So alone!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheMan

I just feel really lonely tonight. There was a girl who was interested in me as boyfriend material, but ended up just saying I was, to quote her exact words, "too smart" for her. This is really, really depressing. I feel so different from everyone else; no one understands the jokes I make, the sarcasm I use, or even the words sometimes. I was asked what the term "afoot" meant. I'm not pretending I'm better than anyone; I don't act like a know it all, I don't flaunt knowledge or vocabulary, or any of that. I just want to hang out with people in a normal way, but I'm rejected. I have always told myself that a good personality and being yourself will get you far. It turned out this is true...it get's me far from everyone else. It's just really frustrating and I just feel **** lonely. Blah.

I seriously know what you mean. It just seems like everybody's so dumbed down or something. The truth is though that if you've got even just half a brain you're going to be different. You have to look for people who are higher up on the intellectual scale. Stop slumming LOL is basically what I'm saying. The fact is that you really are probably better than the people you're trying to associate with in terms of intelligence.
If you have to keep trying to associate with these types of people then you're going to have to face the fact that you'll need to dumb yourself down some for them to be able to relate to you or understand you at all.

That will probably eventually get boring. I really suggest you go the other route. I'm speaking from experience here. Take it or leave it.

TheMan said:
I just feel really lonely tonight. There was a girl who was interested in me as boyfriend material, but ended up just saying I was, to quote her exact words, "too smart" for her. This is really, really depressing. I feel so different from everyone else; no one understands the jokes I make, the sarcasm I use, or even the words sometimes. I was asked what the term "afoot" meant. I'm not pretending I'm better than anyone; I don't act like a know it all, I don't flaunt knowledge or vocabulary, or any of that. I just want to hang out with people in a normal way, but I'm rejected. I have always told myself that a good personality and being yourself will get you far. It turned out this is true...it get's me far from everyone else. It's just really frustrating and I just feel **** lonely. Blah.

Ugh, that must really be annoying! I'm the opposite, people think I'm too dumb for them. It is really annoying especially when you have smart friends who find it amusing to confuse you with big words and confusing phrases.

Hey guys,

I'm in the 'too smart' camp. My problem is that I'm not exactly a rocket scientist--but not a dumb sheep other. So I can't seem to fit in anywhere!

I blame television, movies, and the public school system for dumbing us all down. Dumber people are easier to control and manipulate by our messed up government.

TheMan,

Why do you find youself being considered "too smart"? What do you do for a living, how old are you? Perhaps you are "slumming" as Some1 put it. :)

people are afraid of our noticeable self-awareness. not really awareness: more like self-doubt or analysis. we're living in our minds much of the time imagining outcomes, projecting scenes and events that'll never happen. being an introverted brings many intellectual qualities yes, but it also dampens our spontaneity. "dumb" people as you call them are just much more spontaneous, natural and free flowing. that's how they do better in society, they don't often question their own lives or the system they live in. it's a kind of "default acceptance". just try and become more spontaneous and natural, without losing your introspective abilities. don't be who you think you are, be WHAT you really are. that's what people really mean when they say Be Yourself.

husky said:
people are afraid of our noticeable self-awareness. not really awareness: more like self-doubt or analysis. we're living in our minds much of the time imagining outcomes, projecting scenes and events that'll never happen. being an introverted brings many intellectual qualities yes, but it also dampens our spontaneity. "dumb" people as you call them are just much more spontaneous, natural and free flowing. that's how they do better in society, they don't often question their own lives or the system they live in. it's a kind of "default acceptance". just try and become more spontaneous and natural, without losing your introspective abilities. don't be who you think you are, be WHAT you really are. that's what people really mean when they say Be Yourself.

as a new member , I find I can understand and can probaly relate to dumbing down . I think each one of us , have one time or another, did just that. not to be the center of attention. even though deep down, we wanted to be accepted . But for some reason or another the beautiful and the popular people could care less about our exitance. I know many of us retreated in to our shell ( as I did ) even though I wanted to one of the guys. But for some reason.I could never keep friends. Even though I never tried to out shine anyone, I tried to keep my abilities low keyed. But over time I have accomplished many things, one was I now understand myself much better. I have a few friends,not many though. What I'm trying to say is this ''Never Give Up on yourself ""

TheMan said:

The problem isn't you being smart but you and her needing someone you each connect with and be more compatible with but the even bigger problem is that she is scared or uncomfortable with being with someone different from her, an intelligent guy. You'll find someone who will find your jokes funny. For giving you up, it's her loss. You can find someone better.

Theman,

I think part of it may have been, if you were 'too smart' for this woman, that you made her feel dumb. I once went on a date when I thought it went wonderfully--lots of funny and clever comments made by yours truly. At the end of the date the guy literally RAN to his car. I asked him some weeks later why and he said he thought I was too intelligent and too demanding as though I was treated him as though he were stupid. Oh well, you'd better find some smarter people to associate with--I will, too!

lol, i wouldn't mind having a "smarter" girl who does all the talking.. but maybe you'd scare me too!

Latest posts

Back