So Lonely that I think I might be going crazy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySam

Reaction score
"A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody. Don't make no difference who the guy is, long's he's with you. I tell ya," he cried, "I tell ya a guy gets too lonely an' he gets sick."
— John Steinbeck (Of Mice and Men)

Anyone feel like this?

I have 0 friends. ZERO. I don't have a job. I suffer from social anxiety due to a health condition I possess. I have some acquaintances I can talk to at a mental health day service I attend on the weekdays but weekends are hell for me. Is a nyone else in my position. Want to talk? Please reply if you feel abla.

I empathize with you on this. I've gone crazy from loneliness before as well. I have my own quote about the subject! :p

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.

Loneliness is part of being human.
It reminds us that we are not
Complete in ourselves."

Whereabouts are you from?

I find that it is helpful to state where I am from in my profile on here, that way it shows I want to connect to others near me. :)

IgnoredOne said:
What is your health condition? Can you get treatment for it?

I don't like talking about it. I don't want to risk getting laughed at, even on the internet where I'm anonymous. That's how sensitive I am about it.

I did try to get it fixed but alas not much luck. I'm stuck with it for life I think.

SophiaGrace said:
I empathize with you on this. I've gone crazy from loneliness before as well. I have my own quote about the subject! :p

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.

Loneliness is part of being human.
It reminds us that we are not
Complete in ourselves."

Whereabouts are you from?

I find that it is helpful to state where I am from in my profile on here, that way it shows I want to connect to others near me. :)

I like the quote. I am from England. The North East Area. I haven't firgured out the profile page yet. I'll try and change it now.

I can understand, though there's a great value in courage too. Some people may laugh, but you are not responsible for their insensitivity and stupidity. I've had issues with being social before - massive issues, which at the time seemed impossible to breach; essentially, I had paralyzing panic attacks if I had to talk to people for long, and then an insane drive to 'escape.' The fact that I managed to get over it, and without any professional assistance persay, should give hope.

IgnoredOne said:
I can understand, though there's a great value in courage too. Some people may laugh, but you are not responsible for their insensitivity and stupidity. I've had issues with being social before - massive issues, which at the time seemed impossible to breach; essentially, I had paralyzing panic attacks if I had to talk to people for long, and then an insane drive to 'escape.' The fact that I managed to get over it, and without any professional assistance persay, should give hope.

I understand that line of arguement. The whole keep your head up thing, ignore the idiots, but:

'Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly--they'll go through anything. You read and you're peirced.' - Aldous Huxley

Some may call me soft. I prefer to think of myself as a sensitive, decent human person.

If I saw someone walking down the street with no arms I would look, of course I would. It's human instinct but I would try to avert my gaze as soon as possible and I would NEVER smirk, point and/ or laugh at that person. I would NEVER verbally abuse that person.

BTW I have both my arms, that's not my problem.

SophiaGrace said:
IgnoredOne said:
you are not responsible for their insensitivity and stupidity.

Exactly.

btw you might want to have a looksee at this thread: http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=12015

Thankyou. I changed my profile too.

Yes, The everything which is written here on this forum is 100% true as it is written, because i am also in that kind of condition and without a girl a man going to be mad or a crazy, He wants that to kill himself he wanna share his love to anyone or to seek any kind of peace.

I am at this very weird precipice in my social self-discovery right now where I feel an intense urge to go hook up with some twenty-somethings, despite being seventeen myself. This is the first time I've felt an actual "I'm missing out on something social" throbbing inside, hasn't felt this way before, with people from class, etc. But I don't believe that I am in any way better than people my own age, so I don't know what to do with the feeling. But could it harm anyone if I acted on it? Hmm... Maybe I am afraid of people my own age because they act as a mirror for myself?
Alas, yes, I feel this weird loneliness now. Haven't before.

LonelySam said:
"A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody. Don't make no difference who the guy is, long's he's with you. I tell ya," he cried, "I tell ya a guy gets too lonely an' he gets sick."

Anyone feel like this?

I have 0 friends. ZERO. I don't have a job. I suffer from social anxiety due to a health condition I possess. I have some acquaintances I can talk to at a mental health day service I attend on the weekdays but weekends are hell for me. Is a nyone else in my position. Want to talk? Please reply if you feel abla.

I'm a woman in my fifties and at this time of my life I am as lonely as you describe you are... I'm married but I have 0 friends. I don't know if a man and woman can create a friendship but I'm willing to try if you are.;)

lora said:
LonelySam said:

Anyone feel like this?

I'm a woman in my fifties and at this time of my life I am as lonely as you describe you are... I'm married but I have 0 friends. I don't know if a man and woman can create a friendship but I'm willing to try if you are.;)

I'm really happy about the replies I've received on this thread. I think it would be good to discuss ways that we 'Eleanor Rigbys' can try and make friends.

I've thought about joing some kind of club, like a book club at my local library. It'll get me talking to people but what I really desire is a true friend. I suppose you have to start somewhere, right?

I don't think I might be going crazy. I am crazy. Went crazy long ago. Loneliness does that to a person.

You'll do alright, mate. Social anxiety is an affliction I've had to deal with as well. It's a crippling thing, struggling to even make eye contact with other people, being seen to be socially awkward. I believe u can overcome it, though. The key is to try and not let it dominate you. Don't let that be what defines you.

Oh, and I'm from the sunny north west of England so if you ever want a good old, british, stiff upper lip gentleman's discussion, I would be happy to oblige.

How is the chance of finding a true friend lesser in the book club?

Hi Sam. I thought I was the only person in the world who can say they have no friends. Not that I go around saying it ;p but I did here and that's huge. It's definitely up there with one of the toughest statements a person can make. I understand how hard it can be. I wish I could say more, but I am in a very similar spot and I know it's not pleasurable.

Pheenix said:
How is the chance of finding a true friend lesser in the book club?

Now that you made me think about it, that is just my pessimism I suppose.

I suppose the very reason people go to things like book clubs is to meet like minded people, which always helps when trying to make friends, though opposites can attract also.

LonelySam said:

Anyone feel like this?

I am in the same situation. I have no friends either. I have acquaintances also. I live in a new city and know no one. I would love to talk. Every day is hell for me. I am so lonely. :(

misstiddliewinks said:
Hi Sam. I thought I was the only person in the world who can say they have no friends. Not that I go around saying it ;p but I did here and that's huge. It's definitely up there with one of the toughest statements a person can make. I understand how hard it can be. I wish I could say more, but I am in a very similar spot and I know it's not pleasurable.

It IS one of the toughest statements a person can make. I never thought I would ever be in this position. I would love to be able to make some friends here. It is hard for me to get out and do things. Want to talk?

Nan

15 year old male, no friends (not even acquaintances), been like this for years now. The only people I talk to is my family and of course, the Internet :D.

Sure, not participating with your peers (brings me down a lot) takes a huge toll on you. As much to the point as your willing to talk and have conversations with people that don't exist. I actually act everything out: walk around, point at, yell, sit down, laugh, etc. Yes, I am crazy. I am trying to stop but whenever I feel immense loneliness (every single day now) I just switch on to this mode and it helps me cope for a while.

I'm lonely too. Only maybe two real life friends (only one of which I sometimes see, the other rarely) and maybe a few I can talk to online. That's it. I feel like I don't fit in anywhere, and when I try I get treated poorly.

Latest posts

Back