single parent dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
For those of you with divorced/deceased parents,
How did you deal with it when your surviving parent started dating?

My dad is starting to date and it's making me very uncomfortable and sad. It's weird to see him trying to look better and be more presentable for women. I'm torn between wanting him to find companionship and feeling betrayed on my mom's behalf.

advice/experiences please?

Well I still have both my parents so am lucky there.

Instead of thinking that your betraying your mom why don't you help ye dad. Give him advice on what you think would look good to where act. make sure he has a nice smelling deodorant. Say things like any women that don't wont you now is blind. I mean am sure your mom would wont your dad to not feel alone. Your not betraying your mom by helping your dad and being happy for him that hes trying to move on. Make sure that your dad knows he has your full backing and that you well always be hes little girl. just guessing but I would think this would mean the world to your dad.

Al this dose not mean that you can't remember your mom or even talk about her to him or anyone. She well always be your mom who ever your dad gets with. It dose not mean that anyone thinks any less of her.

Also * Big Internet HUGS for you*

when i was 13 my dad had an affair and my parents got divorced it sucked, it had become like i was the parent having to deal with two immature kids that won't get a long. I had a lot of anger taken out on me, i just wanted to kill someone. 4 years later things have calmed down a bit, my mom went out on a blind date in october of my freshman year, and she's been going out with the guy ever since. I didn't really mind, since it had been a few years after the divorce, and gets mom out the house (so i have it to myself and i can eat food in the living room, and all that stuff when your home by yourself) and also she isn't as angry as she use to be. I've met the guy and he's pretty nice. So i don't know, how long has it been since your parents split? has your mom started dating? I'm sure you don't want her to be alone while your dad is dating, maybe try and get her out on some dates. Then it shouldn't feel like a betryal if they're "even" parse

zem said:

My dad is starting to date and it's making me very uncomfortable and sad. It's weird to see him trying to look better and be more presentable for women. I'm torn between wanting him to find companionship and feeling betrayed on my mom's behalf.

It does feel strange. My mother dated a bit after her and my father divorced. I dealt with it by simply trying to be somewhere else as much as humanly possible.

In retrospect, I should have been more encouraging. She was just lonely, but at the time I was young and just didn't understand. I'm sure your dad is in a similiar position to how my mother was. He misses having a companion.

No one deserves to be lonely. Except me, apparently. :rolleyes:

:( I feel a little bit differently bc my mom died a little less than 6 mo ago.
I think my dad did a lot of his grieving while she was very sick, and yes he's been very very lonely,
as in sometimes talking out loud and becoming obsessed with keeping things around associated with my mom.
So I don't doubt that he loved her,
but I'm not even close to being ready for that.

Hi Zem,

My father died I guess about 4 years ago now. I don't want to sound cold here, but I didn't lose much sleep over it. He really meant nothing to me, although I did feel bad for my mum. Although they hadn't lived together and she only saw him when he visited (he lived a distance away with his 'other' family), which was less and less frequent over time mostly due to illness, she still loved him a lot and she was pretty cut up over it. But I know she was really lonely before this for a number of years, sometimes I'd catch her crying in the kitchen randomly in some weaker moment.

Maybe 18 months ago or so, she told me she had started to see this guy. She had actually known him quite a long time although just vague friends before that. Then some time last year she called me again to tell me that he had moved into the family home. I felt a bit wierd about that, even though I didn't live there anymore, but I'd still grown up there. It felt a bit like he was invading what was mine in an odd kind of way. Then towards the end of last year she told me that they were buying a house together, and sure enough she sold the house I grew up in and moved.

It's wierd that you posted this today. On saturday she called me up and told me that they were getting married, and soon too, next month in fact. I suppose I shouldn't really be suprised by that, after all they were already living together.

If I'm honest I don't really like the guy she is gonna marry. The couple of times I've met him, I find he irritates me quite a lot and I think he tries to speak for my mum too much. But at the same time, I know my mum has been lonely most of her life. Yeah she has had my brother and myself, but that's not always been easy as we basically can't stand each other, even now at 27 yrs old. I always tried to be supportive of my mum when I was growing up cos I knew she needed someone to be there for her and that had to be me. But now I guess that I am happy for her cos I know she is finally happy in her life.

I think in retrospect it was a good thing for her that my father had died- she finally let the hope go that they might be together and actually got on with her life. So anyway the wedding is next month. Kinda odd that it's so soon but I guess she is tired of wasting time now.

I think you have to just look at the bigger picture sometimes and appreciate that things won't always turn out the way you want them but you have to make the best of the way things actually are. My mum is happy and that is great, so yeah I don't like the guy but hey it's her life, if she is happy then so am I for her. I think it's amazing that after getting to almost 60 she finally found happiness. Hope for us all I guess?

oh I'm sorry i was under the impression that your parents were divorced, the guy my mother is going with his wife died several years ago and his kids had a hard dealing with him dating again

Yeah sorry I only just read your second post. It's pretty terrible when you lose someone, in fact I can barely think of anything worse. You know that your dad loves your mom though. Nothing can happen that will change that no matter what.

ahh! sorry I should have specified. I'm making this more of an awkward post than it already is.

zem said:

Hey, I'm going through the same thing with my mom. It is utterly ******* sad when older single people are just thrown over the side of the ship while young so called beautiful people of the world enjoy wasting everyone's life by being hella picky and refusing true love at every corner. It makes me not even want to try, but then when I look at my mom I think, ****! Who wants to die old an lonely. I'm lookin forward to heaven cause this world is fuckin honeysuckle when it comes to happiness. The only people I see happy are famous, or they are players and sluts. Gotta love it, right.

I'm not sure if my acceptance of my parents dating other people was because I'm all dead inside or because they were never really a couple to me. I mean, I think they might have only had sex a half dozen times, ever. My earliest memories do not have them as a couple. I'm sure this has greatly impacted my own views on relationships, though. So... I dunno if I'm lucky for not having to struggle through this stuff.

Latest posts

Back