's worth for (psychology evolved a lot since then) - but his definition of "Sophia" (wisdom) is the realization that "one single entity will never fulfill all of one's desires" (not simply applicable to love but rather to anything).

Are we deluded about Romance? Most certainly. I could write a lot about this but it's not necessarily a topic that would be very popular here I believe.

Human said:
I'm going to say something that comes directly from Carl Jung's stuff, so to be taken as what it's worth for (psychology evolved a lot since then) - but his definition of "Sophia" (wisdom) is the realization that "one single entity will never fulfill all of one's desires" (not simply applicable to love but rather to anything).

Are we deluded about Romance? Most certainly. I could write a lot about this but it's not necessarily a topic that would be very popular here I believe.

I'd like to know what you have to say about this subject, my friend. Specially if you admire C. G. Jung.

FPL2014 said:
I'd like to know what you have to say about this subject, my friend. Specially if you admire C. G. Jung.

Ah, well it'd be my pleasure then, but I hope I'm not going to offend anyone with this... also I'm going to take things that are also from Hillman, Aristotle, Lewis Carroll and possibly even Aleister Crowley (and not just Carl Jung, mostly because he stereotyped girls and guys a bit too much while Hillman embraces diversity).

At the first stage of maturity, one is attracted to another's body. There is very little to say there, we've all been through puberty, tho some may deny having such an immature stage in life - it's simply a normal form of curiosity. It is not very moral to demonize one's natural healthy physical desires.

At the second stage of maturity, one is attracted to "someone who can understand them". Romance comes into play in this part. If you are someone very logical, you are thus going to be attracted to someone's capacities to understand (logically) - competences. For those who are very emotional, they are going to be attracted to romance. Romance is ultimately the same thing for emotions - it is the capacity to understand the emotional need of those people who are very emotional. Now one problem already comes into play there - that is "Romantic people" tend to want someone else who is romantic, but at this point the "need of romance" becomes similar to wanting a mirror. Normally the idea is that romance and competence allows people of different minds (logical/emotional) to communicate together. When both are translating their thoughts into romance, neither are really communicating - it becomes an act, a play. Yet obviously, those who are "romantic" do need to ask for something in return - it's not fair for one person to give and the other to receive entirely, but the idea is to seek an equivalent exchange. Ultimately one should probably see romance as a "translator" in order to reach others who have a hard time voicing their own emotions. It's supposed to be a form of empathy that allows someone to understand and support the emotional need of the other, emotional person who has a hard time to voice their own emotions. The biggest problem of modern romance is that it became an "act" that is based on a lot of preconception (while it is supposed to be a form of adaptation). Such an act isn't even qualified to be considered romance in the strict sense - someone undergoing such an act isn't even understanding the other, but simply believes that by following such a "guidebook" they can "win the other" and generally expect a "guidebook reaction in return". There is certainly no guidebook in love.

Ultimately at this level one is still actually unable to truly see the other as a "person" in the strict sense. Maturity goes when you actually start to understand each other as actual "people" rather then simply "someone of the opposite gender" (tho in your case it probably plays out a bit differently, but something similar should happen there) - this also influence the vision of other non romantic people, especially the difference between a children's view of adults as unchanging personas into viewing them as actual people. You mentioned something about teaching in your OP, this is pretty much related to the "third stage", that comes before the final level of maturity - the difference being that at this stage you know exactly what you're looking for, but you (anyone) need to lower your own expectations/accept the other for who they are and/or use each other in order to better understand the self - some people are more prone to understand others through the self and some to understand the self through others.

Now the modern definition of romance tend to be deeply tied to Agape. Going to try to explain this rapidly - but agape is ultimately "paternal love" (or parental love in the largest sense) - a blind selfless love that sacrifices the self to the other - which makes some level of sense when you talk about a parent to a child (and sadly doesn't always do so). A common misconception is that "eros" (one's specific desires, the difference between "I want someone" and "I want that person") is bad and that "agape" is good, but ultimately both are actually driven entirely by instincts (even animals sacrifices themselves at time for their children and the very act of childbirth is very much tied into this) and from my pov are basically the yin and yang of each other - you want to give selfless love contains the "you want" part, meaning it is ultimately not too different form Eros, and it's hard to have Agape without realizing one's Eros. These being instinctive forces, they aren't actually the result of one's true Thelema (will/mental energy).

Now Im going to move on to something a bit different, but basically the saying goes that "An unhappy marriage is not one that is lacking love, but one that is lacking friendship" and it's pretty much the point there. Philia (perhaps closer to fellowship) is the love that ancients until the renaissance were strongly seeking and saw as the ultimate form of "love" (tho not the most powerful) because it is exactly the result of one's Thelema (meaning it's a fully conscious choice) and also can only exist and grow through years of connection with someone and learning to accept their goods and bads - something that can be viewed as "taming each other". It is the very act of taming that makes such a bond so strong and valuable - and it is something that has been lost since around the renaissance.

Why was Philia lost? Overall it goes around the Aeon of Osiris (the era of paternal gods, which isn't exclusive to monotheistic religions) which roughly began 2500 years B.C. and slowly spread around the world - now it's not the religious movements that created this lost of Philia but rather the lost of religion itself. Once the faith started to vanish, people still desired that Agape that they received from the paternal gods previously as a result of the underlaying culture not changing. Since these gods are often very close to being human in nature, people started to desire this from another human instead of a spiritual being or a parent (current society's lack of familial values certainly doesn't help this but this is another topic entirely). As the need from Agape raised from each other, which is the modern form of Romance, the quality of Philia was gradually lost and especially in very modern times became a kind of "shopping mall" where people reject each other constantly in order to find someone who would fulfill all of one's desires - the lack of "Sophia" I mentioned earlier - this both gradually made love and friendship a hard thing to have in it's old form of "fellowship", and the increasing loneliness it created even for married people have actually increased the eros/agape relation and importance - increasing deception of each other and constantly raising the bar.

We have currently often reached a point where most people desire Agape while being completely desire dominated (modern capitalism really doesn't help this, but this is another topic again), making critic of each other far more constant. People tend to constantly polish the romance they desire from someone else while seldom looking at the self, believing in return that they want "someone who accepts me for who I am" often while never looking at the self (simply believing that they are inherently deserving it) and actually being quite critical of the others - not accepting others for who they are - and being often dominated by self-justification. Philia dies, Agape becomes something we expect, not want to give, even Eros vanishes - leaving people to only "want" in a broad generic way and never finding someone that specifically fits all of their specific polished desires, often born of fictional romance, and being in despair and drama over the world's inability to equal one-sided fiction. In order to escape loneliness, often continues to watch and/or read fiction where perfect romance exists, often missing out the point that what makes fictional relationship so great is their Philia based nature.

So if you (anyone) want to be happy in any form of relationship, the advice I should give would be to learn to tame each other, which I believe some people on this board successfully have done from what I have seen on Skype chat (congradulation people~) at least as far as friendship goes. It's the efforts and time spent together that makes it all more golden. Be less judgemental, try to understand each other, and understand your own true will, that surpass instincts, so you know what you are looking for, and do not expect a single relationship to fulfill all of your emotional needs. More importantly, if you want someone to truly accept you for who you are, you first need to learn to do so yourself, that is actually looking at your own self.

I'll finish by saying that as time progress, people have been gradually growing from "partenership" to instead a sort of "wanting your own reflection in the mirror", making romance even more twisted. Obviously kinship is an important part of one's emotional needs, but it shouldn't be confused with the teamwork that a couple requires in order to properly function. You do not become a doctor in the hope of receiving another doctor as patient and asking them to heal you in return - this is that kind of thing. Going back to Agape, two people cannot give Agape to each other, such a love would be the most blind and foolish kind of love where both would be destroying each other for each other, and certainly wouldn't produce any happiness. Romance evolved, but starting in the renaissance onward one should realize that the essence of fictional romance became Drama, not happiness, and that the word "romance" itself has the same root as the french word for "novel" (roman). It has often turned romance into a "dramatic mind game" where one is expecting a lot of things that someone should do for the other in the name of love (if s/he really loves me, s/he'd do X or Y). Immaturity is normal, and people should forgive themselves and each other for it, no one is born wise, but most definitively what should be encouraged is reaching the higher levels of acceptations of each other and the self, which is something that takes time. Most definitively, if anyone was to be using what I just wrote while assuming they are at the peak of this in order to critic others (rather then helping them reach that level), then one definitively has lost the point entirely. This is a "guide" for improvement of the self and relationships, but ultimately the most important thing I could ever say is that love does not have anything like a guide - the true will lies much above that, and there is no such thing as a guide to "discard the guide" which has been provided by fictional romance.

Again, hoping I didn't offend anyone too much through all of this. My goal is for people to actually reach understanding of each other, but I am aware this is a lot of very touchy topics.

The hell of a great post, man. Thanks for sharing this.

I don't have the time now (and, shall I confess, the capacity) to address all the good points you made here. I can pretty much identify myself as the stereotypically romantic guy (even tho I'm gay- mind you), and that's why I love Jung- just like him, I like to see things in a broader, more profound, more beautiful light. I'm working hard on this by now, tho. After being HUGELY deluded by a situation I create entirely in my head, I'm seeking therapy to learn to connect with reality in a more "practical" manner. I'm willing to abandon my last romantic illusions about life, love and people.

However, I don't want and I can't be a machine like individual who sees everything mechanically determined like the pieces of a clock. I intend to preserve my power to imagine, my fantasy filled imagination. I just want to take people from there. I don't want to delude myself about others anymore, that's all.

If you know some books and/or sites which specifically address the subjects you've touched upon here, feel free to cite them. I'll be looking forward to read more from you at this forum in the future.

Well I'm glad if this managed in a way or another to have create reflexion, keep in mind tho I am not saying romance is inherently bad, but rather that it should be understood for what it is. This shouldn't be confused with "living life itself in a romantic way" which I personally think is the greatest thing one could ever achieve. In a broad way "philosophy" is not simply about accepting the conclusions of great thinkers but to make you think yourself - as thus I actually favour Nietzsche over all others because he does just that (forces you to reach your own interpretation and conclusions rather then just tell you conclusions).

If you actually want to read something I could suggest a very simple story - The Little Prince of Antoine de St-Exupery. Simply said it's the story of someone who, while alone and stuck in the desert, finally finds their inner child again and reconnects with their lost self. I believe this may be fitting of you from what you've said. It's written like a child story, but is aimed at adults. It's not very Jungian tho - because Jung believed people grew up in life, while this story and Hillman I mentioned believes one "grows down" in life and needs to find again their lost inner child where one's soul and will truly lies. I really admire Jung myself, but well not trying to contradict you but Carl Jung is more "guidebook" then what I've been saying in my previous post (or now). He'd say romance is "the second stage of the development of Animus" where "women will recognize men as a romantic man of action" which feels a bit more mechanical to me then what I've been saying.

One's true will (thelema) is very tied down to one's' imagination, so definitively do not lose such a thing. Understanding the mechanics of the world shouldn't be at the cost of the soul, rather both should be used to improve the other. I mentioned this on another thread, the idea that "the sun is a giant ball of gas on fire" doesn't change that "the sun is the god responsible for all life on earth", subjectivity and objectivity creates a larger whole together and ideally this is the true peak of enlightment of the self. Discarding the world leads to disconnection from reality, but being too absorbed in the mechanics of the world leads to losing the self entirely. Like everything else in the world, it's balance that should be the goal, not leaning too much in a single direction.

For others, I would agree, if it will make them happy:)
For me? Nah, I´m playing the lottery:)

I have had two great loves in my life. I as am still pretty. only 48. and in good health, and mostly not dead yet I am looking. I have other goals and family in my life. I just really miss that. So Romance awaits me.

Latest posts

Back