I feel so lonely at college

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faye19

Reaction score
I'm at my boyfriends apartment for a party and everyone was so excited to see him but they all side eyed me. I'm sitting in his room about to cry because I tried to make conversations and it was awkward. I feel so lonely at college and find it hard to make friends

Hi. Sorry you are going through that.
Is it very clique-ish at your college?
Maybe let your BF know the others are not being so welcoming to you?
Or call your family and vent to them, if you are close with them. Venting helps. I do it here all the time.

Wish I could give you some good advice, but I just don’t understand youth of today. I think assertiveness and self confidence is very important, without being arrogant and a bully. Talk to your boyfriend, let him know how you feel, see how he responds and hopefully he’s not a jerk that is just using you for his own purposes. Good luck.

Hi. Sorry you are going through that.
Is it very clique-ish at your college?
Maybe let your BF know the others are not being so welcoming to you?
Or call your family and vent to them, if you are close with them. Venting helps. I do it here all the time.
I did mention but it went nowhere

It's okay to cry. If you are a visual person, sometimes it helps to draw a mind map. You can start with the problem or the solution or both, and work outwards from that on possible solutions or possible causes of the problem.

In my estimation, college is largely about shaping and preparing young minds for skilled and highly professional work. That's about it. The difficult part is that, humans are also animals. And mammals tend to be social creatures that are both territorial and hierarchical.

A lot of people recommend the book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People." While others, it seems, choose to focus their energy on skillfully avoiding the unpleasantness that comes with many, if not all, social encounters, to varying degrees and measures.

Sometimes it helps to step back from a problem, when the tears have dried, or when the weather is calmer, and really study the problem. And perhaps, it's not even necessary to study the problem, so as to find a solution. You can study the problem without the intent being to find a solution; study it just to learn about it.

And patience can often be a great virtue. Every journey begins with a simple step; along the way, there can be big steps, small steps, leaps, crawls, walks, runs, and even falls and missteps, but they are all part of the journey.

:)

Last edited:
I did mention but it went nowhere
To your BF?
Does he normally listen to you and take your side seriously?
Or does it usually go nowhere?
If nowhere...sounds like you may want to consider finding someone more caring and sincere.

@okidoke I haven't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People," so, perhaps I shouldn't be recommending it.

I have read, "Anyway," by Kent M. Keith, however.

The Chicken Soup for the Soul books are also good.

Anyway! Enough about contemporary living! :p

College was rough for me. I wouldn't want to go back, unless it was night school.

College was rough for me. I wouldn't want to go back, unless it was night school.
I went to commuter college.
After I went through in grade school & high school. No way I was going to go to sleep away college.
My thought on that were that at least when I got home from school, no one tormented me.
Bu if I went to sleep away college, I would never be able to get away from them.
Looking back...it seems that sleep away college may have some benefits as to growing socially.
But back then...I only saw it as a potential hell for me.

EDIT:
The college I went to is one of the largest and most well known in the NYC area, and has thousands of on campus residents.
So was not a "commuter college" per se...It was 20 minutes from my house and I commuted to it.

To your BF?
Does he normally listen to you and take your side seriously?
Or does it usually go nowhere?
If nowhere...sounds like you may want to consider finding someone more caring and sincere.
He takes my side but a lot happened yesterday I think he didn't know what to do

He takes my side but a lot happened yesterday I think he didn't know what to do
Sounds like immaturity right there I’m afraid. He better learn quick. Was there a side to take? All he has to do was comfort you at the time, hold your hand, include you in the conversation, etc. But also, you need to improve your people skills.

Latest posts

Back